Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Magnificent Seven / The Sons of Katie Goodyear (Pic heavy)

JanSolo

Practically Family
Sorry for the title Folks!

No, this thread does not belong in the silver screen section because I just wanted to show you a couple of my current shoes/boots. Now that autumn is moving in, the last boatshoe and loafer days are gone and it's time to get out the more substantial stuff.
This is my current Magnificent Seven:

10798527024_55535dc405_c.jpg

I could have looked harder in my closet to get the Dirty Dozen complete but I only wanted to show you the shoes that I really wear. Also most of these had some modification done, mainly to the sole/heel construction i.e. rubber half soles added, rebuilt stacked leather heel or different coloured edge dyes applied.

All of the work displayed was carried out by master shoemaker Marco Gräfe ( https://www.facebook.com/LipperSchusterbub/photos_stream ) who not only is an expert craftsman but also has good general taste and wears premium shoes on a daily basis. This helps a lot when you try to explain how a modification should look like.
BTW: Here's a shoe he made for himself:

10798770556_f4832849e9_z.jpg

As you can see it's not finished yet. It's based on a old bowling shoe...the uppers are made from an old leather couch and some horse CHXL for the toe cap. Great shoe for a fun project!

Here are some more pics of my current shoes/boots:

10798411355_93cdf290e4_c.jpg

White's /Hawthorne Ranch Farmer in brown Horween leather, custom made kiltie, leather laces

10798654453_4dab620804_c.jpg

RW 877 won on Ebay, custom made Scott Willis horsehide leather laces (via www.original-flightjackets.com )

10798414335_962217a3c3_c.jpg

Russell South 40 Birdshooter, triple vamp 7 inch moc boot, Horween CHXL

10798435926_ebb4b8f407_c.jpg

Hobo Chelsea Boot, brown calfskin, fully lined, new stacked heel and rubber halfsole, transparent edge trim

10798546854_f63afdfafb_c.jpg

Hobo 6 inch Derby Boot, dark brown shiny calfskin, new sole and stacked leather heel with natural rubber overlays and teak-coloured (matt) edge trim

10798420865_b9e64c7f8d_c.jpg

Red Wing Iron Rangers with urea resin finished heel and toe cap (not dyed, but permanently coated)

10798551114_30368ecd2a_c.jpg

Red Wing 9017 Beckman Chukkas with rebuilt two tone Rendenbach leather heel section, light brown transparent edge dye

That's all for now! I hope you like the pics.

Last edited:

reeks1

One of the Regulars
Wonderful stuff there!
I'm with you: when the temp dips below the mid-50's, it's boot time!!
My go-to are a pair of Alden Indy boots, but I have some Red Wings and some Quoddy chukkas, along with a pair of RM Williams and Blundstones.

They are all in outstanding condition!! What shoe-care products do you use?

I'm a BIG fan of Saphir, but I only use it on the Indys. I like my other boots to be clean, but not "buffed out" and shiny. More rugged.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
JanSolo,
Are you happy with your Red Wing 9017 Beckman Chukkas? I like the look of those quite a bit, but haven't seen much in the way of reviews or even wear pics.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks, guys!

What shoe-care products do you use?

I mainly use Elephant Leather Preserver, a fully synthetic fat which works great on all kinds of leathers (except cordovan). I never use a proper pigmented shoe polish...only neutral/clear shoe waxes for a light finish.

Are you happy with your Red Wing 9017 Beckman Chukkas?

Yes, I am! They are very well made and clearly a step up from your standard RW 875. They feature a full leather lining, much finer seams and a generally better finish when compared to other RWs I own. In fact the 9017 is a shoe that is so well made that you could find it in the more rugged section of Allen Edmonds' or Alden's product line-up.
They run true to size but they also run quite narrow. Fitwise I would compare them to the Iron Ranger i.e. comfortable around the forefoot but quite waisted around the arch.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I am! They are very well made and clearly a step up from your standard RW 875. They feature a full leather lining, much finer seams and a generally better finish when compared to other RWs I own. In fact the 9017 is a shoe that is so well made that you could find it in the more rugged section of Allen Edmonds' or Alden's product line-up.
They run true to size but they also run quite narrow. Fitwise I would compare them to the Iron Ranger i.e. comfortable around the forefoot but quite waisted around the arch.

Thank you very much.

wdw

One Too Many
Very nice collection. I particularly like the White's but I don't think you can get them in the UK, unfortunately.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Impressive looking items - Apart from the Hobo Chelsea I can't imagine myself ever having reason to wear such massive boots.

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Love the collection! I live in Alaska and I've based most of my rotation around boots and high top sneakers, usually chucks. It means not having to worry about whether or not the weather might change. I always envy a good boot collection :)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Impressive looking items - Apart from the Hobo Chelsea I can't imagine myself ever having reason to wear such massive boots.
Love the look of the Hobo Chelsea but would have to see them in the 'flesh' so to speak.
What is massive about them, they look similar to RM Williams just a little taller around the ankle(and made with 3 pieces).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Love the look of the Hobo Chelsea but would have to see them in the 'flesh' so to speak.
What is massive about them, they look similar to RM Williams just a little taller around the ankle(and made with 3 pieces).

Not the Hobo, the others they look like paramilitary footwear. Impressive but I'd never have reason to own a pair.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks fellas,

So do you start with choosing the boot de jour first and then add the rest?

I wish I could say that I would start every day by choosing my "Belle de Jour" but in fact it's usually the combination of jacket and trousers that comes first after that all the other bits and pieces chime in automatically.
As you can see all of the boots shown are either brown or tan which makes picking the right boot quite easy.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Not the Hobo, the others they look like paramilitary footwear. Impressive but I'd never have reason to own a pair.
OK, yes its the way I read it. Not keen on the big boots either, the white soles are definitely not for me. Though I often wear British Army assault boots to work, but only to work and searching scrapyards etc.
I quite like the Red Wing 9017 as well I may add.

Last edited:

Tadite

Familiar Face
I'll put up a few pics of some of my favorites a bit later in the week. Currently it's nothing but rain, wind, and ever increasing darkness. Not great photography weather!

I like how you waxed/oiled the Iron Rangers. I hadn't thought about detailing it by using the different consistencies. I think I may try that the next time I need to re-weatherproof my boots.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Nice boots!

How do the RW 877 compare to the Russel Birdshooters?

I have a pair of 877 that i really like and have been eyeing the Russels for a while, did you do the whole foot tracing and custom made thing, or are they standard size?

Is that the original welt/sole on the Russels?

Well, i just found your original thread on the boots:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...Boot-in-brown-Horween-CHXL-from-OFJ-Pic-heavy

I guess it has answered my questions... Do you know if they still sell them?

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Another supporter here of the Beckman Chukka's ... I have a pair of the 9017's and also a pair of the ones made for J. Crew both in Burgundy ... which are equally fine and broadly the same ( the J. Crew have a pull tab on the rear and the heel is a little shorter in length .. otherwise identical as far as I can tell ( and significantly cheaper).

fine boots sir .. wear them well :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112