The Man Purse Aka. THE MURSE YES or NO ?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Sonero, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Abraham

Abraham One of the Regulars

[​IMG] My murse...

robrinay and Trenchfriend like this.
  2. Cocker

Cocker Practically Family

My new bag, excellent modern take of the WW2 aviator kit bag by In Memories Sportswear!

[​IMG]

Captain Sensible, Alz, Sonero and 2 others like this.
  3. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

personally no, as I want to let my jacket does its only function... extra storage

4. Sonero

Sonero Practically Family

Is this the slim mail bag version ? Is the quality of the leather still good 2019 ? Someone mentioned they changed leather quality ? The look is fantastic. No luck getting a copy made in Mexico.

5. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

E66E756C-EA0C-4A41-9BC6-6FAB744429AF.jpeg 93C22CF2-4107-401F-9282-9D348DA281FD.jpeg
    Here are a few pics to show detail and compare it to the real thing

Attached Files:

Trenchfriend, Sonero and Alz like this.
  6. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

I bought mine on eBay from a bloke who’d bought an early version of the larger model from the kickstart website. It’s a little smaller than the real thing but the leather is the same quality and thickness. Originals have d rings on the back to attach the shoulder strap but the Satchel and Page has them on the sides and also has a carry handle and a buckle and strap to hold the front flap closed - I fitted some to my original which didn’t have a closure. The fittings look like brass and are non magnetic so probably are brass and the rivets are copper. I can’t speak for the current versions quality etc but they have a padded shoulder pad fitted to the shoulder strap before the hardware is fitted. I know this because I tried to buy one from Satchel and Page and they said I’d need a whole strap for a fairly high price. So I made my own and stitched it in situ.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  7. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Isn't it a cutie?? ;)

The special point on it:
    The depth is 7,8 cm, so you can perfectly lay a usual 0,5 l soda bottle on the bottom for underways. :)

Attached Files:

Héctor Fernández likes this.
  8. Faux Brummell

Faux Brummell New in Town

I haven’t read the entire thread, but - in a place called The Fedora Lounge I can’t be the only guy who carries a WWII British respirator bag...

0B914D14-4DED-4E6D-8DA2-AFBD28D084CA.jpeg

Alz, Sonero, tropicalbob and 2 others like this.
  9. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I alternate a WWII resp bag with a stringbag backpack.

Trenchfriend and Faux Brummell like this.
  10. OldGreyBird

OldGreyBird New in Town

The best option I've found is a US Army musette bag with shoulder strap---various decent repros are readily available (mine comes from At The Front Militaria). It doesn't clash with my wardrobe too noticeably because I'm usually wearing a flight jacket...your lifestyle-choices may vary.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  11. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

That was a backpack style in my neighborhood for about a year when I was a kid. I thought they were pretty cool. Today it's too big for a murse, and too small for all the less personal crap I take to work.

12. Edward

Edward Bartender

There's a lot to be said for buying a bag that isn't the biggest option available. The bigger you buy, the more you'll carry. It's a lot like wallets in that regard. I find a bag that's just big enough for a 10" tablet, phone, sunglasses, a novel and maybe a small bottle ideal for a daybag. Fro more capacity - unexpected shopping or whatever - I keep a couple of those fold-up nylon shoppers tucked in one of the pockets.

13. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Perhaps I should have been more specific. 'Too big for a murse' means too big for me.'

I agree with your assessment that the bigger the bag, the more you'll carry. For me, the 'murse' (stringbag, WWII resp bag) only needs to be big enough to hold my wallet, a small jar of glucose tablets, my small insulin freezer pack, and a few other similarly-or-smaller sized items. This bag goes everywhere with me. Anything bigger, such a laptop, power cord, headphones, whatever, go into a small dufflebag that goes with me back and forth to work only.

It's all what works for the individual.

14. Old Mariner

Old Mariner One of the Regulars

I have small canvas bags for such purposes. Two are vintage Swedish map bags (one is more flexible than the other, so I use that to keep my clothes pins in - the other is for things like eye drops, tissues, etc., plus I can fit my Kindle in it if need be though at that point I just switch to my medium sized bag).

The largest of the bags holds my tablet, and the medium size bag I use for my Kindle. It just makes it easier for me to use these for the reasons why I got them.

Alz and Trenchfriend like this.
  15. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Going to buy a leather ‘helmet’ bag from Five Star, which as well as other uses will make for a great flight bag when we can travel by air again in the UK....

16. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I recently switched from a string bag back pack to one of my Swiss medical bags that I've had for decades. This one is the one in better (perfect) condition.

20200519_195325.jpg

I wear it slung over my right shoulder, Dr. Jones style.

bn1966 and Trenchfriend like this.