The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Discussion in 'Hats' started by The Wiser Hatter, May 16, 2011.

1. Possibly from Osage Iron Works. Another town that's under the Lake of the Ozarks.

Osage_Iron_Works_Hats_Cigs.jpg

Redfokker, RBH, hatsRme and 11 others like this.
  2. I always heard Osage Iron moved before the lake was filled & ended up being the fabricator on the shores at Linn Creek, or the one on the SE side of Camdenton.

Zombie_61, Bamaboots and BobHufford like this.
  3. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

Chicago, 1941

[​IMG]

Redfokker, RBH, A.C and 14 others like this.
  4. ^ They don't look particularly happy, do they?

Redfokker and Rumad like this.
  5. This came across my Facebook feed. I think I'd rather be the guy in the hat this week.

Miss_Hesse_1959.jpg

Marion Liebig, Miss Hesse 1959, keeps warm under the artificial sunshine of an infra-red lamp in a snow-covered park in Wiesbaden, Germany, Jan. 18, 1960. The shivering bystander standing nearby is unidentified. The lamp, shown at the nearby sporting goods fair, is powered by bottled gas.

Redfokker, RBH, steur and 8 others like this.
  6. Rumad

Rumad One Too Many

HA!

hatsRme and Bamaboots like this.
  7. hatsRme

hatsRme

Maybe he can find fish, Jack and @BobHufford. He’s late for the convention, though… https://dowsers.org/about-us/
    They still hold their annual (although virtual again) convention in Danville, Vermont. I remember seeing crowds with sticks on the Green as a kid.

Redfokker, BobHufford and Bamaboots like this.
  8. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

1880's couple pose with their new double loop holsters and the man with the squeaky clean shotgun chaps.

[​IMG]

Redfokker, RBH, steur and 10 others like this.
  9. IMG_7391.PNG

IMG_7390.PNG

IMG_7393.JPG

Berlin & Hicks made appearances together telling stories during the last days of the Wild West Show era.

IMG_7392.jpg

Redfokker, RBH, steur and 9 others like this.
  10. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

steur and Zombie_61 like this.
  11. Bulls…(something) Bob would be more appropriate. :rolleyes:

12. LOL...as John Houseman used to say on those Smith-Barney commercials, you "earrrned it!"

13. Bamaboots

Bamaboots

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    BobHufford, Redfokker, Rumad and 6 others like this.
  14. Note the welded chain mic stand.

IMG_7768.JPG

quikrick, RBH, Rmccamey and 6 others like this.
  15. RBH

RBH Bartender

Homer Pickens, far right, at Clayton Lake Dam construction site.
    Photo: 1955, New Mexico Game and Fish.

“…we saw where a pickup truck had backed around and driven over a gopher mound,” Pickens wrote in his book, Tracks across New Mexico.” … judging from the location of the pickup, we were able to ascertain the trajectory of the bullet that had killed the deer. We found the slug embedded near the base of an aspen tree… It had mushroomed some and still had blood and hair on it. We followed the tire tracks down the slope…”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Homer Pickens on left; Director Barker on right, with unidentified companions. Photo: New Mexico Game and Fish

Rmccamey, Zombie_61, Rumad and 4 others like this.
  16. Knoxville 1909.

Coca_Cola_Truck_1909.jpg

17. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

December 22, 1942

Levitt Luzern Custer had always been interested in how things worked. Born in Dayton, he graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1913. Custer’s first invention was the Custer Bubble Statoscope, which registered the rise and fall of aircraft. By 1916, the Statoscope had proven so popular that Luzern had a four-story brick building constructed on Franklin Street and the Custer Specialty Company was born.

Then came World War I. By the time it ended, over 4,000 amputations had been performed on U.S. soldiers, many of whom came to the Dayton Soldiers’ Home (now called the V.A. Medical Center) for rehabilitation. This prompted the invention of the Custer Invalid Chair, a three-wheel motor vehicle that ran on batteries. [It had a single stick for control so one-armed veterans could steer it - Fruno] Designed to be used by invalids as a sort of self-propelled wheelchair, it would travel 10 to 15 miles before it needed recharging. Custer was granted design patent #D53,891 for his electric motorized wheelchair on October 7, 1919.

Unfortunately, while Custer’s invention allowed the veterans to travel into town, since the Soldiers’ Home was on a hill, many times the chair would run out of power on its way back. This led Custer to invent a gasoline version of his invalid car. Custer’s gasoline-powered wheelchair was granted patent #2,306,042 on December 22, 1942.
    Image: The gasoline-powered version of Levitt Luzern Custer’s Invalid Car
    - Text from “On This Date in Dayton's History" by Curt Dalton

Custer.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  18. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

A group of cowboys readying for a day’s work paused long enough in front of their chuck wagon, circa 1880s, for a photographer to capture them in all their tack and hat styles, including a few of Stetson’s bestselling Boss of the Plains.

[​IMG]

19. ^^^Reminds me of the poster of Kevin O'Farrell & the first Cowboy Gathering of Durango in 1989. Wish I had been there.

IMG_4524.JPG

IMG_4530.PNG

20. Am I reading that correctly? Does it say "Cowboy Poetry Gathering"? What a wonderful idea!

BobHufford and Rmccamey like this.