Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Okie From Muskogee's Hats

RBH

Bartender
Merle Haggard

I have to say I like his look when he wears a fedora.

haggardSMALL.jpg

oddlots

New in Town
And just when I was wondering if it'd be appropriate to wear my fedora to an upcoming Merle/Willie concert!

Great pictures.

(and yes, I'm totally serious about wearing my lid to an upcoming Merle and Willie show)

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
i have seen merle in a silver belly fedora, too....i have noticed several country entertainers that wear fedoras, included some side men....

mark tssb

hatflick1

Practically Family
If you have not yet watched the PBS series below, try to catch it.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/21/entertainment/la-et-merle-haggard-20100721

Not only is the Merle Haggard music and bio engaging, but what a Bakersfield trainload of fedoras. Merle wears at least four different styles (to include open crown Open Road). Then there's this beauty on Keith Richards' head, which he sports with a wavy wide brim and cocks slightly to one side. The band members wear any number of stingy brims, all appearing vintage or vintage inspired design. And several music producers, commenting on the impact of Haggard's impact on the industry, wear various hats that would make a Lounger proud.

If any of you watch the documentary, one question. Do Merle's fedoras appear custom made? I couldn't be sure.

jwalls

Vendor
Merle and the Possum recorded the greatest unheard country album ever " Yesterday's Wine".:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I just watched the PBS American Masters series last night featuring Merle. He wore a few different fedoras and an open road style hat with a tall open crown. His son who was touring as his lead guitarist, at age 15, was wearing a fedora as well. Also seemed to be the preferred hat of other band members. Good special if you get the opportunity to see it. I haven't always been a fan, but he's really a national treasure.

merle_haggard.jpg

Mav

A-List Customer
RBH said:
I havent seen Merle, but have worn a straw fedora to see Willie.
Merle kicks a** live. Saw him for the first time when I was 16- opening act was some unknown hippy chick, Emy Lou Harris.lol
Wearing the Campdraft to Trayce Atkins and Toby Keith next month. Tends to be more fedoras in that whole crowd as late- maybe a return to retro- country roots.

texashatman

Familiar Face
That was a great documentary and I noticed about 50 different lids in it.

It's like the lounge Motto " If a guy doesn't have a lid, he is not worth talking about."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui