The Open Road Guild

Discussion in 'Hats' started by John in Covina, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Only pic in file, Roger:

IMG_1679.JPG

2. Rogera

Rogera My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thank you! That's a good looking hat

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  3. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

image.jpg
    Greetings All:
    Hey Rogera, here’s one that’s not a true sweat stamped OR but it looks just like an OR to me except for the “no bow” ribbon. Brim is 2 3/4”, marked Genuine Panama sweat. Light, comfy and breathes well. Hope that helps.
    Be well. Bowen.

4. ronssmith

ronssmith New in Town

Greetings. I just joined the forum recently to learn more about the Akubra Campdraft Deluxe, as my sons ordered one for me as a birthday present. It should be here by the end of this week.

Here is a shot my older son took the other day of me wearing my 4X Open Road that I bought in Arizona in 1985.

[​IMG]
    20180120 7465bb
    by Ron Smith, on Flickr​

5. RJR

RJR

Hat-Stetson-OR-Panama 3.jpg
    This one is marked Panama and OR.

6. Desert dog

Desert dog My Mail is Forwarded Here

Great looking brim! It fits you well. I have two Campdrafts, one deluxe, in moonstone. I am very happy with mine and wear them a lot. Welcome aboard! A lot of good people and information here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

7. ronssmith

ronssmith New in Town

Thank you sir! That OR has been through slightly more than half of my life (so far).

Coincidentally, my silverbelly Campdraft Deluxe just arrived from Katoomba! Just have to decide now on how to bash the crown.

8. rclark

rclark Call Me a Cab

Royal Stetson Open Road
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sweat has some deterioration but the felt is sublime. Liner clean as a whistle.

9. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

wonderful piece Rick ... envious

rclark, deadlyhandsome and M Hatman like this.
  10. rclark

rclark Call Me a Cab

Thanks Ant! As a collector I was a bit disappointed in the conditions the sweat, but the felt is unlike most any Royal Stetsons that I have handled. Extremely light and pliable.

11. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

That's gorgeous, Rick. Sweat be damned.

deadlyhandsome, M Hatman and rclark like this.
  12. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

sweat doesn't look too bad to me

not like something that will worsen anyway

love that hat

deadlyhandsome, M Hatman and rclark like this.
  13. rclark

rclark Call Me a Cab

Thanks so much! I'm very pleased despite my quibbles about the sweat!

M Hatman likes this.
  14. rclark

rclark Call Me a Cab

Not too much. Think I may attach some cloth tape behind the weaker spots to bolster it up a bit to ensure it will not split further. Arrived intact but dry. Added a light touch of Lexol and the darn thing fell apart on me. I felt sick but it would have happened no matter what. Regardless, I do have another hat or two!

M Hatman and Bamaboots like this.
  15. Is it easy to reshape the crowns on the new Stetson Royal DeLuxe Open Roads? Does anyone know what the open crown height is? Thanks in advance.

M Hatman and Frunobulax like this.
  16. Yes, easily reshaped & mine look to be 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 inches.

17. M Hatman

M Hatman My Mail is Forwarded Here

From a late 50's early 60's Stetson Western Catalog....THEY SHORTENED THE BRIM!!!!:eek::eek::confused::confused::mad: More on the Catalog here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...a-of-the-golden-era.92141/page-4#post-2375635
    M
    PS From what I can tell that short brim OR did not last long at all but went back to normal in short order. However that short brim version (that was renamed) was produced for a while and actually became a favorite for auctioneers!!!!
    Open road.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Bamaboots, BobHufford and rclark like this.
  18. Mr. Cragganmore

Mr. Cragganmore New in Town

The problem with a Stetson fedora is that there are so many great models. I’m in a bit of a quagmire right now. I’m about to purchase one but hmmmm, which one. If only I had an endless cash flow...

deadlyhandsome and RJR like this.
  19. alanfgag

alanfgag

It was the end of the road.

20. quikrick

quikrick Practically Family

I sniped this on eBay a few months ago. The eBay pics show the Silverbelly OR pretty wrinkled up. I tried really hard to get the wrinkles out with steam, but they prove to be pretty stubborn. The two pics with the world map in the background are after I gave it my best shot with steam. The brim is still kinda wonky. Oh and a shot of me in Santa Rosa NM in front of the Route 66 Auto Museum from a recent road trip. I noticed that the pics are out of order! I have no idea how old this Open Road is, the eBay add said it was from the 60's?[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]