The Open Road Guild

Discussion in 'Hats' started by John in Covina, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

2. None

Orvil,

My San Antonio is a dead ringer for my two Stetson ORs, crown height/brim width are exact, but they are all different colors. I haven't heard of the "Dalworth", though I know Resistol made a "Fort Worth". In your photo the hat appears to be a light to medium brown, not what I'd call silverbelly. Was it the lighting?

Anyway, nice hat.

Robin

3. Orvil Newton

Orvil Newton One of the Regulars

The label inside the sweat band quite clearly says Style: Dalworth. Ah well, what's in a name, eh?

As for the color, the photo I posted looks, on my monitor at least, exactly correct but the auction photos on ebay were a bit confusing. The hat is a beautiful, to my eye, light fawn color.

4. jimmy the lid

jimmy the lid I'll Lock Up

Lefty -- I don't know what inspired that particular bash for your 7X, but check out the cowpoke on the left in this 1948 Stetson ad...;)

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    JtL

5. Duck

Duck Practically Family

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

After giving it a more typical fedora bash, I shaped the hat on my head - no kidding. I guess I have that 40s western feel right in my fingers.

Ross Young likes this.
  7. duggap

duggap Banned

Did you ever notice that in all most every picture you see of Truman with a hat the brim is snapped up, not down.[huh]

8. Colby Jack

Colby Jack Call Me a Cab

'tis a thing of beauty!...love them OR's....Saw one in an antique store the other day, 7 3/8, name brand of Rothschild I believe in silver belly. Thought about buying it, but it's way to small for me....:D

9. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

How much did they want for it? I don't have a Rothschild. I'll offer a finder's fee to the Colby Jack Fund for Wildlife... or Wild Life.

10. XPLSV

XPLSV One of the Regulars

1st Wearing

Got the Royal Deluxe Open Road (posted earlier) rebashed enough for the first day of wear...both for me and, I believe, the hat! The cattleman's crease on this one did not prove as stubborn as the one on the Twenty-Five...I'm still working on that one. I still want to smooth out the curves on the bash on this one some more...

[​IMG]

11. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]

Here's the story behind the bash.

12. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

I'll start by staying that I ended up taking my Worth Walden beaver custom open road out to MT instead of my Wards cowboy which I had been intending.

Anyway...

I found it interesting how out there everyone I talked to referred to it as a fedora (as it should be), while out here in MD, it's mistaken for a cowboy hat all the time. I also thought it was cool how when people complimented me on it, it was usually, "hey, kid, nice open road", instead of just, "nice hat".

They sure know their lids out there.

13. Justdog

Justdog Practically Family

OR 25

Recently recieved a 25 in org box with LO tag attached and 25 dollar sticker.
    No store embossing on sweatband. Reeded band with wind tie. Inside the box was the slip of paper reading Inspected by #11 If it is necessary to return any hats from this lot please return this slip with merchandise to: John B Stetson Company PHILA.22, PA.. Does this help date the item? This particular hat has the classic bash( That would be the cattleman crease). Have another 25 but it is not bashed in the classic OR form. When the hats were sold blocked was a stiffener applied? My unblocked 25 seams to have an original pinch and center dent and is not as stiff as the blocked OR. Is this blocking easy to remove? Were individuals able to just pick an unblocked model and then personalize it before it had stiffiner applied? What was used for stiffiner? Definately a difference in the stiffness of my several OR hats. Any thoughts anwers? Thanks

14. Justdog

Justdog Practically Family

Hx Senior Hats

That was a great post. Any idea what the hard hat looked like that was modeled on the senior hat?

15. Selentino

Selentino One of the Regulars

My New OR

[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

Thanks Lefty!

16. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Great job on the bash! :eusa_clap

I'm glad that you're happy with the hat.

17. univibe88

univibe88 One Too Many

What is the open crown height of a vintage OR? Did it vary like the brims?

18. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Some of my older photos were in a now apparently dead flickr account. I'm going to try to rebuild. This is the earliest post on this thread that will allow me to edit. The next few posts are about the bash in my 7x vs. one posted by Carter in another thread.

I've since sold my 3x, so I won't post that one. It's just not mine to post anymore.
    Here's my 25
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. indycop

indycop I'll Lock Up

Kinda looks like a "delta wing" from the top.:D The F117 crease!

20. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Now, here's the 7x.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]