The Open Road Guild

Discussion in 'Hats' started by John in Covina, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Mr. Paladin

Mr. Paladin My Mail is Forwarded Here

Welcome to the Lounge, Doug. The OR Guild is a great place to hang out. Post some pics when you get the chance.

2. BobC

BobC My Mail is Forwarded Here

Welcome, Doug. You'll like it here. Lots of really good folks who love hats and other things vintage.

3. DougC

DougC Practically Family

thanks for the welcome--I need a vintage OR to compliment the new hats. I also need one of those non-Stetsons by Stetson to make an interesting addition. This is really going to be expensive--but, I have collected hats my entire life. There is an attorney lounge further down the board that I've promised picture to--I'll post here too as soon as I learn how to post pics.

4. GClark

GClark One of the Regulars

Posted this in the new hat thread, but thought you guys might be able to tell me if this is indeed an Open Road.

Just got this in via ebay, and it was billed as a 1950s Stetson Open Road.
    The hat had been rennovated (more than had been clear in the description) and the sweat has been replaced, it appears. I'm not really even sure it is an Open Road - what do you guys think?
    2 5/8" brim, 4 3/4 inch crown height (shaped)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Sure looks like it could've started out as one but I have a 25 that looks just like an OR but doesn't say Open Road anywhere. I've also had a 3X that did the same. Some specifically say Open Road or The Open Road where others that look identical just don't. Go figure... [huh]

6. DougC

DougC Practically Family

For what its worth--the two I bought brand new last month don't say open road anywhere on the hat, just on the boxes.

7. Do they have a tag behind the sweatband? A modern OR I had recently had no markings except on the printed tag with style, size & color, something like OPNRD....[huh]

8. DougC

DougC Practically Family

One did and the other didn't.

9. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

Yup Deputy same here. Shudde Bros had a thin label attached to the liner that states OPNRD. You would think it would be very prominently displayed.
    Tom D.

10. kiltie

kiltie Practically Family

Hiya, DougC

I work a #1's fire station, right behing the Alamo. Convenient for dropping hats by Paris for cleaning and reblocking, etc...

11. DougC

DougC Practically Family

Kiltie--I go by your station every day. Seems to be the fastest way to the office. You know, I was hesitant about going downtown for an office, but, it has not disappointed. Stop by sometime to say hello--I'll send a pm with the address.

12. DougC

DougC Practically Family

Ok--with 15 posts, I must not have the ability to pm yet! I'm directly across Broadway in Suite 617.

13. Brown OR

Welcome to the Lounge DougC. I'm interested in the brown OR that Paris Hatters has made for them that you had mentioned before. How "light brown" is the color? I'd sure like to find an OR in like a medium brown. I have one OR that is a pale tan. I also have a black OR and a gray Resistol San Antonio as well as a straw OR.

14. DougC

DougC Practically Family

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow (and post my two hats as well). I can tell you, Abe is getting to know me pretty well--I bought two hats, my father-in-law bought a hat, I bought another hat for my dad, and I bought a hat for my (law) partner's birthday present. My wife has cut me off from buying hats until the new year...thankfully, it's December!

As for the color, it's a nice medium shade of brown. The ribbon is a little lighter in color than the hat.

15. Brown OR

That's what I'm looking for. Off to Google Paris Hatters. Thaknks

16. deanzat

deanzat One of the Regulars

17. Mr. Paladin

Mr. Paladin My Mail is Forwarded Here

18. DougC

DougC Practically Family

GentlemanFarmer--the Paris Hatters website is down and currently being reconstructed. When I figure out how to get a picture off my phone and onto my computer, I'll post a couple pictures of th brown OR for you. or, send me you e-mail and I'll send it directly to you from the phone. FYI--the color is a nice medium brown--not sure if I like it more than the gray, very nice hat.

19. texashatman

texashatman Familiar Face

20. DougC

DougC Practically Family

Gentlemanfarmer--picture is on its way from my phone. Let me know if you need more.

Wore my OR for a few hours today in the rain--a friend tried to warn me that I was going to ruin the hat--Took it off when I got home and it dried perfectly! Great hat!

Jhoff_1979 likes this.