Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ORIGINAL Optimo Indy

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Up until I moved away from SoCal I considered myself to be very fortunate when it came to fedoras. Why you ask? Well I'll tell you. You see, there is a certain member the the SoCal Tribe (Rundquist) that purchases hats from Optimo more often then some people change there socks! As luck would have it, I wear the exact same size! Every time he bought a hat I could try it on and see how that particular color, style, etc, would look on me without having to spend huge dough.
I figured it was just a matter of time before he got tired of some and wanted to start selling them and this past year I had my chance. It wasn't just any fedora either, it was the Indy style fedora that Adam had them make before they started selling the "Indy Brown" color and style. This lid was made in the lightweight "Pecan" color and is just beautiful.
This hat is in my possesion now and it just made a visit back to Optimo with me today. I prefer the wider 1 3/4" ribbons over the standard 1 1/2" so I had them change it out. Graham asked me if I wanted to replace the sweatband which has Rundquist's initials punched into it. I consider this hat to be part of "Indygear History" so I decided to just have my initials added. Here's some pics:
Pecan1-vi.gif

The ribbon is dark brown, but looks almost black here.
PecanInside-vi.gif

Here are both sets on initials. I was a little alarmed at mine being put in the front, but Graham said that I don't have to worry about them transferring to my forehead! :p
GearNme-vi.gif

Here's one with me wearing it alongside my Indygear.

I'll post this over @ COW as soon as they are able to get it back on the rails.
PBG

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Looking good, big guy. I do like that pecan color a bunch, and agree with you the wider ribbon suits the taller crown as it appears on you. For your next hat, you might try a wider brim, unless you like a sleeker look that this hat affords you. Nice hat!

G

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Rekindled desires

Nice, Dan. Nice.

You know, what is it about Optimo? While there are a number of good, new hats available, everytime I see an Optimo I think, "Wow." I mean that is, to me, the classiest looking of the bunch. What I dig most about their hats is simply the liner and sweat. Oddly, the part that no one ever sees (while wearing). But that simple print inside the crown and the pristeen white of the liner...To me, that is what elegance is. Simple. Tasteful. Nothing at all wrong with what any other maker does inside its hat. And I won't even attempt to debate one hat over another - not nearly enough experience to do that. But they got it goin' on inside...or something like that.

Congratulations on the hand me down, PBG. And again, welcome home.

Cab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points