Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

The Penney's Marathon

Styleslover

New in Town
Nice hat. Judging by the company logo, I’m going to say prior to 1952. It was about that time that the company switched to the “Penney’s” logo posted by Moehawk a few comments above in this thread.
Thanks man! The hat reminds me of the hats in 20-30s era with the 2 1/8 brim and high crown era before the long brim style hats.

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
Thanks man! The hat reminds me of the hats in 20-30s era with the 2 1/8 brim and high crown era before the long brim style hats.

That logo was in use in the 20s, 30s, and 40s. So that would be consistent with your hunch, but I can’t narrow it down more than that.

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
What does double brim mean? I notice it says that on the sweatband. I tried researching it but I couldn’t get a solid answer

I don’t know. Phrases on hat bands are often vague marketing slogans. It might refer to the quality or thickness of the felt. Penney’s, in those days was a main street store located in small towns and cities across America. They generally sold very good to excellent quality merchandise at a very good price. The typical customer was the average citizen trying to make their dollars stretch so quality was always a strong selling point. Thinking it refers to quality of the felt is just a guess. Perhaps one of the hatters aboard this chat has a better suggestion.

Styleslover

New in Town
I don’t know. Phrases on hat bands are often vague marketing slogans. It might refer to the quality or thickness of the felt. Penney’s, in those days was a main street store located in small towns and cities across America. They generally sold very good to excellent quality merchandise at a very good price. The typical customer was the average citizen trying to make their dollars stretch so quality was always a strong selling point. Thinking it refers to quality of the felt is just a guess. Perhaps one of the hatters aboard this chat has a better suggestion.
Thanks man! For the information!

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
Hats have been made with two layers of felt in the brim.

Thanks Vic,

That’s interesting. Do you have any more information you can share? How was the felt doubled - by adhesive or some felting process that fused the layers together? Because of the extra material and production steps involved were these hats sold at premium prices?

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
Can you please provide more information on this? I've been trying to tie Penney's logos to years for some time, and have never found a ready reference. You seem to be pretty sure, so I'd love to know more.

Here’s a photo showing a compilation of different J.C. Penney Logos. You will notice a shift from using variations of the name from J.C. Penney Company Incorporated to the shortened version “Penney’s”. That happened sometime in the early 1950s. When exactly I don’t know, I may be mistaken on the exact year, but 1952 seems to ring a bell.
5884816E-0BE4-4E40-ACD1-0471745CE3EB.jpeg

Here’s a photo showing a compilation of different J.C. Penney Logos. You will notice a shift from using variations of the name from J.C. Penney Company Incorporated to the shortened version “Penney’s”. That happened sometime in the early 1950s. When exactly I don’t know, I may be mistaken on the exact year, but 1952 seems to ring a bell.
View attachment 379667

Thanks. Now we need one of those with the Marathon logos.

M Hatman

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While looking about for information on my hat here:

I found this article on their House Brands from 2014....

Of course that store display is not from 1914........

"Marathon Hats – 1914​

marathon-hats-1914.jpg

This is how it all started: a line of elegant fedoras that was the first of what would become many in-house brands for Penney, launched a century ago this year."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
secondhandmaz