The Penney's Marathon

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Bogie1943, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Styleslover

Styleslover New in Town

Thanks man! The hat reminds me of the hats in 20-30s era with the 2 1/8 brim and high crown era before the long brim style hats.

Jerry Probst likes this.
  2. Jerry Probst

Jerry Probst One of the Regulars

That logo was in use in the 20s, 30s, and 40s. So that would be consistent with your hunch, but I can’t narrow it down more than that.

3. Styleslover

Styleslover New in Town

What does double brim mean? I notice it says that on the sweatband. I tried researching it but I couldn’t get a solid answer

4. Jerry Probst

I don’t know. Phrases on hat bands are often vague marketing slogans. It might refer to the quality or thickness of the felt. Penney’s, in those days was a main street store located in small towns and cities across America. They generally sold very good to excellent quality merchandise at a very good price. The typical customer was the average citizen trying to make their dollars stretch so quality was always a strong selling point. Thinking it refers to quality of the felt is just a guess. Perhaps one of the hatters aboard this chat has a better suggestion.

Styleslover likes this.
  5. Styleslover

Styleslover New in Town

Thanks man! For the information!

6. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

Hats have been made with two layers of felt in the brim.

deadlyhandsome and Jerry Probst like this.
  7. Jerry Probst

Thanks Vic,

That’s interesting. Do you have any more information you can share? How was the felt doubled - by adhesive or some felting process that fused the layers together? Because of the extra material and production steps involved were these hats sold at premium prices?

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  8. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]

9. Jerry Probst

deadlyhandsome and BobHufford like this.
  10. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Can you please provide more information on this? I've been trying to tie Penney's logos to years for some time, and have never found a ready reference. You seem to be pretty sure, so I'd love to know more.

Just Daniel and Styleslover like this.
  11. Jerry Probst

Here’s a photo showing a compilation of different J.C. Penney Logos. You will notice a shift from using variations of the name from J.C. Penney Company Incorporated to the shortened version “Penney’s”. That happened sometime in the early 1950s. When exactly I don’t know, I may be mistaken on the exact year, but 1952 seems to ring a bell.
    5884816E-0BE4-4E40-ACD1-0471745CE3EB.jpeg

Just Daniel and BobHufford like this.
  12. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Thanks. Now we need one of those with the Marathon logos.