Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pied Pipers - Dream

GeorgeTheCat

New in Town
IMO, this is as good as it gets. :eusa_clap
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZLLEc-Xh068&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZLLEc-Xh068&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Manhattan Transfer do a good "Version" of the Pied Pipers, will have to be satisfied with their "Christmas Album"

318146_1_f.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I don't see why anyone would have to be satisfied with Manhattan Transfer.

Nothing against them, but they pale in comparison to the vocal groups of the 40s. Pied Pipers, Modernares and so forth, much smoother and sweeter in my opinion.

Dream is a beautiful song, just smooth and lovely. Tommy Dorsey did a good job at backing them up for years. Also Johnny Mercer was great with them too at one point.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, the original point of the thread wasn't about Christmas music for say, but the Pied Pipers. I was comparing then to now really.

The sad truth of it is that in the 40s pop secular Christmas songs were still being written and the big name bands who these groups sang with didn't sing many. The Modernaires sang "Jingle Bells" with Miller's band, and may have sang "Rudolph" also "Santa's Comin' To Town" but, not sure on that one. More American's at that time listened to more of the traditional standards and Big Bands didn't really cover many of those either. Bing Crosby sang a few Christmas songs and White Christmas sold over a million copies in 1941.

The true birth of Christmas songs as we know it today happened in the 50s. Most of the classic's came out after WWII and I think Christmas had taken on a more commercial approach with Television.

You can find 40s original Christmas music online, takes a little digging but, it's not too hard to find it.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21