Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The quest for a perfect fitting Aero goes on

borisna

A-List Customer
Hello Gents

So the story goes like this :

At first I got a size 40 HWM from aero USA but that was noticeably too big, so I returned it and got a size 38 instead (got it a few days before Mark went bankrupt - talk about luck :) )
The fit was much better, but as it is a bulky cut jacket it felt like there is a lot of room in the torso.

here is the size 38:
img3246qt.jpg

Now, after I lost about 4kg and for the first time in my life got my six-pack of abs :eusa_clap the HWM looks even more bulky, so I decided to sell it and get a new Aero instead
The Hwm will be on it's way to Canada next week to it's new owner - wallis, who I am sure will take good care of it :)
And just to keep wallis very excited here is what is on it's way :

img3327hg.jpg

img3328ca.jpg

img3329q.jpg

So it's back to the drawing board for me, at the moment I am thinking about getting the 30's half belt in FQHH, so now need to figure out the details i want, I have been looking at Rudie's Luftwaffe style jacket and i like it a lot, very classy but we will see, I got about 10 days before the guys from Aero get back from vacation.

Having never dealt with Aero directly, can anyone tell me what payment options they have? and did anyone ever asked them to write down the value of the jacket when sending it to lower the customs fees? Mark did that for me and that saved me quite a bit of money

Last edited:

wallis

Familiar Face
I'm glad that I could aid in the process of you finding the perfect fit. Well, I'm glad that my money could aid in the process. I am very excited to get my paws on this work of art - just in time for September in Canadian cottage country. The mix of cool enough temperatures to wear a jacket + the intense sun will certainly help me break this baby in.

Thanks for your patience Boris, and I wish you the best of luck with your next Aero.

schitzo

Suspended
a wise man once told me, on here actually, that better is the enemy of good. There's something in that

pauleway

Practically Family
I think that you order the jacket, and when it is finished you send them what you owe them. I don't think there are other options - but I'm not sure. You can inquire before you put your order in!

wallis

Familiar Face
Give us an update Boris!

I'm excited to see what you are going to do differently. Why don't you post a list of what features you are thinking of having built in to the jacket? This way forum members can give advice.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Hello Gents

... Having never dealt with Aero directly, can anyone tell me what payment options they have? and did anyone ever asked them to write down the value of the jacket when sending it to lower the customs fees? Mark did that for me and that saved me quite a bit of money

Normally you can pay by bank transmission (cave! Maybe high fees!) or by credit card, maybe also by paypal.

As I know (and appreciate) Aero to be very correct I assume they won't declare a lower price just to lower your custom fees, but who knows ...

Kind regards,

Johannes

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Well, Boris, I'm not exactly shure that the crucial poit is the cut of the jacket. In the pic the jacket looks very trim fitting and I could not imagine how to make it trimmer. What I noticed about my LHB, being a "roomier" cut than you jacket to begin with, is that the leather itself contributes a lot to this bulkines. HH is quite stiff and waxy in the beginning and it takes a long time to bring it to the drape of Nappa or even goat, for example.
My feeling is you give the jacket too little time to develop. HH needs quite some time to look cool, when I showed of my new coat I even got the snidy comment "looks like plastic". Of course, I will never exchange a word with that person again.;)
Anyway, I have the feeling you'll burn quite some money when you keep the jackets only so short time and finally you might even dislike HH entirely. Did you ever thing about goat or another less stiff hide?

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I agree with Borisna that the jacket is a smidge too big.
If I look at the shoulders of my Highwayman they are a little less saggy, and the jacket is not tight.

I dont know if its a whole size too big, but I do understand that he feels its too big.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Hello Gents

At first I got a size 40 HWM from aero USA but that was noticeably too big, so I returned it and got a size 38 instead (got it a few days before Mark went bankrupt - talk about luck :) )
The fit was much better, but as it is a bulky cut jacket it felt like there is a lot of room in the torso.

here is the size 38:
img3246qt.jpg

Now, after I lost about 4kg and for the first time in my life got my six-pack of abs :eusa_clap the HWM looks even more bulky, so I decided to sell it and get a new Aero instead
The Hwm will be on it's way to Canada next week to it's new owner - wallis, who I am sure will take good care of it :)
And just to keep wallis very excited here is what is on it's way :

img3327hg.jpg

img3328ca.jpg

img3329q.jpg

So it's back to the drawing board for me, at the moment I am thinking about getting the 30's half belt in FQHH, so now need to figure out the details i want, I have been looking at Rudie's Luftwaffe style jacket and i like it a lot, very classy but we will see, I got about 10 days before the guys from Aero get back from vacation.

Having never dealt with Aero directly, can anyone tell me what payment options they have? and did anyone ever asked them to write down the value of the jacket when sending it to lower the customs fees? Mark did that for me and that saved me quite a bit of money

Boris, with your slim fit, you might want to consider an Aero Cafe Racer in size 38 rather than the Highwayman. On my frame the 44 (long) Highwayman is somewhat of a loose fit whereas the Cafe Racer in 44 is a snug fit. I would imagine that you could modify the collar and sleeves and pockets to your liking.

Edward

Bartender
Really can't see anything wrong with the jacket in the picture in the OP - in fact, I think the fit looks perfect. As noted, however, the Highwayman is simply a boxier cut than, say, the Thirties Halfbelt. I have both, both in a size 42, and can attest to the difference. Made the HWN feel a little strange when I first wore it, but I very quickly got used to it and it's a favourite now (wearing it in a way that suited it best - i.e. with other clothing that suited its 1950s casual origins rather than the same collar and tie or whatever as I would with the 30s Halfbelt made a difference too). May well just be that the model is not for you. Best option might be to see if there is someone of a similar size to yourself who has similarly discovered the much neater fit of the 30s halfbelt is not for them, and see if you can agree a trade....

Last edited:
I agree - I don't see that jacket as ill-fitting. But, I won't argue - I'm so picky now that I'll likely never find the "perfect" jacket...but the hunt is still fun lol

Edward

Bartender
I agree - I don't see that jacket as ill-fitting. But, I won't argue - I'm so picky now that I'll likely never find the "perfect" jacket...but the hunt is still fun lol

There was a time when I wanted two leather jackets: a black one, and a brown one. I now have at least nine, and around six more I "need"..... I blame this place. Lot of damn enablers! lol

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Well, after all is said and done, perhaps the Highwayman allows for variation in one's anatomy a bit better than say the slim halfbelt or cafe racer, or at least that is my perception. From what I could determine, the 38 fit on Boris looked fine to me and would allow some variation in case of weight gain or loss, and that factor should always be kept in mind over the long term when purchasing an expensive garment. .

Well, after all is said and done, perhaps the Highwayman allows for variation in one's anatomy a bit better than say the slim halfbelt or cafe racer, or at least that is my perception. From what I could determine, the 38 fit on Boris looked fine to me and would allow some variation in case of weight gain or loss, and that factor should always be kept in mind over the long term when purchasing an expensive garment. .
Without a doubt Fanch...

too much coffee

Practically Family
borisna my friend.............I concur with Edward, Fanch and ButteMT61; that 38 Highwayman looks dynamite on you.
You need to convince wallis to send it back or fly to Canada and take it back! Like Fanch said, an expensive leather jacket is a long term investment. You're not always going to be as young as you are.

Good Luck,
coffee

borisna

A-List Customer
Thanks for the comments gents, perhaps I should have taken a few pics before I sent off the jacket to wallis because the in the old ones the jacket does look like a great fit (although even back then it was quite a bit roomy) , but since then I gone down one size in pants and just by looking in the mirror my torso looked out of proportion to the rest of my body because the jacket was too bulky

Thanks for the comments gents, perhaps I should have taken a few pics before I sent off the jacket to wallis because the in the old ones the jacket does look like a great fit (although even back then it was quite a bit roomy) , but since then I gone down one size in pants and just by looking in the mirror my torso looked out of proportion to the rest of my body because the jacket was too bulky

Well..I believe you. I've got a mirror too. If that reflection looks baggy...it ain't gonna suddenly change just because someone insists it surely isn't. Go for what makes you happy. When you get there you'll know it and won't even look back. :cool:
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk