Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real Mc Coys Japan

jon11

A-List Customer
Can anyone tell me can you buy via mail order from the Real Mc Coys in Japan, or if you live in the UK must you buy via their London shop? If so how do you go about it as the page does not translate re their inquiry form?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I do like the Japanese stuff - my Buzz Rickson chinos are top quality - I just think that the import add-ons make it hard to swallow.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
yeah they are a bit expensive. I got my RMC A-2 second hand today. Amazing jacket. I know there are some stores on Rakuten that will ship overseas and have RMC stuff. I think you could also go through a proxy buyer if you really wanted to.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Odd, that must be a very recent development as that search was done late last night.

You are right about Rakuten still have RM products but:

First of all, if you take away all the Toys McCoy products that showed on your search, there is only one shop that still lists RM products. Then if you go into that shop, you will see that there are only a very few RM items listed and are probably the last unsold items from before way before.

My understanding is that RM asked all its Japanese local dealers to stop selling online through Rakuten last year right about the time all these overseas RM shops started showing up. I suspect that it is one of the terms between RM and its overseas dealers i.e. to prohibit sales of RM products from Japan directly.

Hereinbelow is a notice I received from Vintage Paradise a Japanese local dealer when they opened a RM only shop in Nagoya (a local RM only shop owned by Vintage Paradise and not a direct RM shop) around last August and they were putting up a bilingual online shop website. In or around November last year, RM Nagoya stopped altogether all RM sales from Japan directly, removed all English from its online shop website. Vintage Paradise still very welcomes foreign buyers, just not for RM products.

IMG_20150918_010027049.jpg

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
You are right about Rakuten still have RM products but:

First of all, if you take away all the Toys McCoy products that showed on your search, there is only one shop that still lists RM products. Then if you go into that shop, you will see that there are only a very few RM items listed and are probably the last unsold items from before way before.

My understanding is that RM asked all its Japanese local dealers to stop selling online through Rakuten last year right about the time all these overseas RM shops started showing up. I suspect that it is one of the terms between RM and its overseas dealers i.e. to prohibit sales of RM products from Japan directly.

Hereinbelow is a notice I received from Vintage Paradise a Japanese local dealer when they opened a RM only shop in Nagoya (a local RM only shop owned by Vintage Paradise and not a direct RM shop) around last August and they were putting up a bilingual online shop website. In or around November last year, RM Nagoya stopped altogether all RM sales from Japan directly, removed all English from its online shop website. Vintage Paradise still very welcomes foreign buyers, just not for RM products.

View attachment 35587

Well spotted Blackadder! I guess that they don't want English speakers to be able to buy them any other way than through their new US website (with a nice little mark-up)?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
yeah they are a bit expensive. I got my RMC A-2 second hand today. Amazing jacket. I know there are some stores on Rakuten that will ship overseas and have RMC stuff. I think you could also go through a proxy buyer if you really wanted to.

Any pics?

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Well spotted Blackadder! I guess that they don't want English speakers to be able to buy them any other way than through their new US website (with a nice little mark-up)?

That is so obvious! It is also quite interesting to see RMJ starting to expand their global business. I hope their product quality won't suffer from that.

Blackadder

I guess the local dealers (Blue & Green in NYC and Superdenim in London etc) won't be carrying RM products let alone open RM only shops if RM does not do that. I doubt RM Japan contributed any capital towards the opening of the RM NYC and London shops. Even Real McCoy's Nagoya does not belong to RM Japan. RM Japan only controls directly six RM only shops all over the world and they are all in Japan. As said in another thread, RM Japan is owned by Nylon so they are also Nylon's Chain of stores.

For example,
http://nylon.m030090040.mediawars.net/blog/

Nylon Kobe aka Real McCoy's Kobe

Last edited:

Blackadder

Toys McCoy's owner came to an anniversary party of the local dealer. I was invited but wasn't able to go but some of my friends did go.:( Also attending the party were MD of Samurai Jeans, MD of Cushman, MD of First Arrows, representatives of Studio D'Artisan, Orgueil and Daytona Bros magazine.

Owner of Toys McCoy painting the new season's A-2 jacket in his workshop.
11053183_907696535943085_5469084261862163360_o.jpg

Last edited:

chamboid

One of the Regulars
£1500 for a A-2 is too expensive, and quality is good, but only on par with Eastmans original maker offerings.

Goodwear uses the same shinki horse hide on a bad to measure jacket (that is of the highest quality singular bespoke pieces) and still cheaper. Though you so have to wait.

Kelso (though not everyone favourite round here) has amazing horse hide in the victory and the Liberty is the closest you'll get to a 30's 40's leather.

I don't understand the Mccoys pricing, especially with the yen being weak at the moment, it's all nice stuff, but you can find so much more for your money if you shop around.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
£1500 for a A-2 is too expensive, and quality is good, but only on par with Eastmans original maker offerings.

Goodwear uses the same shinki horse hide on a bad to measure jacket (that is of the highest quality singular bespoke pieces) and still cheaper. Though you so have to wait.

Kelso (though not everyone favourite round here) has amazing horse hide in the victory and the Liberty is the closest you'll get to a 30's 40's leather.

I don't understand the Mccoys pricing, especially with the yen being weak at the moment, it's all nice stuff, but you can find so much more for your money if you shop around.

RMC is expensive, and is (IMHO) a little over-priced, but (and it's a big but), Japanese customers don't mind the price, and the weak ¥ isn't helping them because the Shinki tannery has to import the hide from outside Japan, and the weak ¥ drives up that cost.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
The Japanese aren't about competitive pricing on their goods. They charge more for everything they produce, comparatively with the rest of the world. Even in bad times, if anything their prices go up

Last edited:

jon11

A-List Customer
You get what you pay for that my philosophy in life. RMC is top notch stuff, and is a cut above the rest, and i am talking collectively not singular in respect of Leather jackets. However their leathers are stunning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto