Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real McCoy’s / Joe McCoy Nelson 30’s Sport Jacket

ChienChilla

One of the Regulars
I’ve owned a Mulholland and currently own a Nelson so can contribute to this - although I’m perhaps a bit biased considering my experience with the Freewheelers.

The Mulholland and Nelson and equally well made in terms of finishing, stitching etc , however the Mulholland I had was hands down he least comfortable jacket I’ve ever worn (it felt like I was wearing an ill fitting and heavy horse saddle), and the vintage style zipper only successfully fastened on a couple of occasions, and then proceeded to totally disintegrate, leaving it unable to fasten at all. So they are my, not entirely positive thoughts on the Mulholland.

By way of contrast, the Nelson is comfortable and seems to fit a normal(ish) western body, the zipper works every time, and I don’t dread putting it on. I’m sure people with more knowledge than me can weigh in on the stitching etc etc, but to me they seemed equally well put together.
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I’ve been comparing the Mulholland and the Nelson for a few weeks now because they’re a similar style, and ultimately pulled the trigger on the Nelson. It arrived yesterday.

I do agree with you that the Nelson is very comfortable, and it fits me very well. I thought the Mulholland would’ve been really comfortable with the cotton flannel lining - but perhaps the discomfort came from the rigidity of the leather instead? I just have a bad habit of wondering what could’ve been, but I also didn’t want to deal with getting both of them and then returning the one I liked less. Actually there isn’t a Mulholland in my size anywhere, so that would’ve made getting one difficult. Maybe that’s a blessing in disguise.

Good to hear about your experience, because it makes me feel better about my decision lol

Brandrea33

One Too Many
@Brandrea33 since you’ve been able to handle both the Mulholland and the Nelson, would you be able to compare the build quality between the two?

Admittedly, I’m not a leather jacket nerd to the point where I pay super close at attention to stitch count etc.

What I value in a leather jacket is: amazing leather, nice construction, overall look of the jacket, and equally important is the fit.

Using the above criteria they were a tie for me. They both were well made. I didn’t have any issues with the zipper on the Mulholland but some here do. I prefer the look of the Mulholland to the Nelson, but that’s subjective.

The fit of both didn’t work for my body type. Unfortunately the Mulholland arms were about 1.5” too short. I also didn’t like that the cuffs had internal metal snaps that would potentially scratch my watches.

Nelson fit well through the shoulders, body and arm length were shot on. Problem was the body was billowy and made me look 8 months pregnant.

I’m 6’2” 180 Lbs and must have Apeish long arms lol

hope this helps.

ChienChilla

One of the Regulars
Admittedly, I’m not a leather jacket nerd to the point where I pay super close at attention to stitch count etc.

What I value in a leather jacket is: amazing leather, nice construction, overall look of the jacket, and equally important is the fit.

Using the above criteria they were a tie for me. They both were well made. I didn’t have any issues with the zipper on the Mulholland but some here do. I prefer the look of the Mulholland to the Nelson, but that’s subjective.

The fit of both didn’t work for my body type. Unfortunately the Mulholland arms were about 1.5” too short. I also didn’t like that the cuffs had internal metal snaps that would potentially scratch my watches.

Nelson fit well through the shoulders, body and arm length were shot on. Problem was the body was billowy and made me look 8 months pregnant.

I’m 6’2” 180 Lbs and must have Apeish long arms lol

hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I did hear that Japanese sizes don’t work for everyone. Sorry to hear they didn’t work for you.

I was turned off by the number of zippers the Mulholland has at first, then it grew it on me. But it’s really good to know that it has internal metal snaps in the cuffs though - I always wear a watch so that’s kind of a deal breaker. I think I went with the right choice with the Nelson.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I did hear that Japanese sizes don’t work for everyone. Sorry to hear they didn’t work for you.

I was turned off by the number of zippers the Mulholland has at first, then it grew it on me. But it’s really good to know that it has internal metal snaps in the cuffs though - I always wear a watch so that’s kind of a deal breaker. I think I went with the right choice with the Nelson.
Honestly, I think the Nelson is a tad more versatile. Good choice IMO!

nem500

New in Town
Thank you @Cognoscente for starting this thread and @dwilson, @Bukowski, @Rauri B for sharing your pictures. Thank you all for the discussion, it's been very helpful.

I've spent quite a bit of time in this amazing forum looking for a jacket in this style. When I travelled to London a few weeks ago I went to the RMCs store and tried it out. I think the fit is good but I'm worried it might be a tad too short.

This is size 40 (I tend to buy sizes 38 or 40, depending on the garment) and I'm 74 kg (163 lb) and 1.8m (5" 11').

What do you all think? I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks!

Attachments

• back.jpeg
    back.jpeg
    555.5 KB · Views: 294
  • side.jpeg
    side.jpeg
    726.8 KB · Views: 267
  • front.jpeg
    front.jpeg
    746.1 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Thank you @Cognoscente for starting this thread and @dwilson, @Bukowski, @Rauri B for sharing your pictures. Thank you all for the discussion, it's been very helpful.

I've spent quite a bit of time in this amazing forum looking for a jacket in this style. When I travelled to London a few weeks ago I went to the RMCs store and tried it out. I think the fit is good but I'm worried it might be a tad too short.
What do you all think? I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks!
Length is perfect, spot on. Looks great on you!

dwilson

A-List Customer
The jacket is short by design so I think it looks perfect for the aesthetic RMC is going for with this one. You can see my concerns as well about the length when it first arrived but it is no longer anything I'm concerned with now. Its still my favorite jacket to just wear going out. Super functional and goes with virtually everything.

nem500

New in Town
I actually found a picture of me trying the J-100 last year (when the Nelson was unavailable), which is 2.5cm longer. So it’s a useful comparison.

Attachments

• 9FE13781-72F8-4272-A5D1-80DF9242D939.jpeg
    9FE13781-72F8-4272-A5D1-80DF9242D939.jpeg
    591.2 KB · Views: 247

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk