The Real McCoy’s / Joe McCoy Nelson 30’s Sport Jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Cognoscente, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Cognoscente

Cognoscente Familiar Face

The front has an inch drop from the back. It is 22” from top of zipper to bottom hem. I didn’t want the arms to hang down to my knuckles. I do not layer as I already have a larger jacket for that purpose. As far as my height and weight, you can see in the pictures that I couldn’t go any smaller with this design. Hope this helps.

Jin431 and Seank like this.
  2. Seank

Seank One of the Regulars

Thanks

3. Cognoscente

One month update: Regular wear about 15 times. I’ve noticed the shoulders have loosened up quite a bit and the elbows are breaking in nicely. The jacket feels like a custom piece of armor and still retains my shape when I hang it up. I’m really digging this Shinki horsehide and fit as it breaks in. (Boots are Standard & Strange Wesco Warren in black waxed flesh)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Adence, Jin431, sweetfights and 12 others like this.
  4. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Looking good!
    Now to work on the collar.

Cognoscente likes this.
  5. Brandrea33

Brandrea33 A-List Customer

It looks perfect on you! Happy to see you enjoy it:)

Cognoscente likes this.
  6. dwilson

dwilson One of the Regulars

Hey @Cognoscente I'm having trouble finding information on what the sleeves are lined with in this jacket. Any insights?

7. MattB334

MattB334 New in Town

I have this jacket and it's got heavy black cotton drill lining throughout. Great jacket if you can find one in your size.

Cognoscente and dwilson like this.
  8. dwilson

TY! One more question. How warm is the cotton liner? The flannel liner on one of my flat heads is pretty thick and warm while my other is fairly thin and cool.

Cognoscente likes this.
  9. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck My Mail is Forwarded Here

That fit really is perfect. Still looks incredible.

Cognoscente likes this.
  10. dwilson

Not the ideal time to buy a jacket with the heat coming in to SoCal lately but my Nelson arrived yesterday. Not much to add about the jacket that hasn't been said but I wanted to add my fit pics for anyone looking into this one.

Size 38. 5'9" 145lb 39in chest. I really like the fit. Could maybe be a touch longer in the body and a touch narrower in the waist.

IMG_0214.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Imuricecreamman, Jin431, JCSD and 9 others like this.
  11. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

It really looks great on you!
    I’m and inch and a half taller, so I think it’d be too short on me.
    What a classic but contemporary looking design.

Benny Holiday and sweetfights like this.
  12. dwilson

Aye it may depend on if you get your height from your torso or legs but I'd be nervous about the length of the jacket being on the shorter side if I was any taller. I was a bit on the fence myself but luckily my Flat Head CR is the exact same body length down to the cm.

I also agree with the design. I assumed when I first started out finding a jacket that looked like this would be rather simple but it turns out finding a 30's style that doesn't have a ton of design work on the back was more difficult than I imagined.

13. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda Practically Family

The fit is GOOD! Very nice jacket. I like the cleaner look, it forces the maker to use higher quality material (top grade no flaw hides) which is good for us consumers.

Jin431, sweetfights and Cognoscente like this.
  14. sweetfights

sweetfights Call Me a Cab

What a great fit and great looking jacket! WINNING!!

Cognoscente and Canuck Panda like this.
  15. sweetfights

sweetfights Call Me a Cab

What a great fit and great looking jacket! WINNING!!
    Actually, the length is fantastic looking and with this style you would not achieve a better look with narrowing in the waist. This fits you extremely well. Enjoy!!

16. Cognoscente

Looks great @dwilson. I like it for the simplicity of style and fine craftsmanship. I’ve noticed that I get more compliments on mine than I get from my other jackets. Probably because of it’s classic approachable design. Looking forward to cooler weather here in Colorado (luckily I still wear get to wear it often when I go to the mountains).
    Also, I apologize for not answering your questions earlier as I was starting a new businesses at the time.

sweetfights and Benny Holiday like this.
  17. Tom71

Tom71 One Too Many

Another perfect fit and yet another spectacular jacket! Love it!

sweetfights and Cognoscente like this.
  18. jglf

jglf One of the Regulars

This is one of my favorite jackets. The pattern of this jacket looks like it is designed perfectly for athletic builds.

Cognoscente likes this.
  19. MattB334

MattB334 New in Town

Any longer would be too long-- it's a 1930's reproduction, and jackets from that era would land below the waist but not further. Trousers in that period would sit at the waist, well above where the jacket falls on your frame. Many repro and custom jackets today are far too long in the body but this jacket gets it right, which is why I also own this jacket. Also agree with previous poster, a narrower waist wouldn't serve you any better. You done alright.

sweetfights and Cognoscente like this.
  20. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Looks great! Congrats!