Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real McCoy Buco J-100 questions

Jaime

One of the Regulars
DSCF5619.jpg
DSCF5516.jpg
DSCF5653.jpg

Hi! If it's of any help this is my RMC J100, Im 173cm, slim build and wear a size 38. I think the fit is spot on if I wear only a shirt or a very thin layer underneath, the moment I add a hoodie or something heavier it gets a bit restrictive, but as some people here have mentioned it is kind of a trade-off. You would probably fall into a range of sizes so it is a matter of making sure what season (or seasons) you want your jacket for, and also how you like the fit aesthetically. I could use a 40 for sure, but then it would get a bit too long for my taste and probably would look a bit too oversized on me, and because I like this style of jacket to look slim I went for the smaller option, but again it all comes to your preferences. One thing I can say for sure: it is an amazing jacket! You won't regret it

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 509605 View attachment 509606 View attachment 509607

Hi! If it's of any help this is my RMC J100, Im 173cm, slim build and wear a size 38. I think the fit is spot on if I wear only a shirt or a very thin layer underneath, the moment I add a hoodie or something heavier it gets a bit restrictive, but as some people here have mentioned it is kind of a trade-off. You would probably fall into a range of sizes so it is a matter of making sure what season (or seasons) you want your jacket for, and also how you like the fit aesthetically. I could use a 40 for sure, but then it would get a bit too long for my taste and probably would look a bit too oversized on me, and because I like this style of jacket to look slim I went for the smaller option, but again it all comes to your preferences. One thing I can say for sure: it is an amazing jacket! You won't regret it
Looks great on you and thanks for the info.
One of the most classic jacket out there. I've been looking at countless photos of this jacket from RMC, and finally found a good deal on an used one.
Very interesting detail on this jacket is they way they lock the stitch on the thread, always at the corner, very different than what other jackets did. Very cool. (bottom left corner, 7' o clock location)
buco J-100 detail.jpg

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Been trying to wear mine more than the rest of my jackets because it's a bit of a beast to break in. shoulders are starting to settle, getting some good grain pop and just starting to soften some. But boy those arms are tight and borderline uncomfortable especially around your elbow and the flex point. Think this is a jacket that needs to get beat up quite a bit before it completely settles in unlike the leather used on Jh1 which was pretty easy and almost ready to go out of the gate. For me 6'0 185lbs, size 42 of the newer model was spot on.

Damon141

Practically Family
Been trying to wear mine more than the rest of my jackets because it's a bit of a beast to break in. shoulders are starting to settle, getting some good grain pop and just starting to soften some. But boy those arms are tight and borderline uncomfortable especially around your elbow and the flex point. Think this is a jacket that needs to get beat up quite a bit before it completely settles in unlike the leather used on Jh1 which was pretty easy and almost ready to go out of the gate. For me 6'0 185lbs, size 42 of the newer model was spot on.
Is it difficult to break in because of the pattern or the particular batch of horsehide on your J100?

That JH1 you have is great too

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This is what I had suspected too, that the J-100 horsehide would need some break in. The photo I got looks like the leather is on the stiffer side.
Image1.jpg

vs the leather used on their x-zips looks like they've been tumbled / milled to be softer from the start. But in my experience most of the Japanese jacket enthusiasts like to apply mustang paste to their jackets religiously. My horsehide Vanson that came from Japan was loaded with mustang paste. So they already did the heavy lifting for me. I'd most likely just have to give it a quick brush and it's ready to go... Fingers crossed...

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Is it difficult to break in because of the pattern or the particular batch of horsehide on your J100?

That JH1 you have is great too
thanks, man. That JH1 was a total unplanned sleeper and now it's probably in my top 2 or 3.

Definite difference in the leather used. Obviously both shinki and teacore, but the JH1 is an oily finish. Lots more grain. The J100 is more top coat heavy. I showed the jackets to Theo (owner of Thedi) and he right away said the J100 will repel water better which was his way of saying more top coat. I'm not a leather expert, but I think if I picked up the lingo correctly, the Jh1 might be more aniline while the J100 is more pigment. Maybe I messed that up, but in layman speak, J100 is more plastic feel at first (at least 50 wears in) and just starting to soften in higher stress areas. The JH1 is more supple, luxurious feel out of the gate. And JH1 definitely more shiny/oily, while J100 is more flat.

The J24L feels very similar to the J100, but I kind of think it might be a slight variation as well, somewhere in between the two others, but leaning more towards the J100.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21