Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The right hat in the strangest place

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale...

I got an incredible, and incredibly unexpected deal today in the most unusual of places. There's a venerable toy store in Hollywood called the Hollywood Toy Store (boy, are the owners clever or what!) that has a large costume trade, including a large costume hat trade. The hats generally range from low-end-passable, like Golden Gates, to okay-for-Halloween,-but-only-Halloween, to I'd-rather-have-a-price-on-my-head-than-this-piece-of-trash. So I'm in there today, killing time until the bookshop next door finally decides to open, and scanning the hat rack, taking in examples of all of the three above-mentioned categories. And then, at the very end of the shelf, is something different: It's a subtly golden straw fedora with an azure, pleated pugaree band. As I'm gazing at it, the dulcet tones of Bob McGrath from "Sesame Street" echoes through my head: "One of these things is not like the others..." I ask the nice silver-studded clerk to see it and she hands it to me, and on first weigh I can tell it's old. The Milan straw is tightly braided and tightly sewn, firm yet supple. The crown is straight as a redwood blocked in a teardrop, with an optimo ridge in the center, and the band is made of expensive fabric. I peek under band and find no darker color -- no evidence of sun exposure. Clearly it has never been worn. Then I turn it over and find that it is a Cavanagh from a men's shop in Fort Worth, Texas. The block is absolutely perfect. There are no cracks, no holes, no nothing. What's more, it fits my zeppelin-shaped head perfectly. The ONLY things wrong are a couple of tiny pin-points of white on the blue band, which may be paint specs, or perhaps White-Out. The store is asking $19.95 for it -- only marginally more than the asking price for those crappy J-Hats.

Needless to say, I wore it out.

My first question is: Why is the Hollywood Toy Store, the place where one goes to get J-Hats made from hair vaccumed up at the Leader Dogs training center, selling a beautiful vintage Cavanagh? My second question is: Why should I care? My third question is (and this is where some of you come in): Do any of the scholars out there know when Cavanaghs ceased to be, so I can try to pinpoint a date for it?

Since we're here, what are your most unusual and unexpected finds?

Damon Falzone

One of the Regulars
Michael, I, too, found a similar Cavanagh Milan, just as you're describing, on Ebay several months ago. Under the sweatband a tag revealed that it was made in Italy and I'm guessing, in the 50's (the seller seemed to think so, too).
So, I imagine that it's the real thing, not plastic or whatever is used in some present Milan weaves (Optimo excluded). And like yours, this hat has a beautiful block, supple straw nicely woven, great color, straight, high crown, 2 1/2" brim. I was the only bidder at $9.95! It is one of my favorite hats. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours, too. All the best.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some things were just meant to be

Michael, maybe you were meant to go into that store at that precise moment and rescue that hat. Fate? Providence? Divine will? Sheer good luck? Who knows? Maybe a bit of all of them. But I'm glad that lid went to you, who appreciates it.

Can't help you much with Cavanaughs, but I can tell you my best unexpected find was my light brown Akubra Stylemaster. About seven years ago, I was wandering through a department store called David Jones, and happened to see the aforementioned prize sitting on a display rack. Now, DJ's is not the usual place I'd expect to find a fur felt fedora, but there it was, and its price? $56, half price!

Like you, I walked out of the store wearing my new acquisition, feeling more than a little satisfied with the morning's find, I might add!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Good Karma?

Or simply call it fate? Good things just seem to happen when we allow them to. When we are positive and in tune with the cosmos. (Readers may interpret that statement any way they like, that is, however it fits in to their own personal cosmic viewpoint.) :)
Congratulations on your fateful find.:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk