Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Royal Hat Works

delectans

Call Me a Cab
An intriguing hat from a maker I have not heretofore seen. Light, supple and malleable felt very similar to my vintage Borsalinos.

Subtle, Powder Blue color with Mauve ribbon and matching edge binding. Well worn, but lovingly cared for and in excellent condition. Unreeded sweatband with taped rear seam. Late '30s vintage?

Crown: 5-1/2" open. 4-3/4" to peak, as creased.
Ribbon: 1-3/4".
Brim: 2-7/8", with 5/8" binding topside, wrapping around 1/8" and sewn.
Sweatband: 1-3/4".

Very nice lid, and great pictures, too.

I'm guessing that Royal Hat Works was the name of a hatter's shop (there used to a gazillion of 'em), or perhaps a small manufacturing concern, of which there were quite a few.

The style says more '40s than '30s to me, but as has been observed here many times before, what we might think of as an archetypal '30s style, say, or a '40s or '50s or whatever style, you can find examples made a decade or two prior to and/or after any of those times.

How'd it come your way?

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thank you kindly, tonyb and SgtRick! I agree that the style of the hat is quintessential '40s, but the interior of the hat, with its sweatband and construction details, does show some earlier features, I believe.

The premise that Royal Hat Works is a haberdasher or a small manufacturer is quite plausible as the hat does not have any tags, stickers, or union labels behind the sweatband, and does not have a separate hatter's stamp on the sweat.

I came by the hat via a secret last minute bid my wife submitted during the intermission of last Saturday night's Minnesota Orchestra concert!

Last edited:

ejbhats

A-List Customer
That is indeed a beautiful hat Al. It looks alot like my early 40's Vita-Felt. I'm green with envy!

Very nice! I can see EJB's call out to the early forties Stetson with what looks to be a thin and supple sweatband. No reeding? Great color.

billyspew

One Too Many
Very nice, some mentions in Google Books, it was 425 SW Stark Street in Portland. The building doesn't seem to exist anymore.
Previously in 1924 it was 296 Stark, 1932 it was at 295 Stark, although another mention in 1934 mentions 435 Stark?

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the very kind words, gentlemen, I appreciate them!

Eric: From what I have seen it does resemble the Vita-Felt Stetsons from that early '40s era, of which I am still on the hunt for.

Ed: Necessity being the Mother of invention... lol

Alan: Indeed, unreeded sweat with taped rear seam. Quite thin and still supple, too.

billyspew: Fantastic sleuthing once again! The hat came from a Portland, Oregon estate. From what I can decipher, the address is 425 S.W. Stark Street. It appears then, that the Royal Hat Works moved next door and down the same street several times over a decade long period. Circumstantial evidence, perhaps, for a small hat maker struggling to survive against overwhelming competition from the behemoths of the hat making industry.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thank you kindly for your nice comments, Josh and Art! My sincere apologies for the late acknowledgment! :eusa_doh: :eek:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Jeff! I like the chiaroscuro technique in old Master drawings and paintings to give more depth to a two dimensional medium, and enjoy applying it to photography as well. The wave of the brim was hightened by the strong contrast and shadows falling in just the right spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto