Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The S?ºdwester- Slouch Hats of the German Colonies-

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
German Colonial troops in the late 19th and early 20th Century wore a kind of Slouch hat in Africa.
These Hats are beautiful and deserve a mention here-
I have been given approval by the owner, to use these photos .
(Bartenders- please feel free to move this thread to a more appropriate area if necessary.)

I bring you the "Südwester".

Enjoy!

sudwestermain.jpg

DSWA20OFF202.jpg

DSWA20private201.jpg

DSWA20OFF203.jpg

Ost20Afr201.jpg

ost20Afr205.jpg

DSWA20Police1.jpg

DSWA20Police203.jpg

More, detailed information and images can be seen at Chris Dale's excellent web site:

http://www.germancolonialuniforms.co.uk/

B
T

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WOW! What a great hat. The Germans definitely had style. Thanks for posting those BellyTank.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
German Slouch Hat

That General had how many Iron Crosses?

BT didn't the Cape Dutch volunteers in the Boer War wear a type of Aussie slouch hat?

Duck

Practically Family
Great looking hats, BT. They remind me of Grogan's hat with the upturn on the other side.
EwartGrogan.jpg

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
If I translate correctly, "Sûdwester" means "south-west." In Norwegian, that is "Sydvest" which also is a name for this very traditional hat.
Sydvest.jpg

(It is made of rubber, to protect against the nasty weather.)

The name connection, is it there or is it just me being stupid?;)

deanglen

Helen Troy said:
If I translate correctly, "S?ªdwester" means "south-west." In Norwegian, that is "Sydvest" which also is a name for this very traditional hat. The name connection, is it there or is it just me being stupid?;)

No, I agree, it's pretty likely.

dean

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
OUTSTANDING!!!

Thanks BT, this is great!!. I've never studied these nor had the chance to so this is a treat for me! First dumb question...is the pin/rosette a German Army symbol? If so, what does it stand for? Looks to be about a 5" brim width, correct? Crown height? Looks to be a pretty thick felt, any idea of the weight? Are they lined? so many questions..

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Art Fawcett said:
Thanks BT, this is great!!. I've never studied these nor had the chance to so this is a treat for me! First dumb question...is the pin/rosette a German Army symbol? If so, what does it stand for? Looks to be about a 5" brim width, correct? Crown height? Looks to be a pretty thick felt, any idea of the weight? Are they lined? so many questions..

Hi Art(High Art)-

The "rosette" is a cockade/kokarde- Imperial Germany national colours- armed services- yes. Some of the field caps had a German cockade on the front of the crown and a "state/region" cockade on the band- Barvaria, for instance.
Not sure about brim and crown but wider than a lot of Western hats and maybe a smidge lower in the crown..? Some brims are wider than others, as you can see.

Unlined I believe and probably a fairly heavy hat but not ultra thick Western.
Probably Rabbit/Hare, I would guess.

They are lovely hats, huh?

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
No connection- not stupid either-

Helen Troy said:
If I translate correctly, "S?ªdwester" means "south-west." In Norwegian, that is "Sydvest" which also is a name for this very traditional hat.
Sydvest.jpg

(It is made of rubber, to protect against the nasty weather.)

The name connection, is it there or is it just me being stupid?;)

"S?ºdwester"
German SouthWest Africa.
"S?ºdwest Afrika".

"Sou'Wester", the name of the foul weather hat, refers to foul weather from the South-West. Different definitions.

B
T

deanglen

BellyTank said:
"S?ºdwester"
German SouthWest Africa.
"S?ºdwest Afrika".

"Sou'Wester", the name of the foul weather hat, refers to foul weather from the South-West. Different definitions.

B
T

Granted that there is no connection to Africa, but the designation of southwest, in terms direction, holds, eh?:)

dean

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Not really-

1)A place.
2)Weather from a direction.

It IS easy to see that one is South West in English and the other is South West in German but I thought we were talking about an actual connection.
That would surely be just too obvious to mention...

:rolleyes:

B
T

deanglen

BellyTank said:
Not really-

1)A place.
2)Weather from a direction.

It IS easy to see that one is South West in English and the other is South West in German but I thought we were talking about an actual connection.
That would surely be just too obvious to mention...

:rolleyes:

B
T

I was thinking of the similarity of the Norwegian to the German, and of course the actual referents are completely different.:)

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider