Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Search for the One [Many] True Hat[s]

Cashmere

New in Town
While I totally get the fascination and appeal of collecting, I'm a one-hat kinda guy. I like having one hat I wear to hell and back, something that starts to feel like a part of myself.

I have this inexpensive Eddie Bauer lite-felt thin-band crushable fedora I've been wearing for close to 20 years. I don't think they've made it for quite a while... it's actually a quite good looking hat, and it's served me well. But it's getting pretty faded (it's gone from deep brown to a light khaki/olive), with a few moth bites, and I think I'm ready to replace it with something that has a bit more gravitas.

I don't want something I have to baby. It needs to look nice (suitable for wearing to work, restaraunts, etc.), but most of the time I wear my hat hiking, fishing, working outside, and such.

So, I'm looking for suggestions.

I like the Akubra Federation Deluxe IV... I'm sure it would be plenty rugged. Kinda wish it weren't soooo Indy.

I really like the shape and look of the Stetson Benchley and Chatham.

I'd like a bound brim.

Beaver would be nice, of course.

Stetson, Akubra... those are some pretty obvious brands. What are some others I should be scouting out? What about custom? The Benchley is pretty much at the absolute top end of my price range, which I'm sure rules out a lot of custom makers.

And, I seem to be right square between a 7 3/4 and 7 1/2... so, if a recommended brand tends to run small or large, that would be helpful to know.

Any input welcome. :)

- Brad

Mulceber

Practically Family
If you're looking for something durable and you are on a budget, I would recommend going straight for Akubra. They have plenty of non-federation hats and their fedoras are known for durability. Also, if around $300 is your max, there actually are some custom hatters for you. Penman's rabbit hats start at $275, and there are numerous other custom hatters as well who charge a similar price. -M

Last edited:
7-3/4 (7-5/8ths) 7-1/2 the 7-5/8ths is right in between. Some places make that size.

Try an Akubra Squatter just note that some said they run big and others say they will shrink a bit. A little too big is easier to deal with with some felt strips behind the sweat band. A little too small is annoying even using a hat stretcher.
Good luck

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge, Cashmere!

The Akubra Fed IV doesn't have to look like an Indiana Jones hat. My light gray and charcoal gray ones I hand-shaped in a teardrop, something like the Stetson Chatham, rather than the center dent of IJ's hat. Plus I went with the grays precisely because I didn't want to do dark brown. (Yet.)

There's also the wider-brimmed Squatter and Bushman from Akubra, which many folks here rave about. Both have bound brims.

Cashmere

New in Town
Thanks for the quick replies.

Well, first question is, is price an issue? I mean I'm not asking if you'd like to buy a $1000 hat, but if you had to pay somewhere in the $200-$400 range for something that would be very durable, would that be acceptable?

Price is an issue, but those prices aren't out of the question. As I said, the Stetson Benchley is pushing at the top end of my comfort zone, but it's a possibility. It retails for what, $325 or so?

Mulceber

Practically Family
Yeah, sorry, I didn't notice the comment about the price range when I first replied. Anyway, I wouldn't rule out custom just yet - most custom hatters do charge outside of the price range you stated, but there are several good ones who will produce a hat for that amount. DJH named several very good hatters who are in your price range. Penman hats is also a possibility, although for ~$300, you won't be able to get beaver from him. -M

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi and Welcome

Since you're in Georgia, you might take a LONG drive to West Tennessee and go see Mike Moore in Covington TN. Buckaroo Hatters. Getting the correct size of crown and brim for your face is kind of important. PERSONALLY, I don't know what shape my face is, but it's not real thin I guess. Anyway, having someone who will tell you "that hat makes you look like a Monkey playing the cymbals", or "you look like you're wearing a mushroom." will help you pick a personal hat that's not too small, not too big, just right.

The other hatters listed are also great, but you're within 300 miles of Buckaroo hatters, you're not in the same half of the country with the others. I have a hat from Tumwater on order as we type back and forth... Sorry, you're at least in the same state as Garrison Hatters, my bad.

Later

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
7-3/4 (7-5/8ths) 7-1/2 the 7-5/8ths is right in between. Some places make that size.

Try an Akubra Squatter just note that some said they run big and others say they will shrink a bit. A little too big is easier to deal with with some felt strips behind the sweat band. A little too small is annoying even using a hat stretcher.
Good luck

I'd have to agree with the Sqautter, but I have 4 of 'em so I'm a bit prejudiced :) As you noted though, just about ANY akubra would fit your needs for style/durability. There are I'm sure 100s of Aussies who have been wearing just ONE Akubra thier whole life :)

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Akubra Campdraft. It'll have the thin ribbon you are used to & the bound brim you want. Best deal out there. No question- -->Deserted Island---> one hat? Akubra Campdraft- hands down.

Cashmere

New in Town
>And, I seem to be right square between a 7 3/4 and 7 1/2...

Woops, meant 7 3/8 and 7 1/2.

Great info guys... I might just have to take a trip to Buckaroo or Garrison.

At the other end, the Squatter is looking pretty good. It's a wider brim than I was thinking, but it might be just fine. It's not a proportional brim, right? I think a fixed-width brim would probably look better on me.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

At the other end, the Squatter is looking pretty good. It's a wider brim than I was thinking, but it might be just fine. It's not a proportional brim, right? I think a fixed-width brim would probably look better on me.

You may need a 7 3/8's long oval? But if you do get into a hat shop, they can find that out for you. Welcome by the way to the Lounge!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

As for the Squatter, a bit of info for you. There have been TWO models of the Squatter, one as imported in the US by David Morgan, up in the Seattle area, and the version made for the Australian market and sold thru the OZ on-line retailers. Sadly, DM now only offers two colors of it, though they are nice to get more of a color choice you will need to order from one of the OZ retailers. The OZ model has a shorter crown with more taper and a dimensional brim and many are not lined as the DM versions are.
If you like a narrow/thin ribbon hat, take a look at the Bushman on DM's site, a nice wide 3 1/4" snap brim, bound in a go with about ANYTHING color. It is an older model than the Campdraft made by Akubra, exclusivly for DM now. I have 2, my first one I bought over 32 years ago and my newer 4 YO one thats in my avitar. :)

Gromulus

Practically Family
Interesting and tough question! I also tend to favor the durable Akubras. As a matter of fact, I am up to 13 of them in various styles and colors. I often ask myself which one I would pick if I could only have one felt hat.

The crown to brim ratio of the Squatter just doesn't resonate for me.

I like my Stylemasters, but tend to wear them with suits and sportcoats/ties. (My favorite Sunday and "night out with the Mrs." hat!). Not a hat I tend to wear with casual attire and definitely not out hiking or working outside. Perhaps the slight taper takes away some of the versatility for me.

My Bushman and Cattleman are my favorite outdoor hats and the first ones I grab in inclement weather. While I can get away wearing the Bushman for a variety of activities, this wide brimmed hat isn't quite dressy enough for some of my activities.

The Campdrafts are especially versatile, especially in the silverbelly color. I can wear these and feel comfortable in many scenarios. Something about a thin ribbon.

If I had to pick one Akubra hat it would probably have to be the FED IV, most likely in Tawny Fawn. The Dark Brown is a very good casual color and the somewhat dressier moonstone is next on my list. The Tawny Fawn hits the right note between dressy and casual for me. (A FED in the Bushman's unique and versatile Nullarbor Tan would also work!) The FED's wider ribbon makes it a bit dressier but the unbound medium wide brim bumps it to the casual side and for outdoor sun and rain protection.

Anyhow, just my thoughts. YMMV!

Last edited:

Cashmere

New in Town
Akubra Campdraft. It'll have the thin ribbon you are used to & the bound brim you want. Best deal out there. No question- -->Deserted Island---> one hat? Akubra Campdraft- hands down.

Ah, I do like a clear-cut answer. Bracing, that.

I hope there's at least one place on these desert island that serves a decent martini.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto