Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Secret Service"/"MIB" Suit

Sartorial experts of the Lounge, I did a quick search on this, but struck out.

In certain situations, a person may find it to their advantage to have a certain, shall we say, "faintly ominous" look to them, frequently lent by certain cuts of dark suit--I know black and with a little extra armpit-room are standard in the executive-protection business.

My question is, if I'm looking to have a tailor craft a "Secret Service/MIB"-type suit for me, what are the key stylistic components? Some movement room is a given, as is being a little loose to cover any "equipment" being carried, probably a fair amount of shoulder padding too.

Anyone care to weigh in with ideas?

drjones

A-List Customer
MIB suit

probably a square shoulder (perhaps even padding to appear a bit more ominous?), double breasted, straight cut coat.

Thats MY uninformed opinion.

DRJONES

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Not to dispel any stereotypes or anything, but I used to work around a lot of Secret Service agents. They just wear the same suits you'll see on other businessmen--nothing very distinctive, just two- and three-button suits in navy, gray, olive, dark brown, etc. Never very expensive or custom-made--they don't make that much money--and rarely very well fitted. If real Secret Service agents are "ominous," it's because of their demeanor and not because of what they're wearing.

FourKingTwenty

New in Town
I have to agree with Orgetorix. It's not what they wear, it's how they wear it. I don't think they choose a suit to look "faintly ominous," but rather "professional." More important than the badge and gun, is the attitude and demeanor.

I think you'll find that people in law enforcement, from local detectives to federal agents, get their suits a the same place everybody else does. They shop at places like Men's Wearhouse, K&G, or Jos. A. Bank. They wear suits that reflect the current style, but aren't trendy.

Good points about the reality, Orgetorix and FourKingTwenty. I was thinking of the "stereotype", what someone would see straight from Central Casting as the cliche goes. Attitude is the make-or-break on everything, but sometimes the wardrobe plays a supporting role in creating that attitude... going for "perception" was the thought here.

drjones

A-List Customer
LE people

This is an EXCELLENT point that I wasnt thinking about. I grew up with LE people around me. Father was one. anyhow...They almost instinctively walk, talk, gesture, and move in an ominous fashion. Its funny...I can to this day spot a cop a mile off in his off duty clothes. :)

DRJONES

FourKingTwenty said:
I have to agree with Orgetorix. It's not what they wear, it's how they wear it. I don't think they choose a suit to look "faintly ominous," but rather "professional." More important than the badge and gun, is the attitude and demeanor.

I think you'll find that people in law enforcement, from local detectives to federal agents, get their suits a the same place everybody else does. They shop at places like Men's Wearhouse, K&G, or Jos. A. Bank. They wear suits that reflect the current style, but aren't trendy.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Another point to consider is the idea of the MIB is being able to blend in and have no distinguishing marks. So, based on this, I would say the traditional MIB suit would be:

Single-breasted, two button closure
Notched lapels
No pocket flaps
No rear vent
3 buttons on cuffs
No cuffs on trousers

My two cents,
Magnoli

P.S. Coincidentally, I wore a similar MIB set-up on Good Friday...

Erik

One of the Regulars
So you want a special agent suit? Here's how:

1. Buy a dark grey or black suit a size too big. Off the rack, on sale, and at a price point low enough that you won't mind when it gets ruined doing special agent stuff.
2. Have it measured to be taken in while wearing your gear.
3. And never, ever button it.

The end result, especially if you're athletically built, are no tell tale bulges at the expense of appearing thicker than you are.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Another accessory would be a broad, square-shouldered overcoat, with the collar stood up. This look certainly has that "intimidation factor" it sounds like you may be going for...

Kind regards,
Magnoli

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Man from Uncle.
A very stylish `60s continental spy.
2121894350_3b0bd92b8c.jpg

Erik

One of the Regulars
"Another accessory would be a broad, square-shouldered overcoat, with the collar stood up."

Absolutely. A trench coat goes a long way along these lines as well, even the modern ones a la something Borne would wear.

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
Don't forget the shoes! Laces, no loafers. Probably a cap-toed oxford, black, with a high shine. Maybe even spit-shined for that military-edge to the look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points