THE SUNBODY ASSOCIATION

Discussion in 'Hats' started by RBH, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Great pic Ryan!

Just A Hat Rack likes this.
  2. Just A Hat Rack

Just A Hat Rack Practically Family

Thanks Bob. I was able to visit a few places in Arizona last summer. Unfortunately the pics I took never made it on the Lounge. I'll try to sneak some in from time to time.

3. Winston Carter

Winston Carter Practically Family

I was thinking the same thing. My sunbody with a 3" brim looks huge to me. I think it had a 5.25 open crown. Plenty of height to style it like you want.

4. Redshoes51

Redshoes51 One of the Regulars

My experience has been that Sunbody doesn't want to really compete against their dealers... they will sell to you from their site, but I've always been able to buy the hats for a lower price from dealers... that may well explain your situation.

~shoes~

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. J Williams

J Williams Practically Family

I know I saw this exact pic and couldn’t find it a second time. Thanks for sharing. I’m gonna go with the 3 1/2 as I think it’s more versatile in case I want to remove the curl at some point. Wouldn’t mind the extra 1/4” of crown but 5 1/2 will do.

6. Redshoes51

Monument Valley... my favorite place to be... What a great photo!

I understand that this virus has wreaked havoc on the Navajo...

I look forward to my next trip out that way...

~shoes~

tropicalbob and Just A Hat Rack like this.
  7. J Williams

In my time collecting I have realized I mostly like westerns and 3” is now kind of my lower limit. I even find my OR’s can feel a bit small to me and prefer a 3x6. Some of my favourite hats to wear have 3 1/2” brims

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  8. Just A Hat Rack

Thanks Shoes, I like your profile pic as well. Monument Valley was one of my favorite places that I've ever visited. I also hope to return and spend more time there than I did. I was also able to venture over to Horseshoe Bend as well. I know many don't fancy the desert much, but the land up that way is absolutely beautiful. It's an unfortunate and sad thing to see what's been happening to the Navajo in regards to the virus. I hope things get better for them, as well as others who this pandemic has dealt a blow to.

Just a side note, the band on my hat was purchased from a local inside the Navajo park at Monument Valley.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Redshoes51 likes this.

9. I’m right there with you. I’m all for diversity, but a 3 1/4 to 3 1/2” brim and a crown around 6” is just about perfect for me. I think part of the issue is having a large head requires bigger proportions.

Rmccamey, Zombie_61 and J Williams like this.

10. 5.25 open crown? That’s a height found more commonly in stingy brims isn’t it?

Zombie_61 and Winston Carter like this.
  11. Winston Carter

After looking at their site it says 5.5. That's why I like to start with the open crown and style it myself. I always leave it flatter on top for more height. I measured after styling it is 4.75. 20200703_124648.jpg

12. Winston Carter

Their open road comes with a cattleman crown but I had to raise it a inch. It rode too high on my head it is now 5 inches. 20200703_130855.jpg

13. Winston Carter

Also I would like to add after reading some of the posts where folks say they are cheaper from other dealers. I like to order from the factory because you can get the custom add ons. I like the binding and band to match plus the eyelets are almost a must on these hats. They are heavy stiff and in a downpour your head will almost stay dry so that lets you know you have very little ventilation. .Other than that they are indestructible.

RBH, rclark, Rmccamey and 3 others like this.
  14. Redshoes51

I failed to make it to Horseshoe Bend on previous trips, but it will be scheduled on the next trip out. I am saddened for what all has happened to the Navajo...

I meant to ask about your hatband... it is beautiful...

Thank you for your reply.

~shoes~

Just A Hat Rack likes this.
  15. J Williams

Now you got me second guessing again. You think I should go with the 4"? Curl it to 3 1/2"? The 4" brim open crown hat has a 5 3/4 open crown vs 5 1/2 on the 3 1/2 brim. Unfortunately since we need a hat for the little guy I have to order something that's in stock.

deadlyhandsome likes this.

16. The good part is there really isn’t a wrong answer. I like more brim for sun protection and to stay in scale with my head size, but I think both options you’re looking at will look good.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  17. Just A Hat Rack

Thanks on the hatband.
    If you make it to Horseshoe Bend, make a point to head over to Antelope Canyon that's nearby. I didn't get a chance to go, but I hear it's beautiful there.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  18. rclark

rclark Call Me a Cab

My first Sunbody purchased circa 2005
    B940B668-58B5-466E-8922-74386EAEE8AE.jpeg 5C46A046-0350-481F-A155-F176D53BBAEC.jpeg

19. RBH

RBH Bartender

My Sunbody has served me well these last 4 seasons!

[​IMG]

20. My latest SunBody: 4” brim and 5 1/2” crown. The brim came completely flat but I gave it a little shape.

F55D27C8-BEB8-474C-90F4-5897C25CD4DC.jpeg FF216693-FF8D-4AF4-A474-A6B8EB1F0F2F.jpeg AA99C185-F794-4282-99F7-4309A42B5BE5.jpeg F5E23CA0-E46F-4BD7-8CDA-2857DC2CD938.jpeg 0A8A949F-83DD-495E-BB8B-59E34485BCCF.jpeg DAB32853-52F4-4CDA-9E57-F4361EDB6F27.jpeg

I should add that I bought this used and the small flaws in the brim edge weave is how it arrived to me. It’s not a dress hat so the little character issues bother me not at all.