Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The sundowners

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
IMG_1669.JPG
IMG_1668.JPG

Thought this watercolour really suited the great outdoors. It is from an exhibition by Christopher Clarke antiques.

http://www.campaignfurniture.com

I have no connection other than I am on their mailing list and if I had a spare £1000 I would buy the painting.

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
The book by Schwarz is the newer one. I also have a copy of British Campaign Furniture by Nicolaus Brawer. This is a large, coffee table sort of book that was never reprinted and brings some serious money on the used book market. Fortunately, I got it new. I'll see about pictures. It's somewhat amusing to discover that the kit for a young captain could be carried by a single pack mule but the colonel of the regiment required an entire elephant!

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Okay, Living Under Canvas was universally panned. However there is a three volume set by Hennessy on Nomadic Furniture. I remember the first volume that was printed in the '70's and it was a kick. Now there are three volumes so I may get the lot. Not all of it is 'campaign furniture' because the originals were made by the best of London makers for the officers (read aristocracy!) of the British army. You know Chippendale and the lot. But the pieces that were described in Vol 1 of Nomadic Furniture are quite useful and not too hard to build if my aging memory serves me well. Relatively available and decent prices. Check 'em out.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
The book by Schwarz is the newer one. I also have a copy of British Campaign Furniture by Nicolaus Brawer. This is a large, coffee table sort of book that was never reprinted and brings some serious money on the used book market. Fortunately, I got it new. I'll see about pictures. It's somewhat amusing to discover that the kit for a young captain could be carried by a single pack mule but the colonel of the regiment required an entire elephant!

Wow, that's a nice return for my £30, sadly it's a book that I would not part from!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Love the American Camp Chair! Once this house and yard are finished to my specs I'll be investing in a teardrop trailer as a mobile camp. Since they were invented clear back in the '40's I maintain that they are perfectly appropriate shelter for the Fedora Lounge and having a pop-open kitchen is something I hold dear. And being as the teardrop is only the bedroom and kitchen of the camp, a fly covering a pair of American Camp Chairs and one of those tables (Kampier advertises something very similar though as Greencanoes said, as a DIY it wouldn't be terribly challenging) would be quite satisfactory. Then all I would need would be someone to fill the other chair . . .

Oldsarge

One Too Many
That's a famous pair. It's been shown in at least one book and shows up in Google image searches quite regularly. The guy who built the teardrop to match his woodie is a genius, IMO, and has a fine, puckish sense of humor. I'd hate to think how much you'd have to hand him to get him to part with it. Last time I looked a cherry-restored Woodie was running well over $50K.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21