Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Territory Ahead

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I have been receivng catalogs from a vendor named "The Territory Ahead."

I like the style of the clothes they offer but know nothing about their quality in terms of material or of craftmanship.

Does anyone have experience with The Territory Ahead?

SGB

One of the Regulars
I've had to return everything I bought from them as the quality was terrible. Shirts and a leather jacket, the jacket was the worst I'd ever seen. A piece of junk. I don't buy from them anymore.

SGB

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Really? I've received a couple of their shirts as presents. Well-fitting, good fabrics, Tight stitching, strong buttons, little fading, no fraying (yet). Guess I was lucky.

Want to talk about shoddy workmanship? Look at J. Peterman clothing from before the company's bankruptcy. Few stitches per inch (and cheap polyester thread), awful fabric used for linings, shallow pockets, badly sewn-on buttons, and on and on. Matt Deckard assures me that J. Peterman's more recent offerings have improved in quality.

In general, my motto is: Never trust a clothing retailer that doesn't show PHOTOS (or at least clear illustrations) of its products.

Mike K.

One Too Many
I own two shirts from them. The one is short-sleeved and I love it. The other is a long-sleeved flannel...not as it appeared in their catalog but I liked it enough to keep it. Other items that were purchased were returned. My biggest complaint is that the actual item does not appear as in their catalog. Catalog colors are much more vivid and contrasty compared to the actual garments, which are more muted. Quality did not seem to be an issue. I'll second the comments made earlier about price...just to high for what you get.

SGB

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Really? I've received a couple of their shirts as presents. Well-fitting, good fabrics, Tight stitching, strong buttons, little fading, no fraying (yet). Guess I was lucky.

Want to talk about shoddy workmanship? Look at J. Peterman clothing from before the company's bankruptcy. Few stitches per inch (and cheap polyester thread), awful fabric used for linings, shallow pockets, badly sewn-on buttons, and on and on. Matt Deckard assures me that J. Peterman's more recent offerings have improved in quality.

In general, my motto is: Never trust a clothing retailer that doesn't show PHOTOS (or at least clear illustrations) of its products.

I was going to mention J Peterman, I only buy their cologne not clothes. My wife visited their store before they went bust and was really disappointed, high prices, poor quality, and made in China. I love their catalogs, especially the art. As an artist I always enjoy the illustrations, not having any interest in buying anything makes the art not an issue.
I bought 2 shirts and one leather jacket from Territory Ahead over a period of a year, wanting to give them another chance. Failed each time, as I said earlier. The leather jacket was the worst piece of leather I've ever seen. I collect leather jackets and am a dealer for 2 brands, even my low-end brand was tons better, by a lot.

SGB

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
SGB said:
My wife visited [J. Peterman's] store before they went bust and was really disappointed, high prices, poor quality, and made in China.

Exactly. Less expensive than high-end Ralph Lauren, but still overpriced and of really shoddy quality.

SGB, we're grateful to you and everyone else who shares their (good and bad) experiences with retailers. :eusa_clap

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There is a Territory Ahead store in Chestnut Hill just outside of Boston. I have been there many times. Personally, I find their clothes sort of boring with that constant South Western theme, but if you like that, the quality seemed fine.

The leather jackets they had there were very nice and very well made. Though I am unsure whether these were the same items as the folks stated above had problems with. I didn't like the design.

They have a lot of nice leather bags.

They do seem rather expensive.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
My dad loves their stuff -- but then again, he lives in Sedona, Arizona.

I don't mean that as a pejorative term, it's just that the store is almost comical laid out in khakis, clays, and olive greens, basically a Native American-print and earth-tone paradise. -Not for me. ;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Don't worry, I didn't read it that way. Actually, I'm laughing (in a friendly way) at my dad: a native Nu Yawker who spent most of his working life in Los Angeles and is now enthusiastically "southwesternizing" himself in Sedona.
Out there with Billy Crystal and Jack Palance! ;)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I've only gotten a couple things from Territory Ahead, and I use them continuously. Like most everyone here, I object to their prices more than anything, and have not been willing to gamble the cost of shipping the stuff back and forth.

I have the Guy Stuff Roll Bag, which I find pretty useful for local travel. It's useless for air travel except as a carryon, because it would get caught up in the conveyor belts very easily. They've recently fixed the things about it that I don't like, but they also raised the price significantly. I would not have bought it at this price.

The other thing I have is their Outpost Vest. I wear vests a lot out here in the cooler months, and this one is perfect. The guys at work still think I am "dressing up" when I wear it, but then they think dressing up is wearing their Harley Davidson t-shirt that doesn't have any holes in it. I hemmed and hawed over the price of the vest, too, and after about three years (literally!) of debating it, my wife finally said, "Just get it, for crying out loud!" Now I covet several more of their vests, including the Armchair Hunter's Vest, the Master's Sunday Vest, and the Hawk Ranch Vest. It'll probably be another three years before I can ratioanlize the price, though! lol

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
MJ - I like these vest too...

Mojave Jack said:
Now I covet several more of their vests, including the... Master's Sunday Vest
Especially this one:

The Master's Sunday Vest

This vest conveys the quiet, craggy authority of genius on his day off - of say, Twain or Edison or Huston dozing in the garden after completing a major work. The linen-silk blend lends the waffle-textured fabric a supremely soft, comfortable feel and masterly drape, and there are subtle touches: three welt pockets trimmed with nubuck leather; five corozo nut buttons; a slight cut-away front; and an adjustable half-belt in back for a fine-tuned fit. Dry clean. Imported in Sand. $79.00.

vest.jpg

Only problem? Shows a 02/22/2007 availability date.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Zemke Fan said:
Especially this one:

The Master's Sunday Vest

Only problem? Shows a 02/22/2007 availability date.
Well, it'll fit right into my three-year plan then! lol

My co-worker's wife does all his shopping, and I think he has about every shirt they make. He seems to like them. Like Hemingway, I tend to shy away from the more western styled stuff, but they have a few other things I'd like to check out, like the Airman's Boots.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Mojave Jack said:
I've only gotten a couple things from Territory Ahead, and I use them continuously. Like most everyone here, I object to their prices more than anything, and have not been willing to gamble the cost of shipping the stuff back and forth.

I have the Guy Stuff Roll Bag, which I find pretty useful for local travel. It's useless for air travel except as a carryon, because it would get caught up in the conveyor belts very easily. They've recently fixed the things about it that I don't like, but they also raised the price significantly. I would not have bought it at this price.

The other thing I have is their Outpost Vest. I wear vests a lot out here in the cooler months, and this one is perfect. The guys at work still think I am "dressing up" when I wear it, but then they think dressing up is wearing their Harley Davidson t-shirt that doesn't have any holes in it. I hemmed and hawed over the price of the vest, too, and after about three years (literally!) of debating it, my wife finally said, "Just get it, for crying out loud!" Now I covet several more of their vests, including the Armchair Hunter's Vest, the Master's Sunday Vest, and the Hawk Ranch Vest. It'll probably be another three years before I can ratioanlize the price, though! lol

Their shirts are great. I have several. They have sales from time to time and when they do you can get a bargain or two...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy