Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Thread to Display 1950s Suits

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
I think this is from the late 50s. Not to sure though. New to suit dating. Here are some photos.

20150626_212435_zpsyz0tx7oc.jpg

20150626_212812_zps0oiqhyd8.jpg

20150626_212707_zps8rcl5yy1.jpg 20150626_212428_zpsqawzzxt7.jpg

1a5d04f1-15f3-40d5-8359-0754406d32e2_zpsde2xy5pv.jpg

Last edited:

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
Okay. And i'm guessing it would make sense to be just around 62' from the wider lapels? I noticed some styles didnt really change till at least a few years after the change of the decade. It really looks like an older style for that decade to be honest.

brendanm720

One of the Regulars
That suit looks pretty nice. I like the fabric.

Okay. And i'm guessing it would make sense to be just around 62' from the wider lapels? I noticed some styles didnt really change till at least a few years after the change of the decade. It really looks like an older style for that decade to be honest.

I'd say it was probably from the later 60s or even early 70s... The early 60s had the really skinny lapels.

Oh and do you think there is a possibility that this is an older suit that was stamped with this union tag at a later time than when it was made? I have heard this with hats before.

Usually, it's the other way around... The shop would use up its older tags before opening up the new ones, so usually you'll see newer suits with older tags.

Dinerman is more versed in the union tag than I am. He may have more info.

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
Ok. It looked good with my 40s fedora. It looks very 40s in the style of the lapel which is why I bought it. The looks is what I went for but the catch is the zipper was metal in the pants. I know for a fact that the 70s had plastic so figure 62 to 68

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
1952 Clipper-Craft medium-weight tweed suit with multi-color flecks.
Marked Size 39. Has been extended at the back seam to fit a Size 40 Regular
Enough inlay in sleeves and legs for a 40 Long.
Will go to the "Classified" section for sale.
PM me if interested.

Clipper%201.jpg

Clipper%202.jpg

Clipper%203.jpg

Clipper%204.jpg

Clipper%205.jpg

Clipper%206.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Sold by McCracken Bros of Bozeman, MT. Interesting and unusual with the almost square cutaway, and extremely slanted interior breast pockets.

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
I've picked up three in the UK within 18 months all pre 1950 and virtually immaculate all £ 20 or less, as Dinerman says there's plenty out there.
They usually get put out near Christmas and because they've changed little over the years shops rarely know the difference between newer and older stuff so they don't tend to get put into the 'vintage' section....at least in the UK!

This is very true. I came back from work early a few weeks ago and passed a 2nd hand shop on my way to the supermarket. In the window there was a wedding dress and a morning coat. It was not a very good example, but inside on the rack between the bagged-out old coats was a nice morning coat made for Moss Bros: fully canvassed and hand-padded with a partial quilted lining. Just 10 euros, I snapped it up and it fits well. It has one of their old outer labels and the inner has the telephone number as: 'Temple Bar 4477', a system made obsolete by the mid-1960s.

They also had an evening dress coat, also fully canvassed etc, for 12 euros, which didn't fit but I still should have bought it. Dinner jackets are all over the place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider