Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Weight of Shearling Flight Jackets

Plumbline

One Too Many
OK ... Zoran here's what I have

Aero

ANJ-4 (2015) 42" 4.1Kg
ANJ-4 (2012) 42" 4.0Kg (Sold)
B3 (early 2000's) 42" 3.25Kg ( Fenland Sheepskin)
Irvin ( early 2000's) 44" 3.4Kg ( Sold)

Eastman

ANJ-4 (1990's) 44" 3.65Kg (Fenland Sheepskin)
ANJ-4 (2011) 44" 3.85 Kg ( Warhorse Overlays) (Sold)
B3 (2000's) 44" 3.25Kg
Irvine (1990's) 44" 3.25Kg ( Sold)

LW
ANJ-4 (2005) 42" 4.2Kg
B3 (early 2000's) 42" 4.25Kg ( Sold)

(weights include a wooden hanger and were taken on my 35Kg max luggage scales)

My observations are as follows :

Fenland sheepskin is significantly less dense and lighter in both hand and feel than all other sheepskins .... Stu's is the densest but only marginally more than Aero's new and old stuff which are pretty similar TBH.

Irvin's are the lightest of the shearlings ( I believe because of the lack of pockets / overlays)

HTH

Stand By

One Too Many
I agree with Fanch and Sloan. That's mighty nice of you to provide the useful information, Plumbline - but Zoran wasn't nice in his pursuit of the information. I wouldn't have rewarded that, myself.
That said though, I think it's very good information to have on here and good for you for posting nonetheless. I am sure many will appreciate it - as do I.
Cheers.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Didn't see the abusive posts ( but hey .. I'm sure those who can will edit out the "offensive" bits ... that's what they do to mine :) )

Thankfully - as far as I recall - no-one ever died of being offended !!

Did see many requests and many replies ...... no idea of the motive, but the info is there.

This contrast to most other forums is why I love this place - Plumbline took the time to individually weight his jackets, or at least to gather the weight info for each, and put together this excellent post. I almost wish the thread would somehow get deleted only so that nutjob wouldn't get what he wants, but this is some great info in itself that people who are not mental cases might genuinely benefit from. I feel sorry for the jacket that has to be donned by Zoltan.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Whoever Zoran is, he posted some bizarre and egregious racist abuse after I called him out for repeating the same question across 16 separate moribund threads.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I thought there was something odd about his grammatical mistakes, as they don't follow any pattern and appear to be made up as he went along. Also, a number of his word choices were distinctly British, such as "cheeky." It's unheard of for someone with little knowledge of a foreign language to be familiar with such terms.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My thoughts exactly, it felt very mannered - who would bother sticking the stupid question across 16 threads, no matter how much of a noob they were? I've been wondering how long it would take a certain person to reappear.

Zoran is a Slavic, almost exclusively Serbo-Croatian name, one that I haven't noticed appear in any other nationality. I could be wrong of course but the grammatical errors in his posts were somewhat common to these specific Slavic languages, as the sentences were constructed in a manner they would be in a speakers native tongue. He also mentioned something about how 'they' perceive Englishmen, if I understood him at all. I noticed this too, though, how he was familiar with some chiefly British words and expressions... And also, he quoted a number of posts, either without adding anything at all or replying within the quoted text, which would indicate that the guy had no clue how the forum works.

I don't know, it could've been just someone trolling but I think this guy was genuine. If it was a troll, it was a good one.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of my favourite movie quotes
"The world is full of crazy people Jack."
I get reminded of this almost every day...

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks, Monitor. I didn't see the abusive posts, so I don't know what the problem was.

Does seem as though he needs to take a little vacation so he will know what powers the Moderators have over unruly posters. Many posters really don't know what can happen to them. That is usually an eye opener and I seldom have to do anything else to get their attention (on another forum). PC.

John Lever

One Too Many
Those weight variations are quite small and I doubt would be obvious to the wearer. I would also disagree that Fenland produced less dense fleece than others. The jackets I own all have very dense thick fleece.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Sorry John .. should have clarified .. the Fenland is my FAVOURITE sheepskin and by density I mean actual density ( Kg/m3) .... there is plenty of wool / fleece it's certainly not "thin" and the skin/hide part is not thin or insignificant ... but it's lighter per M2/M3 than the others .... the Fenland fleece doesn't measure up any shorter in length/depth.

The non-fenland Aero and LW fleeces feel "Thicker" and "Denser" than the Fenland and don't drape anywhere near as well as the Fenland ( hopefully that makes some sort of sense) .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto