Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Westerner" by Resistol

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Hello all...
[huh] Does anyone know anything about the "Westerner" series of hats by Resistol? Just picked one up...no x markings....just the words "The Westerner", it's a soft felt...lots of powder in silver belly. It was sent by mistake (a 4x was ordered), so the question...is this a better hat?
Thank all!

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I would be almost willing to bet it was a wool felt hat, but I don't know. Resistol does sell wool felt hats. I saw some at Tractor Supply Co. the other day. I didn't pay attention to whether they said "Westerner" in them or not...

Better talk to the guy you got it from to see one way or the other.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys....I pm'd Besdor to see if he knew anything...IC suggested calling Petersbros and see what they knew. It's softer that wool and feels like it's got beaver...but I'm sure they just shipped the wrong hat...but heck...if it's a better lid...I'd consider keeping it...[huh] :D

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Ok...spoke to PB (lovely people on the phone)...and they said that it's probably wool...if there are no x's listed. Face it these hat makers love to show them X's off....So I'll be contacting the seller and making the return...it's too bad, cuz it was pretty comfy on the noggin....

Wool Resistol

I've got, what has to be, a wool Resistol from the mid-70's. I don't remember paying a fur-felt price for it back then. I think it was around $30-$35. I'm at work and have drawn a blank on the name that's on the sweatband. It has no x's on the sweatband. It's a medium brown, rather stiff, but not a bad hat really. I had the brim cut down to 2 3/4". I tried to convert it to a fedora, but it didn't want to cooperate no matter how much steam I put on it - even on a brim flange. It had little "peaks" most of the way around the brim that wouldn't steam flat. I put a new 1" chocolate-brown ribbon on it, and put the brim back to "cowboy-style". I put a Cattleman's / Alpine crown crease on it instead of the pinch crown it originally had.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
The wool Resistols at TSC were something like $69.

I tried once reshaping a wool hat. It just doesn't want to cooperate.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Yeah...I'm thinking it's a wool more and more. Though I'm waiting for a more official word from Besdor...he's going to try and look it up.:D

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I couldn't find it on the Resistol website. However, one just got listed on ebay, in the cowboy/western hats section. That one says 3X Quality, on the sweatband.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
Hello all...
[huh] Does anyone know anything about the "Westerner" series of hats by Resistol? Just picked one up...no x markings....just the words "The Westerner", it's a soft felt...lots of powder in silver belly. It was sent by mistake (a 4x was ordered), so the question...is this a better hat?
Thank all!

Could be a blend with coney/hare/rabbit and other fibres. That could account for a softer felt but still not Beaver or Beaver blend.
Take look at the specs for US Army Campaign Hats during WWI and WWII. THere were a lot of different fibres in those bodies.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Thats what I was thinking Carter. A blend of something, but not beaver. You know hat companies love to show off those "x's" on the sweat band...so if this had any at all, they'd be on there somewhere.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
Thats what I was thinking Carter. A blend of something, but not beaver. You know hat companies love to show off those "x's" on the sweat band...so if this had any at all, they'd be on there somewhere.

There's a 6 7/8 Resistol Saddler Westerner listed on OFAS currently.
It doesn't look like wool but...?
I'm guessing it's a blend.
Have you looked under the sweatband for a production tag or tags?
It may be a nice vintage hat. I can't find it in any current Resistol listings on-line.

What size is this hat? I may be interested if you're sending it back.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
It's got all the tags on it still...and I've plugged the numbers in all over and nothing comes up on it. It just seems like a series of hat put out by Resistol for the masses. Didn't Stetson also put out the "Renegade" series of hats. I believe they were like this one....

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
She finally emailed me and said that she was sorry about the whole thing.
I'm still waiting on her next respose as far as what to do with the hat I have and if she has the replacement or not....

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
She finally emailed me and said that she was sorry about the whole thing.
I'm still waiting on her next respose as far as what to do with the hat I have and if she has the replacement or not....
Don't delete the email in case they try to pull a fast one and leave you stuck with something less than what you ordered!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto