Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The wonderful foods of the Golden Era

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I was reminded of this by comments in another thread as well as a discussion with my young wife. I'm sure it's been talked to death already but I didn't get a chance to say anything. So here are some more thoughts.

First off, the Golden Era to me was the 1950s, although the early 60s weren't bad. No doubt the 1940s were better and everyone always says the nothing was better than the 1930s. But I don't remember those earlier decades as well but only because I hadn't been born yet, although I remember some things pretty well. We never quite leave the past behind, you know.

We do seem to leave a few foods behind, though, only to be replaced by newfangled foods like tacos, frozen pizza and instant mashed potatoes. For instance, who still makes Jello or instant pudding, you know, the stuff that you saw in stemware glasses in refrigerator advertisments being peddled by housewives who wore dresses, presumably because they were going to have their pictures taken.

For some reason, the one food item that I remember from my childhood in the 1950s was a kind of salad that consisted of a big spoonful of cottage cheese on a bed of lettuce topped with a cherry. I guess it was a food but I wouldn't eat it. There were a lot of things I wouldn't eat, like most kids, which may have been the reason I was skinny, but a cottage cheese salad was my favorite thing that I refused to eat. I don't think anything else came close.

A distant second and I mean a very distant second was celery. We didn't have it very often and if memory serves (it usually doesn't--I have to get it myself), it only appeared on the table at Thanksgiving and probably Christmas. It was placed in a funny shaped cut glass dish with a purple edge. I'm not sure if we had that dish for the purpose of serving celery or if we served celery as an excuse to use that particular dish. I have no idea what ever became of it but we don't have it and we therefore don't serve celery. There always seems to be celery in the refrigerator but I don't know why. It's always limp, too. At least it doesn't start sprouting like the baby carrots. Baby carrots didn't exist when I was little. That would probably make an interesting research project.

We had a garden, as did half the people in the neighborhood. Those who didn't were considered unpatriotic slaggards. Some of the food we grew was okay but there were some things I didn't think were that appetizing and still don't, in spite of having broadened my taste for unusual foods in the last 60 years, which has led to other things broadening. But I never saw the point of raising squash. My grandmother would eat it but it was on my list of untouchable foods. I think we may have grown it just to fill in the wasted space between the corn stalks. We also grew rhubarb. It grew in a little patch in a corner of the garden and for the longest time I thought it was a wild plant. More likely, it was what was called "voluntary." To this day I have no idea what it's used for.

We also grew vast quantities of leaf lettuce as well as onions. But I have come to understand that onions do not agree with some people.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
In the 50s, I recall eating tacos made from beef skirt which was
relegated to the side in the butcher shop and very affordable.
Today, grocery stores stock this
meat. They called it "fajita" and
costs as much as a good beef
steak.
Taco bell is not authentic tacos,
but if you like Fritos, you probably
enjoy these "tacos". :)

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I've never been in Taco Bell. And authentic tacos are not made from wheat, although I understand they are becoming more popular in the northern part of Mexico, close to the border.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
When I went to Mexico City to
report on the elections.
Chain-food places like a
McDonald's or Burger King
were there, but found the
prices very extravagant
compared to the ones in the U.S.

In airports, a tiny cup of orange
juice was $5.

"Why the price?" I asked.
"Hey... it's the airport!"
I was told.

In border towns I have visited.
Natives will apply hot tabasco
sauce on most everything they eat.

I took a bite once to check it out.
My tongue never forgave me that
day. :(

Last edited:

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
As with lank/skirt steak, so with chicken wings. They used to be super-cheap and people mainly boiled them for soup, along with the necks and backs. I remember when I could buy them for $ .10 per pound. Then somebody invented Buffalo Wings. Now they're the costliest part of the chicken.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Taco Bell's taco mix contains a high percentage of ground oats. Hey, it's good for your heart!

Fast food was a once a year treat when I was little. The only McDonalds in our area was in Bangor, a forty minute drive away, and we only went there once a year, in August, when we went back-to-school shopping at Zayre's, the big New England discount chain. McDonald's was right across the street, and we'd always stop there for lunch. No indoor seating, you sat in your car and tossed french fries out the window at the pigeons that swarmed in the lot.

At home we never had elegant desserts. If we had Jell-O, we had it plain, in a blob on the plate spooned out of a big bowl. Pudding and custard were the other options, and both were served the same way.

For main dishes we ate a lot of offal meats -- my favorite food as a kid was boiled heart, and I'd eat as much of it as could be put in front of me. We also ate a lot of boiled tripe, which I didn't like so much. We also ate a lot of fried mackerel, steamed clams, and boiled lobster, all of which was dirt cheap at the time --and in the case of the mackerel and the clams, free as long as you had a dropline or a clam hoe. For vegetables we'd often dig dandelion greens out of the dooryard and boil those, even though they tasted like a green string mop that had been left in the sun too long. We'd also eat canned string beans, boiled to the state of mushiness, and in summer, and only in summer, boiled corn on the cob. The majority of what we ate was boiled. We even ate a lot of boiled cereal for breakfast -- Wheatena was a favorite, along with plain boiled cornmeal with salt. The culinary arts were never emphasized in our family.

Convenience foods were popular going back to the 1930s. My mother's favorite thing was the infamous "Banquet Bag," which was a jellied mass of sliced meat and gravy sold frozen in a plastic pouch, and boiled until hot. Pour that over a slice of toast, and you have 90 percent of what she ate in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s.

We ate a lot of Spam, the name brand stuff when we could afford it, the USDA surplus stuff when we couldn't. I liked Government Spam better than the real thing -- it had a nicer texture, and more of the jellied aspic in the can. One year we had a baked Spam for Thanksgiving -- and don't laugh, few things are tastier than a Spam coated in brown sugar/mustard sauce, studded with cloves, and baked for fifteen minutes. I'd eat one right now if I had it handy.

I tried to grow carrots behind the back doorsteps one year, but pulled them up and ate them before they were mature. I may have been the first person in this part of the state to eat "baby carrots."

FDR was legendary for his cheap, don't-give-a-damn meals while in the White House. He made a conscious decision to do away with all the pomp and ceremony and multi-course meals favored by Mr. Hoover, and wanted to show solidarity with poor Depression families by eating on the cheap. His favorite lunch, thruout his administration, was a pool of canned fruit cocktail served on a small blob of cottage cheese. It cost about ten cents a serving.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It was called "menudo" in my neck
of the woods.
I enjoyed it as a kid.
Later years, I found it was boiled stomach lining that came from
cows.
Fried baloney with eggs or potatos
was a common meal.
Also hot dogs cut into small pieces
and added to eggs or potatos. :(

Every now and then I would hear this at the dinner table...

"Think of all the starving kids in
China or India!"

Not sure what country was mentioned.

When we ate out, pizzerias, diners, delis were the main places, but my dad (who made 99.999999999999999% or more of the decision in our house) did not like fast food. I don't really know why (he wasn't big on explaining - "shut up, he explained" is only somewhat funny to me even to this day), but I think he didn't have those places as a kid when he grew up in the '30s - so it wasn't a pattern he developed early and he wasn't big on new experiences.

I also remember him once saying he didn't like the way you stood on line to order and that you carried your food to your table. It wasn't that he was fancy, I used to have to run up and grab the pizza form the counter at our favorite pizza place - hardly fancy - but I guess the procedure at fast food places didn't work for him. He was, from my definition of the Golden Era, a true man of that generation - so in a way, fast food was really not a GE thing. Their version was Howard Johnson, Schrafts, Lindy's - all places he'd eat in - but they were more like chain restaurants practicing their own variations on a diner than modern fast food places.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Blue Train, the way to eat celery if you want it's nutritional value but don't like the taste, is to chop it into tiny pieces and add it to a ragu sauce. Ragu is the sauce that is used in bolognese. Here in the UK, we had rationing, following WW2, up and until the early 1950's, you ate whatever you could get. Chicken back then was so expensive you had it just for Christmas, turkey was unheard of. Like Lizzie, we ate a lot of offal, but the way it was cooked made it so unappetising, I swear you could resole your shoes with a piece of liver, baked in the oven. Nowadays, having discovered an Italian dish called Roman Liver, the meal has become one of our regulars, but remembering the liver back in the 50's, I really never ever thought that I could eat it again.

We also ate a lot of rabbit, chopped small and put into a stew with whatever vegetables Mother could get hold of, add suet dumplings and it was a filling, nutritional meal. But the one overriding dish that I can remember was a dessert, served at school. It looked gross, tasted worse and got the nickname, frogspawn. I give you: "Tapioca Pudding."
frog spawn.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
When we ate out, pizzerias, diners, delis were the main places, but my dad (who made 99.999999999999999% or more of the decision in our house) did not like fast food. I don't really know why (he wasn't big on explaining - "shut up, he explained" is only somewhat funny to me even to this day), but I think he didn't have those places as a kid when he grew up in the '30s - so it wasn't a pattern he developed early and he wasn't big on new experiences.

I also remember him once saying he didn't like the way you stood on line to order and that you carried your food to your table. It wasn't that he was fancy, I used to have to run up and grab the pizza form the counter at our favorite pizza place - hardly fancy - but I guess the procedure at fast food places didn't work for him. He was, from my definition of the Golden Era, a true man of that generation - so in a way, fast food was really not a GE thing. Their version was Howard Johnson, Schrafts, Lindy's - all places he'd eat in - but they were more like chain restaurants practicing their own variations on a diner than modern fast food places.

You made me aware that we
didn't have cafeterias where one would stood in line or carry the tray to the tables when I was young.

My father would be very upset with you if you were to toss me
a slice of bread at the table if I
were to ask you to pass the bread.
It was no big deal for me if you did. But it sure irritated him.
We never said grace at the table
except on Thanksgiving Day.

Sliced bananas in a bowl with
milk and honey was my all time
favorite dish as a kid. :)

Last edited:
You made me aware that we
didn't have cafeterias where one would stood in line or carry the tray to the tables when I was young.

My father would be very upset with you if you were to toss me
a slice of bread at the table if I
were to ask you to pass the bread.
It was no big deal for me if you did.
We never said grace at the table
except on Thanksgiving Day.

My entire upbringing was basically spent navigating a mine field of some logical rules and some completely arbitrary ones. While the arbitrary runs grated a bit (I was still too young to fully recognize the crazy and unfair arbitrary nature of them), what really bothered me was that it was hard to always know where they were. My main goal in growing up was staying off my dad's radar by never calling attention to myself and avoiding the mines. If I did that, life ran okay as my mom was hands off, nice and was focused on my dad anyway (he was the gravitation pull in our house - she knew she had to fully focus on him to keep the ship running).

My dad was anti-religion, so no grace but a mix-and-match set of table manners and rules were at work (which, again, later in life I learned were not hard-and-fast rules, but just how he liked things to be) that, once I learned, were fine enough. There was no "tossing" at our table, things were passed. I can remember going to friends' houses and things being tossed and I literally (can still feel it today just writing about it) a shudder of fear would shoot through me as I expected the father to explode. When he didn't, I was somewhat relieved, but still on edge.

One thing my mom taught me was her idea on how to take and butter bread at a table - and I don't know why it was important to her as she wasn't this way in general. She said to take a piece of bread from the basket (if you touched it, that's the one you take, period) and put it on your plate. Then take a reasonable amount of butter and put that on your plate. Now gently tear off just the amount of bread you can eat in one bite, butter just that and eat it. If you want more - repeat. You were not to butter the entire piece of bread at once or to eat the bread like a sandwich. It's funny, despite realizing that this is completely arbitrary, to this day, I can't eat it in public any other way.

Last edited:
... But the one overriding dish that I can remember was a dessert, served at school. It looked gross, tasted worse and got the nickname, frogspawn. I give you: "Tapioca Pudding."
View attachment 68411

Different folks, different stokes. I love tapioca pudding and have even asked super girlfriend to make it for me once in while. Which, bless her heart, she will, despite the fact that she feels about it like you do.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Oh, we had tapioca pudding but it was something else I didn't eat. In the case of celery, it wasn't that I didn't like the taste because I don't think it has any. It was that it was so chewy and stringy. Modern farming has not affected the basic characteristics, apparently.

We seemed to have beans everyday, nearly always green beans, also called string beans. In the summer, fresh from the vine or the supermarket, which was an A&P, in the winter they were canned. The canned ones weren't so great. We had hot dogs at home every Friday, with chili. That was the day my father and I went grocery shopping. Also a lot of potatoes, which were one thing we never grew, I guess because we only had so much space. But we grew corn. Although there were several things I wouldn't touch, I still managed to sometimes take more than I could eat. That was the old "your eyes are bigger than your stomach" thing. That doesn't happen anymore.

I don't recall the first time I saw or heard of pizza. I think it may have been when I went away to college, where other novelities like pepperoni rolls could also be found. At some point when I was still in college, I think, I had some homemade pizza at someone's house at home. There were a surprising number of Italian immigrants around where I grew up and that was back when America was great, too.

Yes, we also had fried baloney and Spam. There's only one Spam but not all baloney is created equal. Another oddity I recall from those days is the way everyone in the neighborhood where I chanced to set at their table fixed essentially the same food. Yet everyone's dishes tasted different to a greater or lesser degree. And nobody had a grill.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
To this day, I cannot take a bite of eggs no matter what style without bread.

My mom served margarine butter at the table.
My grandma served butter at her table.

Today...no matter what store or brand of "real" butter I buy.
It don't taste like the one my grandma served. :mad:

God doesn't love me! :(
I'll eat tapioca at gun point or if I'm starving!

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Different folks, different stokes. I love tapioca pudding and have even asked super girlfriend to make it for me once in while. Which, bless her heart, she will, despite the fact that she feels about it like you do.

Agreed. Tapioca is a sign that there is a God who loves his suffering creatures.

The longshormen in our family loaded raw tapioca onto ships, and suffered greatly from the dust thus generated. But that didn't stop them from eating it heartily when it was turned into pudding. One of the great foods of all time.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't recall the first time I saw or heard of pizza. I think it may have been when I went away to college, where other novelities like pepperoni rolls could also be found. At some point when I was still in college, I think, I had some homemade pizza at someone's house at home. There were a surprising number of Italian immigrants around where I grew up and that was back when America was great, too.

You could get pizza in Italian neighborhoods in the Northeast well before World War I, and it became extremely popular in New England by the late 1930s. It was sold in little neighborhood Italian-run grocery stores, often under the name of "hot tomato pie" or "Italian pie." The main difference between this product and the pizza that's familiar today is that it rarely had any toppings other than tomato sauce, oilive oil, and cheese, and the crust tended to be thicker than is customary now. Not Chicago deep-dish thick, but thicker than that which became popular in the Northeast after the war. Often the cheese would go *under* the tomato sauce rather than on top of it.

Maine's first hotbed of pizza was Lewiston -- an overwhelmingly French-oriented city that nonetheless had a few Italian markets where pizza -- under that name -- was being sold and widely advertised by 1937.

As far as cold cuts go, we never called them that. They were called "pressed meat," and there were interesting variants like macaroni and cheese loaf, which was baloney with actual cooked macaroni and cheese mixed into it. One of my favorite things to have in a sandwich as a kid. "Pressed meat" was a treat, not something we had every day, and I relished it when we did.

To this day, I cannot take a bite of eggs no matter what style without bread.

My mom served margarine butter at the table.
My grandma served butter at her table.

Today...no matter what store or brand of "real" butter I buy.
It don't taste like the one my grandma served. :mad:

God doesn't love me! :(
I'll eat tapioca at gun point or if I'm starving!

Agreed, eggs need bread - a fried egg on a waffle is the Powell-Loy of breakfast combinations, saucy but happy together in a comfortable way.

At home there was margarine (dad had heart issues, margarine probably made it worse, but we didn't know that then) and at grandma's there was butter. No one is calling to ask me my opinion on nuanced flavors, but even as a kid, I could tell that butter had it all over margarine. I can happily eat good bread and butter as a meal sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21