Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The World's Most Expensive suit '09 SOLD

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Motto: " IN THEIR GREED FOR MORE,GRASPING PEOPLE OFTEN THROW AWAY WHAT THEY HAVE ALREADY. - By: K.OWARE - Hamburg "

Article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8011334.stm

The suit was unveiled on 22 April 2009 and SOLD.

Alexander Amosu - the designer
http://www.modernghana.com/movie/5847/3/worlds-most-expensive-suit-created-by-nigerias-ale.html

Still more stylish than the most expensive suit of 2007:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-487871/The-worlds-expensive-suit-A-snip-45-000.html

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Some people have SO much money that spending 70 thousand pounds is pennies for them. Money isn't at all the same thing for them. ;)

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
It isn't even bespoke nor does look particularly good. The cost is in the materials which are gaudy in themselves. No amount of vomit... no amount...

JimWagner

Practically Family
The real shocker to me is that the designer made a fortune selling ring tones. People actually pay for those things?

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have absolutely no problem with this...........
_45688057_007204377-1.jpg

as long as someone else is paying for it......:p :p

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
The cut of the 2009 suit is quite classic and timeless. which will allow the new owner to wear it for years, a good thing, even though cost per wearing is still quite high.
The majority of the costs is surely in the materials. the blend of the fabrics, and the added hours that the tailors will be taking with such a project....and diamond buttons ratchet the price up quite a bit too.

We did a Vicuna Sports coat for a client in 2006-2007, the wholesale fabric price for Loro Piana Vicuna was $2000/yd ($4000/yd retail) at the time, 2.75 yrds for the coat, and had to wait 6 months to get the fabric. LP only wove limited yardage of each pattern/color. You take extreme care and time when dealing with such fabrics. Cutting it is the hardest thing to do.

As for the 2007 suit, that actually wasn't pictured. The picture with the article was of who the type of prospective buyer could possible be. It was a picture from an awards presentation, I believe.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
I forgot one other thing, well two I guess. Exclusivity and Ego.

Anything that can be billed as so exclusive has a following, whether it is earned or not. Many objects and items in today's society are over-hyped and quite over-priced, and yet have a following. People who think that it is "the Best" simply because it is priced outlandishly. Sales people love customers like that.

They buyer of such a lavish and published suit is looking to have his ego stroked. So people will Ooh and Aah over him and what he spends, and isn't he special and all of that garbage.

When we did the above mentioned Vicuna coat, it was for the wearer, it was actually a gift from his wife. She told me that they had accomplished everything in their lives, were successful and now retired, and that he liked to dress well, and she liked to see him dressed well, as well. No one would ever guess that the coat cost as much as it did, and he didn't go about with the price tag on his sleeve. He was pleased, wore it well, and enjoys the garment.

People who need to constantly show their wealth just end up being rather tacky, in my estimation.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Most of modern art is priced more than their worth. If given a choice between a well painted figure and an unmade bed, I know which one I'll choose. People have forgotten what beauty is and now choose the ugly.

filfoster

One Too Many
Glad Rags

Is anyone else reminded of 'The Emperor's New Clothes'? Whoever bought it isn't nekkid, but is deluding himself that he's wearing something worth what he paid.

By the way, I am all in favor of conspicuous consumption: it separates cash from those who have it and don't care about spending it and gets it into circulation. "That's a good thing."

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
LordBest said:

Couldn't agree more. Diamond buttons and all that palaver, it's all a bit gauche.

And to think of how many beautiful bespoke suits one could buy on Savile Row for the same money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points