Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Yoga Pants trend

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I don't fly often, thank goodness. Last June I had to go through JFK security and it wasn't horrible. More of an inconvenience than anything else. I think I was most upset at losing a socket wrench handle that I forgot was buried at the bottom of the bag I was using as a carry-on.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
Boarding call at your local airport, 2015

chains.jpg

If they're going to treat you like a felon, you might as well dress like one.

Seriously! I appreciate the safety issue, but my zippers (on my yoga pants!) set off the full body scan machine and after the full pat down she tested her gloves for chemicals. I've never been patted down in my life, and now it's standard procedure.

Edward

Bartender
I always opt for the pat-down in the US now instead of the X Ray. You're lucky you have that option built into law over there. In the UK, if the airport want to violate your privacy to the extent of doing an X-Ray, you have no choice - anyone who refuses doesn't fly. Fortunately to date only one airport has them as standard, and it's easily avoided.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I always opt for the pat-down in the US now instead of the X Ray. You're lucky you have that option built into law over there. In the UK, if the airport want to violate your privacy to the extent of doing an X-Ray, you have no choice - anyone who refuses doesn't fly. Fortunately to date only one airport has them as standard, and it's easily avoided.

Which UK airport has the scanner? Just curious.

On my last deployment, I went through Heathrow four times (to meet the ship, come home on leave, meet her again, home again). It wasn't that bad, construction in one terminal (four???) caused the only delays. I did hear one inspector be a little rude to a traveller, asked the gent "do you have any liquids in your bag?", response, "no", reply "then what's this then?" holding up a can of Coke found at the bottom of the carry-on bag.

If I had been interested in being detained, I'd have pointed out the employee simply could have removed the can and said "sorry sir, you can't bring this on".

This was November 2007, during the big liquids blitz.

Oh ya, yoga pants outside a yoga class are silly and shouldn't be worn. As the OP states, there's casual and then there's too casual.

Edward

Bartender
Manchester, if memory serves.

UK Aiport staff aren't too bad, no. The worst I've seen without exception have all been in the US, in particular at JFK. Immigration at JFK are the very living evidence of 'give a man a badge and a uniform and he turns into a petty fascist'.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up

UK Aiport staff aren't too bad, no. The worst I've seen without exception have all been in the US, in particular at JFK. Immigration at JFK are the very living evidence of 'give a man a badge and a uniform and he turns into a petty fascist'.

They don't even need the stinkin' badges....

Feraud

Bartender
I've conducted a very informal study of female streetwear and have seen at most one or two ladies wearing yoga pants. It's gruelling work but I'll solider on if need be.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've conducted a very informal study of female streetwear and have seen at most one or two ladies wearing yoga pants. It's gruelling work but I'll solider on if need be.

lol

After bringing this thread up to the honey, we tooled around a few Minneapolis streets with our eyes peeled. Thus, I learned there is a difference between "tights" and "yoga pants", although I couldn't say with certainty that the difference is profound. Apparently, quite a few Minneapolis girls are comfortable with the level of exposure they're getting. [huh]

Feraud

Bartender
I don't fly often, thank goodness. Last June I had to go through JFK security and it wasn't horrible. More of an inconvenience than anything else. I think I was most upset at losing a socket wrench handle that I forgot was buried at the bottom of the bag I was using as a carry-on.
A friend came back from his honeymoon through JFK. Security gave him a thorough search and the poor young man was pasty and practically shaking as he told us about his experience.

Oh yes.... I'm sure it's really putting you out Feraud :p

lol
Yes but I'll carry on for you guys and gals!

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab

The two consistantly worse ports of entry I've experienced are the Newark airport (far worse than JFK if that's possible...) and a distant second the UK side/personnel for the Eurostar/Chunnel.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
For me, the only thing I really dislike about flying is the security. I like to fly, and wouldn't mind a job where I flew more. I find the seats comfortable, the crews tend to be nice, and most of the airports aren't too bad. The excitement hasn't worn off for me and I don't think it ever will. But security makes it pure evil. And I really want to know what good the scanners are going to do if they can't see into a pocket.
I cant see the connection between this and the original post but here's my contribution.:-
The worst thing about flying is sitting next to someone with WBS, thats Wailing Baby Syndrom.

As for Yoga pants, are they a girls version of that awful male look where the guy has shat in his pants?
John

Edward

Bartender
I cant see the connection between this and the original post but here's my contribution.:-
The worst thing about flying is sitting next to someone with WBS, thats Wailing Baby Syndrom.

I hear you. Last November I got a 5am flight out of Romania, on which there were two women who had brought screaming babies which screamed the whole four hours in the air. While one doesn't want to be entirely unsympathetic, it does seem to be that many parents are either unable to quieten their offspring or don't feel the need. I'd willingly pay extra for guaranteed child free flights, to be honest.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I hear you. Last November I got a 5am flight out of Romania, on which there were two women who had brought screaming babies which screamed the whole four hours in the air. While one doesn't want to be entirely unsympathetic, it does seem to be that many parents are either unable to quieten their offspring or don't feel the need. I'd willingly pay extra for guaranteed child free flights, to be honest.

As the parent of two children, and knowing you have none and want none, I'd love to hear your expert opinion on exactly how one "quietens" a wailing child.

In the confined space of an aircraft after having gone through the airport experience that, according to this thread, exasperates even the most even tempered of adults.

Please, enlighten us uneducated, uncaring, lazy parents who have the audacity to want to travel like the childless.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Hi, I have a child but he is now 23, and yes I did find it embarrassing when I could not keep him quiet in this sort of situation.
I just posted that as my contribution to a thread with no relation to the original post. And Yes Wailing Baby Syndrom is almost as bad as travelling next to an adult with a walkman , MP3 or any kind of personal entertainment device, that also includes the tap tap tap of a laptop or people who insist on the text notification tone as they are constantly 'chatting' on the abomination that is Facebook.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Hi, I have a child but he is now 23, and yes I did find it embarrassing when I could not keep him quiet in this sort of situation.
I just posted that as my contribution to a thread with no relation to the original post. And Yes Wailing Baby Syndrom is almost as bad as travelling next to an adult with a walkman , MP3 or any kind of personal entertainment device, that also includes the tap tap tap of a laptop or people who insist on the text notification tone as they are constantly 'chatting' on the abomination that is Facebook.

Children cry, why would you be embarassed? Do I LIKE IT when my children cry? No, not on a plane, not in my living room. But CHILDREN SOMETIMES CRY. People need to learn to suck it up.

So the next time you're sitting beside a "wailing child", think perhaps its ears are hurting from the pressure. Try teaching a two year old the Valsalva manoeuvre sometime. Or perhaps, just perhaps, the child is cranky because it's just as cramped and pissed off at being stuck in steerage class as you are.

Only without the social skills or emotional maturity to deal with it like most adults have.

I say most adults, of course, because "air rage" and the new "bin rage" are terms of art developed to deal with unruly - adults.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112