Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Yoga Pants trend

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I counter that someone's clothing says nothing more about them than what they like to wear. It says about as much about a person as does their choice of furniture or curtains: Diddly squat.

you don't think that taste / aesthetics say anything about a person (i disagree btw)... would you also say that art, music and literature choices don't say anything about a person either ?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't think it's bad taste if people love hunting and decide to have a hunting-themed wedding. I can see a vegetarian being offended, though.

I think if a couple is that into hunting, then I would assume that any of their vegetarian friends would know that the couple is into hunting long before the wedding. :) There should have been warning signs along the way, like venison and quail being served for dinner, a plethora of guns, and possibly mounted heads.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I think if a couple is that into hunting, then I would assume that any of their vegetarian friends would know that the couple is into hunting long before the wedding. :) There should have been warning signs along the way, like venison and quail being served for dinner, a plethora of guns, and possibly mounted heads.

Of course! :)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This problem is going to get worse and not improve. I don't want to get into the politics but I read recently that either the U.S. President or one of the presidential candidates did not want to wear a tuxedo because he believed it may alienate voters because he would appear elitist. Great. Does this mean that I will have to dress down so I don't hurt anyone's feelings. I hope not.

Politics is totally different than daily life. And political elections are all about image and little else. Last time I looked, the politicians weren't setting the style barometer.

you don't think that taste / aesthetics say anything about a person (i disagree btw)... would you also say that art, music and literature choices don't say anything about a person either ?

I would say that one's clothing does not truly say anything about the quality of the person. It does not state whether that person is good or bad, kind or unkind, intelligent or unintelligent, or any of the qualities that define the character of a person. Sadly, there are plenty of wonderful people whose sense of fashion is lacking.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On the subject of camo... :doh:

camo_tux.jpg

So, when she runs off in the woods, how will he find her???? In the interests of getting this out, but not being too rude, I wonder what she's wearing for perfume?

I really like the Mossy oak (right?) camouflage / blaze orange contrasting suits though, that just says class.

Feraud

Bartender
I think we want our fashion to mean a lot more than it really does. It's an attempt at creating order in the disorder in the world and finding a commonality with our fellow man. While birds of a feather do flock together, and judgment calls are a necessary way of navigating life, I hesitate to put as much emphasis on this outer shell as many seem to do. One should at least where a necessary line of judgment is and hesitates to apply it to random co-workers, fellow students or people we walk by on the street and will never interact with.
It is too easy to walk into Brooks Brothers wearing flip-flops and cargo shorts and walk out in a tailored suit. Isn't that simply buying instant respectability?
I've known a few white collar office guys walk into a Harley Davidson dealership and buy a bike with all the associated "biker" accouterments. Instant badass.. go figure.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the link below is a photographic project where a photographer and 'profiler' documented many dressed-alike people (who didn't know each other) and put them into groups such as 'tecknohippies' or 'ecopunks'. the point is that many people want to categorize themselves; to display which group they belong to. im not suggesting that the depths of someone's soul can be read via clothing. but that many people actively give tons of information about themselves away.

http://www.exactitudes.com/

Flicka

One Too Many
I don't think it's bad taste if people love hunting and decide to have a hunting-themed wedding. I can see a vegetarian being offended, though.

This is where we differ. I'm not offended, but I absolutely think that is a complete and utter eyesore.

Do I care whether it's "appropriate"? No. Do I think they're bad people? No. Do I think I know anything about their personal moral because they choose wear that? No. But I can tell they have crap taste. Had they not made an effort, they might have had an excuse, but to consciously and willfully wear that? That's premeditated fashion murder. Dolus, not culpa.

My brother-in-law owns a company that is doing extremely well. He's diligent, sharp as a knife and has a cut-throat business sense - and he looks like he's homeless. He's a swell guy and I love him to bits, but his taste in clothes is abysmal. People who meet him and assume he's a loser because he wears old washed out tees, well, they're wrong. But people who meet him and think he dresses like crap? They're 100% right.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
This is where we differ. I'm not offended, but I absolutely think that is a complete and utter eyesore.

Do I care whether it's "appropriate"? No. Do I think they're bad people? No. Do I think I know anything about their personal moral because they choose wear that? No. But I can tell they have crap taste. Had they not made an effort, they might have had an excuse, but to consciously and willfully wear that? That's premeditated fashion murder. Dolus, not culpa.

My brother-in-law owns a company that is doing extremely well. He's diligent, sharp as a knife and has a cut-throat business sense - and he looks like he's homeless. He's a swell guy and I love him to bits, but his taste in clothes is abysmal. People who meet him and assume he's a loser because he wears old washed out tees, well, they're wrong. But people who meet him and think he dresses like crap? They're 100% right.

I never said I think their clothing choice is in good taste or even my taste. I said I don't think it's in bad taste to have a hunting themed wedding if one is a hunter and in that context to wear those camouflage get-ups. I think they look ridiculous, but it's not my wedding. That's very different from someone in tight yoga pants standing in front of me in line at the store or showing up to my wedding that way.

Last edited:

Undertow

...It is too easy to walk into Brooks Brothers wearing flip-flops and cargo shorts and walk out in a tailored suit. Isn't that simply buying instant respectability? ... I've known a few white collar office guys walk into a Harley Davidson dealership and buy a bike with all the associated "biker" accouterments. Instant badass.. go figure.

I am with you most of the way on this, but my only divergence is that in some instances I think one SHOULD walk into Brooks Bros. and purchase the suit; not for instant respectability, but for instant homogeny. It's one thing if a guy can't afford the suit (or can't justify its purchase), it's another when he doesn't care, or when he's just using it as an excuse to be someone he isn't.

I think funerals and weddings are at least two examples of situations where one should try to be as understated and homogeneous as possible, while adhereing to tradition. I believe there were far more examples in the past where one would need to fit in with a precise dress code, but today's society has fewer. Thus, one should consider wearing subdued colors and nice clothes to a funeral and uniform clothes (semi-formal being a suit, at the least) to a wedding.

I guess one could compare this discussion to a relationship (for sake of example - so please don't jump on this and accuse me of comparing apples to oranges). Human desires and needs are constantly changing, but to have a successful relationship, we must make certain concessions. We can't jump on a carnal desire and commit adultery simply because others do it, or because it pleases us, or because it's easier that way. And when others are adulterous, we can't be blamed for frowning on them.

In similar fashion, it may not please us to own a single black/navy suit, and it may not please us to wear that suit to funerals and weddings, but by golly it shows we at least care, and that we're trying to pay our respect in an acceptable form backed by decades of tradition.

Certainly, traditions may change but it's better to play conservative meanwhile. (Which means, yes, someday camo-tux will be a distinguished and conservative alternative to the Crocs and sweatpants tux of the 2050's; meanwhile looking back and guffawing at how stuffy we look today)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think funerals and weddings are at least two examples of situations where one should try to be as understated and homogeneous as possible, while adhereing to tradition. I believe there were far more examples in the past where one would need to fit in with a precise dress code, but today's society has fewer. Thus, one should consider wearing subdued colors and nice clothes to a funeral and uniform clothes (semi-formal being a suit, at the least) to a wedding.

If a good friend of your's requested that when s/he died, that mourners not wear black or dark colors, but instead celebrate his/her life by wearing brightly colored outfits would you comply? If the person who died had asked to outfitted in camouflage in the casket, would you not follow their wishes?

Homogeneity has reaped billions for the wedding racket. Ever notice how all the bridal gowns look almost the same? The cheap rental tuxes look the same too? Most of the people here, if they had any aspect of vintage in their wedding, had a non-homogeneous wedding.

1961MJS

That's quite an assumption. I know for a fact that many women won't look at themselves in a 3 way mirror, or only in subdued lighting... :eek:

Actually it bothers me that ONE person looked in the mirror etc. That wasn't meant to be a generalization even though I'd bet that a third don't look, a third did look and don't care, and a third looked and liked it. It's the last group I'm worried about...

Later

Undertow

If a good friend of your's requested that when s/he died, that mourners not wear black or dark colors, but instead celebrate his/her life by wearing brightly colored outfits would you comply? If the person who died had asked to outfitted in camouflage in the casket, would you not follow their wishes?

Homogeneity has reaped billions for the wedding racket. Ever notice how all the bridal gowns look almost the same? The cheap rental tuxes look the same too? Most of the people here, if they had any aspect of vintage in their wedding, had a non-homogeneous wedding.

First point, yes, if my friend/family wished the funeral were held at a tropical resort hotel and that everyone where banana hats, and that we shoot his/her ashes out of a cannon into a truck full of jell-o, I would be happy to observe said wishes. But if no such wishes existed, I would use my best judgement to determine if wearing a decent suit were a little more appropriate.

Second point, I already regret using the word homogenous because it invokes images of a monolithic state-ordered dress code where no one should stray from a strict path. However, I would argue that homogeneity is, in fact, the very solution to slay the evil wedding racket - at least from the man's side of the issue.

Men's formal attire is specificaly homogenous and is literally supposed to be the same with few exceptions. In fact, it's probably the most simple outfit any man could wear. It is the great equalizer of men. Unfinished worsted wool, a braid along the trouser seam, no cuffs, a vest or cummerbund, white pleated shirt or hard pique cotton, one button jacket with silk satin or grosgrain lapels, black cufflinks and studs, high-collar shirt and bowtie, patent pumps or oxfords. That's it. There is very, very little room for alternatives. The groom could, in theory, distinguish himself with a white carnation, etc. etc., but otherwise, it's all the same.

The wedding industry has bastardized the tuxedo and created an insane catalog of loathsome "alternatives" in which any young gentleman can hardly be blamed for choosing something terrible. If men stuck to the simple uniform that is formal and semi-formal dress, they could not err.

Flicka

One Too Many
I never said I think their clothing choice is in good taste or even my taste. I said I don't think it's in bad taste to have a hunting themed wedding if one is a hunter and in that context to wear those camouflage get-ups. I think they look ridiculous, but it's not my wedding. That's very different from someone in tight yoga pants standing in front of me in line at the store or showing up to my wedding that way.

It may be appropriate, but it's still bad taste.

To wear yoga pants at the store, I would also label as bad taste, but to wear them to someone's wedding (unless they required it) is also bad manners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot