Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thedi Leathers experience with horsehide and goat skin?

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Dear TFL-members,

I'm about to order one or two leather jackets from Thedi (horsehide and goat skin).

Concerning horsehide, I prefer a very soft, pliable mid-weight to heavy (about 2.5-3oz) brown leather like the one pictured in following link. I already have experience with Aero CXL FQHH, Aero Vicenza, Lost Worlds heavy HH, Eastman A2 horsehide, RMC A1 dark seal Shinki HH, Toys Mccoy Deadwood black Shinki HH and last but not least Bill Kelso Victory dark seal HH. My personal ranking is: 1. Bill Kelso Vicory dark seal HH (second to none as the HH is so soft/pliable, no break-in required and still very heavy and substantial), 2. RMC A1 dark seal Shinki (not as soft and pliable as BK Victory but still substantial), 3. Eastman A2 horsehide (very soft and pliable but not so substantial as BK Victory).

Since the reputation of Bill Kelso company is not so good, I'm searching for a horsehide which has the same/very similar properties, i.e. very soft and pliable (not much break-in required) and still substantial medium heavy (about 2.5-3oz). These HH characteristics offers BK's Victory HH based on my personal experience so far. But I'm hoping that Thedi (I already own one in tan buffalo and I love it!) can offer a very similar one. Can you share your experience please or do you have another recommendation?
Here is the Thedi brown HH I'm talking about:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vfkd6vkW_S8/WfB-B2qLciI/AAAAAAAADsM
/LhLQ3vA1GfwpYmxSVGnEHtSGFe2vsgBfgCLcBGAs/s1600/27%2Bcopy.jpg

How's your experience with Thedi's goat skin jackets? I've found following Facebook posts and really love the used vintage look. From my experience with a AL goatskin jacket the goatskin is not so soft/pliable. Perhaps Thedi's makes it more soft and pliable (perhaps similar to their buffalo leathers) than other makers?

https://www.facebook.com/Thedileathers/photos/a.916142211805094/916142331805082/?type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/Thedileathers/photos/a.916142211805094/916142251805090/?type=3&theater

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your recommendations!

Kind regards,
Robbie

apba1166

A-List Customer
As far as goat goes, I don't know thedi, but I have goat from aero, lost worlds, simmons, and Johnson and whatever Johnson is using I like best for drape, feel, texture, weight (lighter but still substantial) and so on.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Since the reputation of Bill Kelso company is not so good, I'm searching for a horsehide which has the same/very similar properties, i.e. very soft and pliable (not much break-in required) and still substantial medium heavy (about 2.5-3oz).

Many people seem to have issues with the negative PR that has been used by BK in the past, but I don't recall hearing anything bad about their jackets/hides.

Wdawg

One of the Regulars
I have a Thedi CR in black horsehide.

It's definitely on the lighter side of the weight distribution. Far exceeding an average fashion jacket but nowhere near as substantial as CXLFQHH. It's also a lot more matte than many HH finishes to begin with.

Dont get me wrong though, its a great choice and looks better and better every time I wear it. If you're going with a brown Thedi, I would consider getting something in the cafe or tan buffalo. A FL member posted a picture of one recently that almost had me drooling. Ridiculously nice.

Attachments

• Thedi#MTC-127915-tanbuffalo.jpg
    Thedi#MTC-127915-tanbuffalo.jpg
    652 KB · Views: 3,323
Thedi's horsehide is softer than the ones you listed. Probably not as thick as Victory either. It is really nice, but I don't think it will wrinkle as much as the stiffer ones- if that's what you are after. I would ask Theodoros for samples...and definitely get a sample of the buffalo- beautiful stuff!

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Hi all, Thank you for your valuable feedback and your recommendations! As far as Thedi HH is concerned I get the feeling that this is NOT the right leather type for me as my 100% favorite HH is BK's (sadly!) and none of the other makes I know (which I mentioned in my initial posting) come even close to it (this is my personal feeling and opinion!). And yes, I know already the tan buffalo handymike and Wdawg mentioned since I got the same jacket from Thedi Wdawg mentioned and I share your opinion - this is a beautiful hide and besides the BK Victory HH my second favorite hide - the Victory HH is still my favorite one and I'm ambivalant if I should order a new BK Victory HH jacket - I was hoping that another maker with a better reputation offers it, too or if there is a HH which is very similar. Decision will be quite difficult though. Thanks again!!

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Thedi's goat is 3,5 oz vegtanned, soft and absolutely brilliant. At least my goatskin Thedi is.
Thank you for your feedback! It sounds like a heavy hide (this is not a problem) and heavier than Aero's CXLFQHH! Maybe it's worth a try, because I want to order two jackets - originally I planned one horsehide (originally Thedi but now I think I won't) and one additional Thedi tan buffalo cos I love the leather, but after your positive feedback I'm reconsidering my decision to try Thedi's goat with additional washing/vintage treatment by Thedi....I only knew AL/SB's black goat and this is not my personal taste.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thedi leathers have quite a bit of variety in their hides and keep looking for new options. It wouldn't hurt to contact them and explain what you are looking for.

Jejupe

Practically Family
Thank you for your feedback! It sounds like a heavy hide (this is not a problem) and heavier than Aero's CXLFQHH! Maybe it's worth a try, because I want to order two jackets - originally I planned one horsehide (originally Thedi but now I think I won't) and one additional Thedi tan buffalo cos I love the leather, but after your positive feedback I'm reconsidering my decision to try Thedi's goat with additional washing/vintage treatment by Thedi....I only knew AL/SB's black goat and this is not my personal taste.

f331df8ca92ad396735463abde789d27.jpg
4134eddbfe115d37313fc63cce04603f.jpg

3c4088b736c9953158257b6cc6316089.jpg

Here’s few pics of my goat Thedi. Maybe these help to get an idea how it looks.

Jejupe

Practically Family
Getting samples is always a good idea to figure out which you like the best. However its always a bit difficult to judge by little piece of leather how it would look as a finished jacket. Especially so with Thedis, as Theodoros distresses the leather in many different ways. The leather used in jacket will look much different (better, IMHO) than the swatch.

Colin G

One Too Many
Getting samples is always a good idea to figure out which you like the best. However its always a bit difficult to judge by little piece of leather how it would look as a finished jacket. Especially so with Thedis, as Theodoros distresses the leather in many different ways. The leather used in jacket will look much different (better, IMHO) than the swatch.

I am waiting on samples in cow hide. I want thick but un weathered leather. I am kind of doing the opposite of some here going thick and un weathered.

I am following your lead and ordering two jackets.

Jejupe the enabler.

dannyk

One Too Many
It’s funny to me where Thedi lands on the jacket spectrum. I could just as easily recommend a Thedi to someone new to jackets who may be afraid of going full biker, since they have such interesting and modern approaches to the clsssics; and to someone who’s been through everything and bored with the usual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points