Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Theory for large quantity of 30's-50's tuxedos on the Bay?

MondoFW

Practically Family
Throughout my time of browsing suits from this time range, I've noticed prevalence of tuxedos specifically. Does anyone have a theory as to why these overpower, say, lounge or business suits being sold? I would think fewer people would be eager to sell their tuxes.

Nobert

Practically Family
A tuxedo or white tie ensemble are things you wear on special occasions, and only for a few hours at a time. A normal suit would usually be something worn daily, for days on end (depending on one's occupation and social status). Regular clothes wear out faster and are treated more casually than your typical bib and tucker.

Well, your guess is as good as mine, but my theory is that, like a "special occasion" hat, tuxes were and are still taken good care of. We've all seen pristine examples of those "special" lids that grandpa(s) kept in the original box in the back of the closet for safe keeping until those occasions beckoned. I think that tuxes receive the same treatment. I mean, I still have five tuxedos, the oldest being the one my father wore during his indoctrination into the Masons, circa 1945. He took exceptional care to store it properly, etc. That's now my job, and I intend to carry on the tradition in case my son (or more likely grandson) needs a tux...

That's my story, and of course I'm sticking to it!

MondoFW

Practically Family
A tuxedo or white tie ensemble are things you wear on special occasions, and only for a few hours at a time. A normal suit would usually be something worn daily, for days on end (depending on one's occupation and social status). Regular clothes wear out faster and are treated more casually than your typical bib and tucker.
Makes sense to me. Perhaps, it's a good thing so many are floating around now. They're rad, even if rarely used in a lifetime.
Well, your guess is as good as mine, but my theory is that, like a "special occasion" hat, tuxes were and are still taken good care of. We've all seen pristine examples of those "special" lids that grandpa(s) kept in the original box in the back of the closet for safe keeping until those occasions beckoned. I think that tuxes receive the same treatment. I mean, I still have five tuxedos, the oldest being the one my father wore during his indoctrination into the Masons, circa 1945. He took exceptional care to store it properly, etc. That's now my job, and I intend to carry on the tradition in case my son (or more likely grandson) needs a tux...

That's my story, and of course I'm sticking to it!
Lovely story, glad you're sticking to your origins and protecting family history. I intend to preserve my grandfather's Saville Row duds to cherish and pass down.

Makes sense to me. Perhaps, it's a good thing so many are floating around now. They're rad, even if rarely used in a lifetime.

Lovely story, glad you're sticking to your origins and protecting family history. I intend to preserve my grandfather's Saville Row duds to cherish and pass down.
I wore that very tux to a wedding last month.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many

Bingo. This also applies to daytime formal wear like morning suits and strollers, which are over represented on eBay as well. Even when formal wear was more universal, it was still not worn daily by the vast majority of society.

Friends who sell vintage clothes professionally have told me it is quite common to buy a man's entire wardrobe at an estate sale and find normal wear on all garments, but the tuxedo will look brand new. Also, more than any other month, dated tuxedos are disproportionately made in January. This is because lots of men only wear black tie once a year, for New Year's Eve, and have the unpleasant experience of finding their waistband shrunk on December 31... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch