Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

These Ain't Photographs!

CharlieH.

One Too Many
While going up and down at the ole Wikipedia, I stumbled upon this rather interesting place:

http://www.meiselgallery.com/LKMG/flashIndex.html

I had seen a few photorealist paintings before, but when I took a peek at the artists department at this site I was floored. The sheer virtuosity displayed in these paintings is enough to make anyone cry:

bell04sm.jpg

bell09sm.jpg

meniel01.jpg

gniewek05sm.jpg

So there. Be warned - there's some artistic nudity on the gallery

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I'd like the artists to paint a painting of the outside or the ocean on a wall. That would blow someone away if they thought that was what was there.

Naama

Practically Family
You know, don't want to say that this work isn't great because it is, from a technical point of view, but I don't know what motivates someone to does this? [huh]

Naama

pablocham

One of the Regulars
I think it started in the late sixties/early seventies when abstract art had begun to grow stale and photography was beginning to be accepted as a serious art form. Artists worried that photography had supplanted the oil painting in figurative art could show that painting was still capable of doing everything that photography could (except, of course, much more slowly).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points