Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking of buying my first schott, what do you guys think of it?

newtojackets

Practically Family
Found this used schott for sale and am thinking of purchasing it to add to my aero board racer.

What do you guys think of it?

Does the leather seem to lack grain? 108691D7-0BFF-4594-AD1C-2115676EDE6A.jpeg 9E776911-658C-4A03-8700-E8AE2B31AF2A.jpeg 218BD79E-4375-4070-B9AC-29C4E9C90406.jpeg

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Depending on the price.
Grains may pop out after wear. Some of Schott's offer has a plasticky coating and it would look very different after the coating wears out.

newtojackets

Practically Family
I love it a lot too, my only reservations are 1. Lack of grain indicating cheapish leather 2. At the price, I can get used Aeros (which consensus seems to be are of better quality)

Blackadder

Can get my hands of it for about $500
IMO 500 is fair deal for a collaboration. I bought a pair of Stussy x Nike AF 1 that costs more than normal AF1 a few months ago. If you like it, it is not a bad deal. If you are not really into the collaboration style, you can find lots of vintage Schott at better price.

newtojackets

Practically Family
IMO 500 is fair deal for a collaboration. I bought a pair of Stussy x Nike AF 1 that costs more than normal AF1 a few months ago. If you like it, it is not a bad deal. If you are not really into the collaboration style, you can find lots of vintage Schott at better price.
I do like the design more than regular schotts (not a huge fan of the belts and epaulets), and do like the look of the jacket. Just thinking I may be better served buying a used aero instead?

Btw do you know if the quality of schott collabs is better than the regular ones as I often see they are more expensive (or are you paying for the collab)

Blackadder

I do like the design more than regular schotts (not a huge fan of the belts and epaulets), and do like the look of the jacket. Just thinking I may be better served buying a used aero instead?

Btw do you know if the quality of schott collabs is better than the regular ones as I often see they are more expensive (or are you paying for the collab)
Depends on the collab. I think some of the brands picked special leather for their collab but by the look of it, this Stussy collab is using normal Schott leather. The cost of that lining though would definitely be more than the normal black lining.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's a really cool lining. Used Aero's will give you fancier leather (Horween). But Schott will be more comfortable to wear. I think the lining tipped the scale on this one. My vote goes to the cool lining. Everytime I see it reminds me of happy vacation times...

I love it a lot too, my only reservations are 1. Lack of grain indicating cheapish leather 2. At the price, I can get used Aeros (which consensus seems to be are of better quality)

Both points dead on wrong.

1. Lack of grain means smoother leather was used. Imprinted grain will sooner indicate lower quality than the lack of it.

2. No, it's not. Aero is of comparable price & quality.

newtojackets

Practically Family
Both points dead on wrong.

1. Lack of grain means smoother leather was used. Imprinted grain will sooner indicate lower quality than the lack of it.

2. No, it's not. Aero is of comparable price & quality.
Oh really? I thought

1. Cheaper leather is more corrected which removes textures and the grain

2. When reading this forum their are numerous people who say Schott is a tier below aero e.g. https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...ycle-leather-jacket-aero,vanson,schott.98853/

Oh really? I thought

2. When reading this forum their are numerous people who say Schott is a tier below aero e.g. https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...ycle-leather-jacket-aero,vanson,schott.98853/

1. No. Grain can just as easily be embossed as it can be flattened and in itself, it isn't any kind of indication of quality.
Cheaply tanned, full-grain, uncorrected leather can be just as heavily grained as highest quality vegetable tanned hide. Tanning alone can make grain almost disappear, without the involvement of sanding or any such invasive alteration. Schott uses heavy hides that start out appearing flat & smooth but can and will change with wear, sometimes drastically. Visible follicles are much better indication of the quality of leather than grain, for instance.

2. Numerous people never had much a clue to begin with. This forum used to be heavily anti-Schott some time ago but this just proved to be ignorance as people's opinion on both brands shifted considerably during the past couple of years.
Anyone who has had a chance to handle a Schott and an Aero jacket side by side can tell you that they're both very good jackets, with Schott having a considerable edge when it comes to pattern while Aero does work with a better looking leather.

While I really like Aero, having had numerous jackets by both makers, Schott objectively makes a better motorcycle jacket and that's all there is to it.

newtojackets

Practically Family
1. No. Grain can just as easily be embossed as it can be flattened and in itself, it isn't any kind of indication of quality.
Cheaply tanned, full-grain, uncorrected leather can be just as heavily grained as highest quality vegetable tanned hide. Tanning alone can make grain almost disappear, without the involvement of sanding or any such invasive alteration. Schott uses heavy hides that start out appearing flat & smooth but can and will change with wear, sometimes drastically. Visible follicles are much better indication of the quality of leather than grain, for instance.

2. Numerous people never had much a clue to begin with. This forum used to be heavily anti-Schott some time ago but this just proved to be ignorance as people's opinion on both brands shifted considerably during the past couple of years.
Anyone who has had a chance to handle a Schott and an Aero jacket side by side can tell you that they're both very good jackets, with Schott having a considerable edge when it comes to pattern while Aero does work with a better looking leather.

While I really like Aero, having had numerous jackets by both makers, Schott objectively makes a better motorcycle jacket and that's all there is to it.
Really insightful, I didn’t realise this forum had shifted its perspective on Schott

Pandemic

One Too Many
Oh really? I thought

A custom Aero is usually rated higher than an off-the-rack Schott because the fit is, or should be, better being custom made. It will also have the leather and options that the buyer really wanted.

All of this is negated if you are buying used.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Grain or no grain is a question of personal preference. Certainly not a sign of "quality" as in durability.

I have a Vanson Chopper in Competition weight and countless people here would tell you it´s a quality garment. It is, but the leather just looks and handles like a thick piece of vinyl after many years of use and abuse.

If you like the jacket, go for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21