Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This "sucks"... the Hoover And Other Vintage Vacuum Cleaners

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
425BROCHURE_0004.jpg
[/IMG]

As early as 1934 the bag was held shut with a removable metal slider and spring which
replaced the "spreader top" design with the retractable canvas strap.

p71towny

Familiar Face
Filter Queen!

I've got 2 filter queens. One is I'm guessing around 50yrs old while the other 20?? They both have crazy amounts of suction, however they aren't as convenient as an upright. Also, they need to be emptied all the time because they do trap so much dirt/dust. I would like a new Kirby so I can shampoo.

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
425BROCHURE_0011.jpg
[/IMG]

There were other fine quality vacuums manufactured during this time period as well as the Hoover
which really was the premier cleaner of the time. I hope this info is not too monotonous for all.

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
The Filter Queen.

About the Filter Queen, I don't know much about them other that they are
a great canister cleaner. Collectors are wild about them. I think the uprights are great for carpets and sometimes bare floors, but the canister vac with good suction does so much more. The canisters do tend to need emptying frequently. My upright Hoover bags are right now loaded with dust. I'm too lazy to attempt to dump and turn them inside-out and brush them clean.

A new Kirby would be a good investment and an expensive one.
There are many vintage Kirbys on eBay with attachments that shampoo and polish that are in perfect condition and are not too costly.

BD

p71towny

Familiar Face
Yeah, there's a 2009 kirby in the local paper for $400 I've thought about getting. It would be nice to have an upright and canisters. I actually had a filter queen salesman come to our house. When he wanted to see what vacuum I used he was disappointed because he knew you buy em once for a lifetime lol. My grandparents still use their old Electrolux. Its been refurbished a couple times but the retractable cord can be a pain. The funniest thing I heard my grandpa say when he was trying to get the cord to pull back in was "It's like trying to shove a wet noodle up a wild cats a$$!" lol.

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
Take a look at this Kirby if you can. Don't purchase it if you can't run it and test it first. I know the Electrolux retractable cord can sometimes be annoying but they can be repaired. I have the Eureka "Boss" canister and it would suck the chrome off a fender! Wrapping the cord around the base is a pain but it's a good one so I put up with it. I'm always tripping over the hose. Drag it around and it's always banging into something or getting stuck around a corner. I've got to remember what your grandfather said! I can't stop laughing!! Good for him!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Wow Bobby, those are great posts! I'm really enjoying these pages you're posting with directions and such... the handle on the 425 is beautiful! So hard to find any Hoover post 1930 that has the original handle in good condition!

Keep'em coming! Love it!

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
http://

These photos are from a department store in Texas.
Great gimmick and eye catcher. I think they left the Electrolux in your photo to attract attention
to the display.

Last edited:

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, decided since my 575 was hanging out in the garage right now and not really doing anything special, I figured I'd grab the scissor type bag clip off of it and put it on my 700. I also acquired a really good original black bag with "The Hoover" printed in orange... So, put the two together and here's what I made...

Remember the original ad?

l_149cc9f11d48483984acdf9ddb8e4744.jpg

Here's mine ;)
76680_167263519961887_100000347208133_406274_5147229_n.jpg

What a transformation this little guy has gone through since the early stages of restoration. This machine looks just about as it looked in 1926... I erased years of wrong doing to this machine... once was refurbished by Hoover some time in the 40s, had brown crinkle painted handle fork, brown stripped cloth bag and brown painted bag clip with spring. A busted wheel and bad power cords. Now, you look at it and never would have imagined it was such a basket case!

All I can say is, it's worth it! And don't feel sorry for the 575... soon as I find another scissor bag clip, it's going to the 575. :D

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
That's the best restoration I've seen yet!
Somehow I still like the slide clasp and spring assembly on the bag.
Was never fond of the scissor type. Take a few more pics please.
I'm running out of pictures. Do you have the ones I sent a while back?
Send em' back and I'll post them.
BD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112