Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This "sucks"... the Hoover And Other Vintage Vacuum Cleaners

RetroToday

A-List Customer
It already looks amazing FM, no need to apologize about how clean it is. :eusa_clap

I also like that you've gone into the history of the features of this vacuum, I love to search that information out whenever I find a cool old item. Adds so much more to collecting.

*GranadaGuy617: Yep, good eye there - it's a small Pyrene, "class B-2.C-2?" from the '30s.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Oh, I totally agree! I like to see original ads for these appliances and learn what they were offering and what the companies did to entice consumers to buy something like an electric cleaner that was rather expensive to most American homes of that era!

I'm always amazed at how many things from that era are now collectable... just about anything from that time is now considered collectable... even house hold appliances. And the most enjoyment is to put them to work! They like attention and like to be used I've come to find out.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Have you seen this or this video of a Hoover 700 on Youtube? Kinda cool!

Forgotten Man said:
...I'm always amazed at how many things from that era are now collectable... just about anything from that time is now considered collectable... even house hold appliances....

FM, I feel like I should quote a movie character on the neat old typical household stuff here - Belloq or Noah Cross?

rene-belloq.jpg

Belloq: "Look at this. It's worthless - ten dollars from a vendor in the street. But I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless. Like the Ark."

Noah-cross.jpg

Noah Cross: "'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough."

;)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
THE SERVANT TO THE HOME

Today, I see a big box sitting on my porch, the dusting tools arived!!!

So, here's a photo of the tools with the cleaner. Mind you, the cleaner isn't nearly completely restored as of yet. I'm needing the correct black dust bag and the handle to be painted... don't know why there's a yellow stripe on the top of the handle but, who knows.

hoovermodel700andtools.jpg

serventtothehomelogo.jpg

serventtothehomelogobox.jpg

The set even came with a leaflett that has photos of how to use the tools and a lady with a totally 20s bob cut. I'll take photos of that soon and post them here.

I hope I find the correct dust bag and the scissor brace that holds the dust bag to the handle... those are pretty much the only two things I need for this machine... in the mean time, I'll enjoy it just as it is till those parts turn up on ebay or something.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Great!

Fits extremely well in that period living room of yours, I love that photo you took. :eusa_clap

Maybe this guy can help you find the missing bits and pieces you need?
http://www.vachunter.com/restoration.htm

I don't know if he sells off parts he uses for restoration, but it seems he'd know where to find what you need if he doesn't sell them.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
RetroToday said:
Great!

Fits extremely well in that period living room of yours, I love that photo you took. :eusa_clap

Maybe this guy can help you find the missing bits and pieces you need?
http://www.vachunter.com/restoration.htm

I don't know if he sells off parts he uses for restoration, but it seems he'd know where to find what you need if he doesn't sell them.

Thanks! I have visited that vachunter site before... I sent him an email about the same thing or about any vac he may have for sale. No reply... so, I may try again seeing he seems to have many parts... we'll see.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I never knew...

.... that I wanted a vintage vacuum. But I do!! So I have to ask those who have them - how well do they work, really, once they have been restored? And what sort of regular maintenence is required to keep them up and running, generally?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, I have another Hoover model 575 that was never restored, bought it in good shape, had a new cord already on it… the lady was asking $15 for it but, I didn’t have any cash on me at the time so, she said that if I don’t leave with the cleaner, she’d toss it in the dumpster! So, I took it home… hadn’t a dust bag but, a good friend of mine who collects them had one… I put it on and have been using it since. Never took it in for servicing.

The model 700 I pictured I restored because I wanted it to look real nice and also work well. I took the motor into a vacuum shop here in town and asked to have the cords replaced. The guy replaced the cord from the motor and re-built the motor. He said it needed it and he did it at no extra cost, I was lucky and he’s a nice guy. But, if you find one in good shape, or a restored one, these old Hoovers are quite the machines. They were used by many families from the day they were bought into the 1950s! In fact, some earlier Hoovers you may find will be painted a brown crinkle paint in areas and will have a brownish dust bag… like mine. This means that at one point in the 40s or 50s they sent the cleaner to Hoover and they refurbished it and then mailed it back and sent a bill.

The motors on Hoovers are known to be some of the best electric motors on vacuums ever! Cruise ebay the show up now and again ever so often and you’d be surprised how well these really do work. I only use Hoovers and I have to empty the dust bag every other use. It sucks up that much dust!

Hope that helps!

PS: The vintage vacuum collecting bug will "Suck" you in! lol

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This thread has really gotten me interested. Thanks, Forgotten Man!

Believe it or not, I was at a yard sale two weeks ago and there was a box with attachments like that. Box complete, some missing attachments, but it was only $2. And I had to pass as I was on my bicycle and had no time to get back there. :(

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
You know, I blame my buddy Anthony for my interest in old electric cleaners. He has almost 20 cleaners of different varieties from Hoover, Apex, Regina, Eureka and so on. He even has a late 20s Air Way cleaner which are very unique and rare.

AirWay_VC_1.JPG

His collection and his passion for these old cleaners had sparked an interest within me. I then wanted one for my own, I find a model 575 Hoover and I acquired it. My friend gives me a bag for it since it was missing and then I start using it.

I now enjoy vacuuming! When I do ordinary chores with old appliances, I seem to look forward to it since I get to use my fun old stuff. lol Whatever it takes to get it done right?

Scott, since you live in Ohio, you may find many Hoovers there since they had a plant there. Keep your eyes open and maybe you'll find one or a few!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Forgotten Man said:
You know, I blame my buddy Anthony for my interest in old electric cleaners. He has almost 20 cleaners of different varieties from Hoover, Apex, Regina, Eureka and so on. He even has a late 20s Air Way cleaner which are very unique and rare.....

That Airway vacuum you posted is just incredible, love the airplanes on that bag!

Well, this thread you created has definately 'sucked' my interest back to the Beatty Bros. vacuum cleaner I have. It made me visit a vacuum cleaner dealer / repair spot in the plaza where I work today. Thanks, FM.
I spoke with the man who does repairs in that store about my Beatty cleaner, I was amazed when he said that he knew how to fix the old clunkers! :)

Now, he also said parts will be nearly impossible to find today, but if mine's all complete on the inside (which it is) it shouldn't be a problem to make it electrically sound and work again.

The only trouble is, he goes on a weeks vacation starting next Monday. I'm anxious to get it fixed now, so that seems like ages!

Oh, I also found the Wellington County Archives online, they have a lot of the Beatty Bros. Company photos and records, some can be viewed online. They have some great publicity shots of people (mainly women) using my cleaner. So cool!

3660189112_373d596a2b.jpg

One of the archival images I found; more pics here

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
RetroToday said:
That Airway vacuum you posted is just incredible, love the airplanes on that bag!
Boy, ain't THAT the truth! Yow! Yowza!

RetroToday said:
Oh, I also found the Wellington County Archives online, they have a lot of the Beatty Bros. Company photos and records, some can be viewed online. They have some great publicity shots of people (mainly women) using my cleaner. So cool!
One of the archival images I found; more pics here
3660189112_373d596a2b.jpg
Well, Retro, I'm sure when you found THAT photo, they heard you the next block over....TWO of your addictions, all in one! Great stuff....

"Skeet"

RetroToday

A-List Customer
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Well, Retro, I'm sure when you found THAT photo, they heard you the next block over....TWO of your addictions, all in one! Great stuff.... "Skeet"[/QUOTE]

Yep, they could hear me far far away! I was very happy to see this. I want to visit that archive building soon and buy some good image scans of a few of the photos and brochures.

btw, there's actually three of my addictions in that photo. ;)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
RetroToday said:

Well, this thread you created has definately 'sucked' my interest back to the Beatty Bros. vacuum cleaner I have. It made me visit a vacuum cleaner dealer / repair spot in the plaza where I work today. Thanks, FM.
I spoke with the man who does repairs in that store about my Beatty cleaner, I was amazed when he said that he knew how to fix the old clunkers! :)

Now, he also said parts will be nearly impossible to find today, but if mine's all complete on the inside (which it is) it shouldn't be a problem to make it electrically sound and work again.

The only trouble is, he goes on a weeks vacation starting next Monday. I'm anxious to get it fixed now, so that seems like ages!

Oh, I feel your pain. When I dropped off the motor to have the cord replaced on my 700, he said there were many other cleaners ahead of me for repair and that it would take a week to get to it... well, he called me three days later and mentioned it was finished! I think he wanted to work on the old work horse!;) Some of these repair guys enjoy the older stuff since it's made well, it's different, it's special and it's easier!

The Airway is a very unique type of cleaner. Towards the head where you see the plastic bubble? Well, you can turn that and it will re-direct the suction of air and the cleaner becomes more useful then just a vacuum. My friend Anthony has the original booklet that came with the Airway... it shows a girl with her mother next to an oven and the handle facing an open door on the oven wile the mother is holding the hose attachment wile the machine is directing warm air from the oven, through the machine out the hose to dry the girls hair! I'll have to see if I could snag some photos of the booklet some time for you all to see, it's really a treat!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Forgotten Man said:
Oh, I feel your pain. When I dropped off the motor to have the cord replaced on my 700, he said there were many other cleaners ahead of me for repair and that it would take a week to get to it... well, he called me three days later and mentioned it was finished! I think he wanted to work on the old work horse!;) Some of these repair guys enjoy the older stuff since it's made well, it's different, it's special and it's easier!...

Well, this repair guy seems to be one of those repair people that like the oldies; his face 'lit up' a little when I told him what I wanted fixed.
I've now also heard a lot of great things about him from people I know: they all agree he is a good honest person - which is very important when dealing with hour-based repair rates.

Thanks for the extra info on the Airway vacuum, that 'sucker's pretty darn cool! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto