Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thomas Edison

DRB

One Too Many
Thomas Edison and his electric car
Thomas_Edison-006s.jpg

Thomas Edison in a Bowler
Thomasedisoninabowler.jpg

Thomas Edison and his wife
ThomasEdisonandwife.jpg

Thomas Edison and his son
ThomasEdisonandson.jpg

Thomas Edison and his team
ThomasEdisonandhisteamofmuckers.jpg

George Eastman (of Kodak) and Thomas Edison discuss the new color camera.
July1929AmericaninventorandindustrialistGeorgeEastmanandThomasEdisonlookingatcolorcameraakodakmoment.jpg

Henry Ford and Thomas Edison
HenryFordandThomasEdisonoutsideEdisonsWestOrangelaboratoryin1915Thetwobecameinvolvedinalongtermbusinessrelationshipwhenin1912FordaskedEdison.jpg

Thomas Edison and his son in his electric car
edisonandhissoninhiselectriccar.jpg

Thomas Edison holding a light bulb
thomas-edison-holding-a-light-bulg.jpg

Last edited:

eto

New in Town
Wow these are fine pictures. I really enjoy this type of history, thanks for posting.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Interesting as Edison was a kind of hero those days. Ever here, so distant from NY, there were streets, buildings, shops called "Thomas Edison". And greatest recording company here in 10s was "Casa Edison".

But the meomry about him looks pale after the 50s... Nowadays I only read about him in texts about Tesla (a true genius too, and a very bad moment in the life of Edison).

Dennis, Great photos!

But the meomry about him looks pale after the 50s... Nowadays I only read about him in texts about Tesla (a true genius too, and a very bad moment in the life of Edison).

Tesla could never get out of Edison's shadow while he was alive so I think payback is due. Tesla was a poor businessman but the impact of his vast accomplishments are unrivaled.

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
Thanks guys, I also found it interesting. It appears that Mr. Edison did not favor any type of particular hat as I see him in a variety of styles.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Thomas Edison remains one of my heroes, along with Henry Ford. Neither man was perfect, but neither deserved the demonizing that modern historians have given them. Edison, in particular, deserves more credit for his methods than he is typically given today. He didn't just randomly stumble upon his discoveries as many would have you believe.

-Dave

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Thomas Edison and his wife
ThomasEdisonandwife.jpg
I think that's also Henry Ford in this shot as well. It may have been taken at Chautauqua. Edison's second wife, Mina Miller Edison, was the daughter of Chautauqua Institution founder, Lewis Miller.
I spent lot of time in the Miller Cottage as a kid, and there is a lot of Edison memorabilia there, including a really cool painting.
My mom said she often saw him toddling around the neighborhood when she was a child in the 1920's.
I've always been an Edison fan, too.

martinsantos

Practically Family
I suppose is USA happened the same here in late 60s and 70s. There was a movement about desconstructing and reviewing the "heroes" of other times. Looks to me Edison memoir suffered from this. (here the most attacked were military from the Paraguay War in 1860s, composer Carlos Gomes, and so on. Names that were highly respected until 1970) Sad, because Edison is one of the few men who really changed the world. And changed it to better, in my opinion.

Neither man was perfect, but neither deserved the demonizing that modern historians have given them.
-Dave

Thomas Edison remains one of my heroes, along with Henry Ford. Neither man was perfect, but neither deserved the demonizing that modern historians have given them. Edison, in particular, deserves more credit for his methods than he is typically given today. He didn't just randomly stumble upon his discoveries as many would have you believe.

-Dave

Tesla described Edison's methods as "trying to find a needle in a hay stack". Tesla was very critical of Edison's methods but I think he still had a grudging respect. Tesla came from an academic background and just didn't see himself in the same light as Edison.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I suppose is USA happened the same here in late 60s and 70s. There was a movement about desconstructing and reviewing the "heroes" of other times. Looks to me Edison memoir suffered from this.

It isn't just Edison. In the 1960s very historical figure in America that was once revered was fatally "deconstructed" to evil status if they were white and male. But this didn't just start in the 1960s. It started at the turn of the 1900s with the efforts of such luminaries in the field of education and history as Charles Beard and John Dewey. It is they you can thank for the utter destruction of America's educational system. That is is the joke it is today we can lay at the feet of these "progressive" educators.

And now, few Americans know the slightest thing about our history or any other country's for that matter (present company here at the Lounge excepted).

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Nikolai Tesla said:
“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”

I believe this was the quote referenced earlier.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Edison, in particular, deserves more credit for his methods than he is typically given today. He didn't just randomly stumble upon his discoveries as many would have you believe.

From what I understand, Edison was a very hard worker, and very good at directing and organizing, as well as seeing the practical and monetary applications of things.

59Lark

Practically Family
If you go to henry ford museum in Dearborn mich, and the village so many of the edison building and workshops have been recreated or moved there that you feel like Thomas will walk around the corner and bump into you. The one lab from Menlo park, my memory isnt what is was, and the florida buildings and the boarding house where his workers lived. My memories are perfect,, but henry sure put a lot of money and effort to rememember his friend in his village. 59Lark

If you go to henry ford museum in Dearborn mich, and the village so many of the edison building and workshops have been recreated or moved there that you feel like Thomas will walk around the corner and bump into you. The one lab from Menlo park, my memory isnt what is was, and the florida buildings and the boarding house where his workers lived. My memories are perfect,, but henry sure put a lot of money and effort to rememember his friend in his village. 59Lark

I agree, Lark, the Ford museum is a great place to spend some time, not only to remember Edison, but many other historical characters and mementos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points