Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Those great 1950's Jackets!

Bogie1943

Practically Family
I am sure a lot of you have seen these items, they are those 1940's-1950's jackets, not like suit jackets but waist jackets. They are often cut really nice with great two color combos, anyone know of any places that still make that kind of thing. I have always wanted a couple to complete that 1950's casual look.:cool2:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I just spoke to the owner of Revamp last night at the Argyle.

She was telling me how they are making a slew of clothing for the HBO show Carnivalle.

By the way, you can have the two tone jackets custom made if you show up for measurements.

Jorge Avalos in Long Beach makes these jackets custom too.

Wild Root

Gone Home
You could have one made, or you could go to AAARDVARKS and get an original for any where from$75. to $400. The two tone's go for big bucks, but the others are cheeper. Bogie, if you like, give me an idea of what size you are and I might be able to find one for you. Or, if you live some where around the Pasadena area, then maybe I can take you shopping and show you where to get the real deal! There is nothing like the real thing!

So, let me know bro!

Your friend,

Wild Root.

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Two tone Hughes?

Revamp has really got some neat stuff. I did have to laugh when I saw the guy in the baggies and the suspenders, cuz I dressed like that in the 80's. I wasn't exactly in step with the time.
My question is....If anyone has seen the pictures of Howard Hughes flying the Spruce Goose...What kind of jacket is it he's wearing? It seems somewhere between an "Actual jacket and outerwear" plus its two tone. I was looking at some HH posters on ebay yesterday and really liked the look.

Curious
Kilgour Trout

farnham54

A-List Customer
Interesting to note;

An awful lot of those clothes on "Revamp Vintage" are not all that disimmilar from the newer linups from modern vendors. I think Vintage is certainly making a comeback. All we need is for feds to be back in style in strength and we'll be all set!

Regards,

Craig

Wild Root

Gone Home
Kilgour Trout,

I would like to answer your question about the Howard Hughes coat. This was a jacket that goes by different names! It is called some times a Hollywood coat, or a bushman or Leasure jacket.

If you watch movies made in the 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s that have swing dancing or take place in big cities, then you will see all different styles of these coats! They mostly were made of two fabrics. First, Gabardine second, wool tweeds! Most of them I have seen used a solid color Gab then, used a pattern of plaid of a contrasting color.

The coat that you have seen Howard Hughes ware is a all gab, but two tones. This was a very popular coat in the late 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s in Hollywood.

I have a friend that has a hand full of them and has one that has the belted back with pleats! Very rare to say the least!

If you go to this link, you will see a photo I found of Howard wearing the coat you mentioned.

http://public.fotki.com/Rob1939/howard/

There is no true name to these coats, but if you call them a Hollywood coat then most people would know what you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re talking about.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Howard's Hollywood coat, what a combination!

When things were good with Howard, he was such a snappy dresser! and he carries the Hollywood off to a tee! I wonder if any of the boys here wear the Hollywood?

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
The two tone Hughes style jacket seems to have been most often called a "Slack jacket" or "loafer jacket", not a "hollywood jacket", which apparently is something else...??? (the jackets with the pleats and belt?)[huh]

I think Indy Magnoli was working on doing a Marty McFly type two tone short jacket...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn