Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on jacket collar "stays"/tabs? (Aka AKA Route 66)

jhl1963

Familiar Face
d399551c0e9c3ab597783c66bd865241.jpg

e29fa8313968023feac3dd72e6a2b1cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say unecessary in any hide Aero offers and I'm not sure they'd do it anyway...I haven't a clue really...but the collar always holds a good deal of rigidity and you can preserve that or treat/fold/manipulate against it, if I correctly understand what you're after...

lol! I also have no clue what's the point of that latch. If you zip the jacket all the way up, buttoning it up won't make any difference. It looks useful on an Indian Ranger but TBH I've no idea how are you supposed to button or unbutton CXL, anyway. The hide is way too rigid and I'm always afraid the button will fall off.

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Was wondering if you meant the throat latch?Have one on an Aero "Original Hercules" which is true to the period design but I think I only ever closed it once to try it so to speak.Also, the use of any neck-wear makes it impractical to use.

Last edited:
I assumed stays referred to points within the collar itself. But I could be wrong? OP chime in. What is it you're after?

lol! I also have no clue what's the point of that latch. If you zip the jacket all the way up, buttoning it up won't make any difference. It looks useful on an Indian Ranger but TBH I've no idea how are you supposed to button or unbutton CXL, anyway. The hide is way too rigid and I'm always afraid the button will fall off.
It's true. When the zip is fully closed that latch is totally useless but it looks cool. Little CR nod on a collared jacket I suppose.

Off topic but...the ranger is such a kick ass jacket that I've yet to see in the wild.

Off topic but...the ranger is such a kick ass jacket that I've yet to see in the wild.

It is. It's been my fav for a long while now and I'd still want one, if only to frame it. I'll never forget that brand new Ranger from Norway that got sold for like less than a hundred bucks...

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Not sure where I got these pictures from originally but what a throat latch!

Attachments

• Indian Ranger.jpg
    Indian Ranger.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 197
  • $_57 (3).jpg
    $_57 (3).jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 208
  • $_57 (6).jpg
    $_57 (6).jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 195

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hate throat latches -- design them out of jackets, and often have my tailor remove them from shirts. Yes, I am eliminating a period correct detail -- so be it.

Never seen a collar stay on a leather jacket.

Last edited:

jhl1963

Familiar Face
Thanks guys - I did mean the throat latch (sorry for the nisnomer) The pics above are aero's Route 66

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robrinay

One Too Many
My view is that if the latch is an original feature of a jacket then it should be included in the reproduction jacket - using it is optional. I agree with Nick 123, the latch on my original G1 is too tight and chokes me when fastened but the one on my Gibson and Barnes repro G1 is looser, comfortable and is invaluable in keeping me warm on cold windy days, converting the collar into a snug mouton neck warmer. As you'll be aware the latch on a G1 buttons back under the collar when not in use - good design feature.

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Have to agree with most here ....however .... the collar latch is a very different beast to the " throat" latch or indeed a "cuff" latch.

Collar latch or straps - as fitted to the ANJ-4, G-1, Irvin, B-3, D-1 M-422A etc ... is used primarilly to keep the collar verticle to keep the user warm and remove draughts around the neck. These are traditionally fitted to the back of the collar and tucked away when not in use ... these I use frequently and they are very useful particularly ( as Sloanie points out) when its " blawin a hoolie" outside.

Cuff strap or latch - use to prevent a cuff zipper from sliding up or to tighten around the cuff of a jacket are incredibly useful in M/C jackets and are a useful alternative / offer much more optionallity than "storm cuffs". These traditionally were fitted to keep the zipper pull "flat" and therefore locked. I use mine all the time on my modern M/C jackets particularly if I'm wearing short gloves under my jacket.

The throat latch or strap - as fitted in the form of a buttoning latch but also in the form of a wire latch as in A2 jackets. These traditionally were used to prevent a zipper undoing or sliding down in use. I have them on my "M/C race leathers" and on some M/C orientated jackets and they do serve the purpose of preventing the zipper from sliding down but they are traditionally positioned an inch or two from the top of the zipper and designed to keep the zipper pull flat and locked. I was told many years ago that the the wire "latch" on the A2 was designed with this purpose in mind although it was seldom used in practice and it's usefulness today appears to be to hang little nick nacks from ( well that's what I do with mine e.g. Capri bell)

Either way .. they all look cool in their place ....

The collar studs ( as used on A-2's and a number of jacket designs including the Route 66 posted by the OP) are just used to keep the collar down and stop it flapping in the wind ..... I had some fitted to my goatskin AL Dakota because I thought they looked pretty cool on the A2 .... they work surprisingly well and are like bottons on button down collared shirts .... I guess you either love them or hate them :)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I use the latch on the ANJ-4 and B-10. It's useful in windy weather, helps keep the cold out - I think if you live in Cali or a similar climate, you would never need it. Try living somewhere that gets blizzards and winds that blows the rain at a 90 degree angle...
My only jacket with a throat latch is my Cooper USN G-1 which I've never used, although I like the concept of a throat latch. I understand what you are saying regarding cold rain at 90 degrees as I just experienced that in your country in July no less! :D

Edward

Bartender
I've had these in a few jackets. Military repop - I do ise it on some of them. Wouldn't consider paying out for a milspec and omitting it - but then it all depends whether accuracy to the original pattern is important to the individual or not. On civilian jackets, it's al lpersonal taste. I had one added to my Bootlegger when I had it made in 2010; I've never used it, but I like it being there as a detail, even if noone else ever sees it because it's tucked under the collar. Not had the type that holds over the zip as in the OP. I do like how it looks, though I don't know how often I'd use it. (I've never used the throat-clip on an A2 either). They do serve a practical purpose, though, in that they take any pressure off the top of the zip, meaning it's less likely to weaken / bend teeth, and do that stopping an inch short thing that a lot of zips do over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ