Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on price?

jadub

A-List Customer
Hi folks, I've been shopping for a leather motorcycle jacket that suits my particular tastes and came across this site. You folks also seem to be on the particular side so I thought I would seek your collective expertise. I came across this jacket on Etsy

https://www.etsy.com/listing/211595...glitz&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

I wonder if I could get your thoughts on price and whatever else you may care to share. It seems to me there is some descreptancy in the measurements. The sleeves as posted are 4 inches shorter than the back length which seems unusual to me. I emailed the seller and she said she's going to check, but haven't heard back yet - holiday ect.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I like it quite a bit. Great patina and the brown color takes some of the edge off this type of jacket. Maybe she measured the sleeves from underneath - pit to end off sleeve? In the pics, the sleeves don't look short at all - if anything, maybe a bit long. I try and keep an eye on Langlitz jackets when they pop up on eBay. They always go for a premium, so I wouldn't expect a screaming deal on a used Langlitz. On the other hand, if it fits you, you get a awesome jacket that has already been broken in for you.

Peacoat

Bartender
Langlitz, of course, makes an excellent jacket, and the Columbia is one of their most popular models. $775 seems to be a bit steep, as I think they are going for about $1000 new.

The sleeves should be measured from the shoulder seam down to the cuff along the outside curve of the elbow. On this jacket the sleeve should measure about 24" not the 21.5" that is shown.

BTW, welcome to The Lounge.

EDIT NOTE: After posting, I saw Grayland's post above about the way the seller may have measured the sleeve. I agree this is probably the way the measurement was taken.

Last edited:

jadub

A-List Customer
Thanks for the thoughts and welcome. I also thought the measurement could be from the pit but she claims it was from the shoulder. Just waiting for her to respond at this point.

I also have been tracking Langlitz on ebay for a while. Prices seem to vary from what I can tell. I saw a padded cascade in need of what I thought were pretty extensive repairs go for over $600 in a standard auction. But then I'll watch a columbia sit untouched with an asking of $500. If I get the jacket listed on Etsy I need to be able to make my money back if it doesn't work out. I like nice things but don't want to loose money if I make a mistake.

Oh, and I agree, this is the first one I've seen in brown and think it lends the look a nice subtlety.

Last edited:

Azog

Familiar Face
Great looking jacket. The shoulders are very broad compared to the chest size so the shoulder seams are likely meant to drop over the shoulder a bit giving more arm length.

Last edited:

trapp

Practically Family
It's a great looking jacket, but for that price I would keep looking. I've been tracking Langlitz listings for a while and you should be able to do better. If the jacket was local, you were able to try it on, and you realized you just loved it, then $700 and change could be justified. But to me that price is too much for a Langlitz that you can't try on firsthand. I consider the price on the "upper end of reasonable" and you might be hard-pressed (and need to be very patient) to get your money back if it didn't work out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points