Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on the Schott 90th anniversary Perfecto?

Gamma68

One Too Many
Wondering what impressions folks have of the Schott 90th anniversary Perfecto jacket, which is available today in a limited release of 500 pieces.

On its Instagram feed, Schott says the jacket is cowhide. When I asked about the "steerhide" label, Schott offered this response:

"The short answer is that it's made from male bovine leather or steer. The long answer is that we use a particular hide in some of our classic jackets that we have historically referred to as steerhide and to avoid confusion, we refer to other leathers from the hides of bovine as cowhide even if they are made from males which most of them are."

It sound like they just use "cowhide" and "steerhide" interchangeably.

Links to the jacket:

https://www.schottnyc.com/per90

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/mens-limited-edition-90th-anniversary-perfecto-jacket.htm

Per90_BLK_FRT1.jpg

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Not surprised about the random steerhide/cowhide labels. It's not like you can tell from the hide whether it was cut off a male of female cow. They probably just use the steerhide label when it's particularly thick cowhide.

As for the jacket, I don't see the appeal over a regular 613/618, considering it's a good bit pricier.

Edward

Bartender
It's USD500 more. For that, you get the snap-on/off fur collar (not included with the 613/618s), and the much nicer lining. Unless the leather is a very significant upgrade over the regular one, I wouldn't be fussed myself; if anything, unless you really want the removable fur collar (as opposed to without or permanently attached), I'd say the Aero equivalent or a Vanson would be money better spent. Not that I dislike Schott - I own one - I just feel the name attracts a premium higher than the jacket itself justifies - in my subjective opinion.

Jejupe

Practically Family
If I was a Schott Perfecto fan I would probably add it to my collection (although I couldn't because my size is not available anymore.) But as I am not a Perfecto fan, I immediately thought that I would rather have a custom Vanson, Aero or Thedi for that money.

Gamma68

One Too Many
I agree with you guys about the price and what you get in return. Compared to the 618, you get a pebbled steerhide, a much nicer lining, 1950s replica zipper sliders, detachable mouton collar (this is a nice touch). I also like the oblong zipper pull. It would be nice if the inside label was a replica of the 1928 Schott label instead of 1950s.

I like Schott products, too. And the 90th anniversary jacket is nice, without question. But for the money, I'd be looking for horsehide instead of a pebbled steer(cow)hide. Something to distinguish it even more from the 618.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Again, Schott reminds us they are fashion jacket maker.

Like Belstaff, they've spent a lot of money to become a fashion jacket maker, so you bet ya. Mission accomplished. I guess that's where the money is.

But a 90th? Is that even a thing? Marketing is like a social cancer, with its endless quest to beat up pseudo events - the limited editions, the spurious anniversaries and the endless, empty occasions contrived to drum up interest. Or not.

I'm not much of a fan of this jacket design but I do like some of Schott's range.

Funny how Schott just can't seem to do anything right while certain other makers who pocket a $200 deposit and never deliver the jacket are still revered as gods. Best get in that eleven years wait line, eh. :3

But yeah, I agree with mostly everything said ITT about this jacket. I like it myself, it's a very nice looking jacket but it costs way too much. I'd much rather buy the "Asset".

Last edited:
To my eye, if this were CXL, I wouldn't balk at the price. The hide on this looks pretty underwhelming. It reminds me a bit of the Rosie perfecto I had. Great jacket, cut to the nuts but the super soft, pebbled hide left me feeling cheated. I'm sure for some that is precisely why they love it tho! Those Rosie's still command a decent sum on the bay, when they rarely appear.

Yep, the hide doesn't even look as good as the Steerhide they use and that, combined with the weight doesn't make it a particularly good deal at $1.3K. But on the other hand, the details are perfect - love the near horizontal chest pocket, just like on the old Durable's - great cut, long sleeves, shearling collar and that lining seems really nice.

Like I said, I love Schott and I still say that aside from Vanson, they make the finest classic cross zip on the market so if I had the means to collect these jackets which is what I'd very much like to do, I would definitely get this one. It's more of a wall piece anyway.

Not that it matters anymore, anyway, as it's all but sold out.

per90.jpg

per90.jpg

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Looks like overpriced fashion stuff on the photos.
P.S. Old Schott's are nice.

Last edited:

mihai

A-List Customer
The cut seems a bit odd. Too slim in the body/compared to the length, no taper. Like these generic biker jackets you find in malls. As others noted the leather texture looks unflattering and kind of soft. Plus that busy inner lining ruins all the authenticity. Resembles to generic jackets you find everywhere.
You can see lots of cloting brands that are selling interpretations of classic jackets(Perfecto, MA-1, N-3 parkas, B-3, G-1...). I don't know what's in those designers mind that they succeed in mutilating the originals. The results are horrible if you know the original design/materials quality.
You can def Schott took the fashion/mainstream direction. This brings unarguably more profit.
For less than 200 bucks you get an XElement "Brando" type of jacket. Much thicker naked steerhide leather than the last years Perfectos. Some details are missing but the fit and quality are almost on par. Made in Pakistan if that matters.
I have a 618 HH Perfecto almost new. HH looks nice(it's eye catching), fit is good. But let's not kid ourselves the jacket is ligher more for casual dressing. For riding you get more suitable heavy duty ones even from budget brands like XElement, not mentioning others more reputable like Aero, LW, Vanson...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko