Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this Ralph Lauren leather jacket?

newtojackets

Practically Family
A seller near me is selling this polo Ralph Lauren jacket made from a deer leather. I always thought PRL leathers were pretty bad (far from RRL), but by the looks of it this jacket looks quite well made?

Photos aren’t ideal, especially if the back (as this is all that the seller listed).

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• D3750C56-4E8F-4BA2-9AEB-F367E020AD87.jpeg
    D3750C56-4E8F-4BA2-9AEB-F367E020AD87.jpeg
    947.3 KB · Views: 246
  • 59F65BCD-1BF4-460F-BEA4-D858B880A014.jpeg
    59F65BCD-1BF4-460F-BEA4-D858B880A014.jpeg
    738.4 KB · Views: 236

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
A seller near me is selling this polo Ralph Lauren jacket made from a deer leather. I always thought PRL leathers were pretty bad (far from RRL), but by the looks of it this jacket looks quite well made?

Photos aren’t ideal, especially if the back (as this is all that the seller listed).

What do you guys think?
Paging @Marc mndt ...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
There are gems in the Polo line. This one looks quite good. It depends on the price. The last time I was at a RL outlet store the Polo line jackets weren't very expensive at all, brand new.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
It has their old Polo label, it's probably 15-20 years old. The time when they still made high quality jackets. Very cool design, great construction quality, great patterns. I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

I bought one of their deerskin halfbelt jackets from the same era for my girlfriend last week.

newtojackets

Practically Family
It has their old Polo label, it's probably 15-20 years old. The time when they still made high quality jackets. Very cool design, great construction quality, great patterns. I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

I bought one of their deerskin halfbelt jackets from the same era for my girlfriend last week.
Ah nice, thanks for the explanation, how was the deerskin? Comparable to RRL quality?

Shame to see their quality decline so significantly

newtojackets

Practically Family
The old Polo jackets are nicer than their current RRL offering.
Actually one more question, were these vintage polo jackets the same price as they are now (adjusted for inflation)? Because if so, at the time they must have offered some pretty great value

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Actually one more question, were these vintage polo jackets the same price as they are now (adjusted for inflation)? Because if so, at the time they must have offered some pretty great value
Back then they were in the €700-€1200 price range if I remember correctly, which was a lot of money back then (and now).

Here's the deerskin halfbelt I bought for my girlfriend last week.

99A0786A-CAAC-4127-9745-6879E5F458CF.jpeg
848A4A48-9C6E-4E01-8871-D405E41147A1.jpeg
6BED97C6-585D-443C-9392-D8512C74CFEC.jpeg

newtojackets

Practically Family

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ralph Lauren used to have a lot of different lines that overlap. You would see Polo labelled A-2 leather jacket as well as RRL's. One can find M-65 style jackets in RRL, Polo and Denim and Supply. They have discontinued the Denim and Supply and I think they have stopped making vintage style leather jackets under Polo label.
IMO current RRL's quality is the same as the old Polo's quality. RRL used to be better. An old version of the RRL's A-2 was made by Buzz Rickson's. Now the RRL leather jackets are made in China mostly. I bought a Polo A-2 of pretty decent quality some years back. Now the same quality A-2 would be placed under the RRL label.

Ralph Lauren used to have a lot of different lines that overlap. You would see Polo labelled A-2 leather jacket as well as RRL's. One can find M-65 style jackets in RRL, Polo and Denim and Supply. They have discontinued the Denim and Supply and I think they have stopped making vintage style leather jackets under Polo label.
IMO current RRL's quality is the same as the old Polo's quality. RRL used to be better. An old version of the RRL's A-2 was made by Buzz Rickson's. Now the RRL leather jackets are made in China mostly. I bought a Polo A-2 of pretty decent quality some years back. Now the same quality A-2 would be placed under the RRL label.
Yup! Old Polo was surprisingly good. Great patterns and above decent leather. Ralph was not shy or ignorant about vintage patterns and the designs were superb IMO. These jackets seem harder and harder to come by and it seems the quality is not ignored by sellers either. The old wools were the same way.
The only line I’ve found to be of lesser quality is the later, early 2000’s polo sport stuff. Still decent patterns but oversized and cheap material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner