Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrifted HD Motorcycle Jacket

mboon85

New in Town
I got this sub 100 dollar early 80s (I think) HD Moto jacket last week. Tagged made in Korea.

Has anyone seen these pre-insane branding Harley jackets?

Cowhide, nothing fancy in terms of leather here, but I like a lot about it.

Smells slightly of a garage but I think I can ozone that out. I like that it has the loops for a belt like a J24 but no belt, but a more reasonable pocket configuration. I have a belt-in Schott CXL113 J24 clone with the D Pocket and it seems too antique a queue for me. Great patina. Might put some obenhaufers on it, idk. I might have it cleaned as I like patina, but not grit per se. There's some pain speckle or something on it.

Not asking a question or anything

Attachments

• E925E395-B3C3-4904-9C7A-8A27959E0191_1_201_a.jpeg
    E925E395-B3C3-4904-9C7A-8A27959E0191_1_201_a.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 132
  • 22B70EC3-12F6-4DF8-A67F-870544D15E1C.jpeg
    22B70EC3-12F6-4DF8-A67F-870544D15E1C.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 138
  • E5FA18B5-7FCC-4B5B-9968-A33FA92D79D0.jpeg
    E5FA18B5-7FCC-4B5B-9968-A33FA92D79D0.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 135
That’s a nice cycle king! The made in Korea versions are nice. Better than when Willy got frisky with the designs IMO. Good score!

skybert

One of the Regulars
Looks like a quality jacket! Works well without the belt. I think (South-)Korea was well involved in leather in the 80s-90s. One of my beaters was made in Korea and held up well.

Enjoy it :)

mboon85

New in Town
I shall enjoy it.

would it look cool with some obenhaufers or anything to give it a bit of shine or do you think that would muck up the aesthetic?

skybert

One of the Regulars
I've never used Obenaufs specifically, but have never had bad experiences using leather conditioner on older leather. Depends whether the jacket seems dry or not. Don't think you can go too wrong either way.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
Great thrift find! I think the Obenauf’s leather oil is also really good at replacing slight musty or garage odors with a nice leather smell. When I use it, I try to make sure the leather surface is pretty clean, otherwise I worry that the oil might carry surface dirt into the leather fibers. The leather is pretty shiny while it is still slick with the oil, but it dulls again once the oil absorbs.

I have also wondered if you could use a brown dye on the worn areas to get sort of a “tea core“ effect in reverse. This may be one of those “don’t try this at home” ideas, though :)

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got this sub 100 dollar early 80s (I think) HD Moto jacket last week. Tagged made in Korea.

Has anyone seen these pre-insane branding Harley jackets?

Cowhide, nothing fancy in terms of leather here, but I like a lot about it.

Smells slightly of a garage but I think I can ozone that out. I like that it has the loops for a belt like a J24 but no belt, but a more reasonable pocket configuration. I have a belt-in Schott CXL113 J24 clone with the D Pocket and it seems too antique a queue for me. Great patina. Might put some obenhaufers on it, idk. I might have it cleaned as I like patina, but not grit per se. There's some pain speckle or something on it.

Not asking a question or anything

This jacket looks great! Point of correction, though, the Schott CXL-113 is a reproduction of the Perfecto-Beck 333, not a J-24.

Great thrift find! I think the Obenauf’s leather oil is also really good at replacing slight musty or garage odors with a nice leather smell. When I use it, I try to make sure the leather surface is pretty clean, otherwise I worry that the oil might carry surface dirt into the leather fibers. The leather is pretty shiny while it is still slick with the oil, but it dulls again once the oil absorbs.

I have also wondered if you could use a brown dye on the worn areas to get sort of a “tea core“ effect in reverse. This may be one of those “don’t try this at home” ideas, though :)
I think dark brown dye is a great idea.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
That looks like a very solid jacket especially for what you paid! Definitely nicer than other Harley stuff from the 90s and 2000s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto