Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Italian Vicenza Horsehide Full Grain Veg.-Tanned Horsehide for Aero Jackets

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
We thought we'd post some quick teaser photos up here...

Hides are Full Grain and vegetable-tanned, following the traditional Tuscan method of slow tanning (pit tanning), using only natural vegetable extract. The result of this tanning process is an extremely natural and high quality product!

Thickness: 1,1 – 1,2 mm

ItalianHorsehideRusset11_zpsd33ae538.jpg

Contrast Shots...Seal / Russet

ItalianHorsehideContrastSealRusset_zpsfd1d73f1.jpg

ItalianHorsehideContrastRussetSeal1_zps7d6fa65c.jpg

For those who would like hide samples of Seal, Russet, or Black, please email info@thurston-bros.com

*Please serious inquires only on the hide samples...each set of samples costs quite a bit

We'll try to get some more photos up soon...

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Here are some photos of the Black:

Full Grain Horsehide
Vegetable-tanned
Traditional Tuscan method of slow tanning (pit tanning) using only natural vegetable extract

ItalianHorsehideBlack9_zps253e9ecf.jpg

ItalianHorsehideBlack8_zps93255b99.jpg

ItalianHorsehideBlack6_zps707be337.jpg

ItalianHorsehideBlack5_zps64d61248.jpg

ItalianHorsehideBlack4_zps68f4adf1.jpg

ItalianHorsehideBlack2_zps98ea2157.jpg

ItalianHorsehideBlack1_zpse3d16ae5.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Here's a good contrast shot of the Seal next to the Russet.

Full Grain Horsehide
Vegetable-tanned
Traditional Tuscan method of slow tanning (pit tanning) using only natural vegetable extract

ContrastShotItalianSealRusset_zps8caab692.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Here is a contrast shot of the Seal and the Black:

Full Grain Horsehide
Vegetable-tanned

SealBlackItalianContrast_zps91ed12b3.jpg

...and, here are a few contrast shots of the Russet, the Seal, and the Black:

Full Grain Horsehide
Vegetable-tanned

SealBlackRussetItalianHorsehide_zpsda732a41.jpg

SealblackrussetItalianHorsehidecontrastshot_zps827f1c8c.jpg

TiltRotorFlyer

One of the Regulars
Carrie,
In your opinion, do you think this leather will hold up well for a motorcycle jacket, i.e. Sonoma Cafe Racer or is one better off ordering a tumbled or battered Aero FQHH? Thanks in advance!

thor

One Too Many
Not to interfere with trade secrets, but I wonder if this ubiquitous "Italian vegetable tanned, full grain leather" is the same tannery source that ELC and BK uses? Does each manufacturer specify different hides even if sourced from the same tannery (ala JC and RM specifying different finish and weights of Shinki HH)?
Just curious.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Congrats to you guys and Aero. I'm sure these leathers will be big hits once the pictoral reviews start coming in :)

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Carrie,
In your opinion, do you think this leather will hold up well for a motorcycle jacket, i.e. Sonoma Cafe Racer or is one better off ordering a tumbled or battered Aero FQHH? Thanks in advance!

I would think that veg tanned wouldn't be the best choice in rainy weather.
HD

I've paraphrased the text below from a good article on Veg.-tanned leathers...in our opinion the rain isn't a problem for someone interested in a veg.-tanned jacket...

As most of you know, vegetable tanned leather is tanned without the use of Chromium salts in the traditional way. Most leather products bought in shops today are chrome-tanned. Veg.-tanned leather will change quite a bit over time, developing a 'patina' of its own. It may stain when wet, and rain can produce a dappled appearance on veg tans that may stay after the jacket dries. Like your skin, the leather will 'tan' over time getting slowly darker. Your jacket will also be vulnerable to marks and oil from your hands. All of this is part of what makes owning a vegetable tanned leather jacket unique though. It will age with you and will last for many years given a little care and attention every now and then. While the rain and sun may change the appearance of your jacket, it will not damage the leather if treated properly. In fact, it is the aging properties of vegetable tanned leather that makes it so special and produces a jacket that will never be repeated.

We performed a brief test this morning, sprinkling water and allowing it to sit on the Russet hide...the water soaked in leaving a dark spot, but when the leather dried (within about 4 minutes), there was no evidence of marking and/or staining to the leather...

Below is a photo of the darkening that occurs with Veg.-tanned leathers.... You can find these patina shots all over the internet.

Vegtannedpatina_zpsf091f799.jpg

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Not to interfere with trade secrets, but I wonder if this ubiquitous "Italian vegetable tanned, full grain leather" is the same tannery source that ELC and BK uses? Does each manufacturer specify different hides even if sourced from the same tannery (ala JC and RM specifying different finish and weights of Shinki HH)?
Just curious.

I recently acquired an ELC A-2 in Warhorse HH and it is does look rather similar. It really is a beautiful hide.

SJ

I believe ELC might use the same tannery. That's not to say that it is the same leather...This stuff looks fantastic Carrie!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB