Thurston Italian Vicenza Horsehide Full Grain Veg.-Tanned Horsehide for Aero Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Superfluous, May 20, 2014.

1. Ordy

Ordy New in Town

Can we get some pics of this horsehide?

2. Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros. Sponsoring Affiliate

We'll have photos soon. Shipping from Italy seems to take some time....

The colors on the way are Dull Russet, Seal Brown, and Black.

3. Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

We thought we'd post some quick teaser photos up here...

Hides are Full Grain and vegetable-tanned, following the traditional Tuscan method of slow tanning (pit tanning), using only natural vegetable extract. The result of this tanning process is an extremely natural and high quality product!

Thickness: 1,1 – 1,2 mm

[​IMG]

Contrast Shots...Seal / Russet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those who would like hide samples of Seal, Russet, or Black, please email info@thurston-bros.com

*Please serious inquires only on the hide samples...each set of samples costs quite a bit

We'll try to get some more photos up soon...

4. Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Here are some photos of the Russet:

Full Grain Horsehide
    Vegetable-tanned
    Traditional Tuscan method of slow tanning (pit tanning) using only natural vegetable extract

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jägernaut

Jägernaut Practically Family

Damn that russet is beautiful.

6. Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

It's really nice stuff!

Here are some photos of the Seal:

Full Grain Horsehide
    Vegetable-tanned
    Traditional Tuscan method of slow tanning (pit tanning) using only natural vegetable extract

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Here are some photos of the Black:

Full Grain Horsehide
    Vegetable-tanned

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Here's a good contrast shot of the Seal next to the Russet.

Full Grain Horsehide
    Vegetable-tanned

[​IMG]

9. Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Here is a contrast shot of the Seal and the Black:

Full Grain Horsehide
    Vegetable-tanned

[​IMG]

...and, here are a few contrast shots of the Russet, the Seal, and the Black:

Full Grain Horsehide
    Vegetable-tanned

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. TiltRotorFlyer

TiltRotorFlyer One of the Regulars

Carrie,
    In your opinion, do you think this leather will hold up well for a motorcycle jacket, i.e. Sonoma Cafe Racer or is one better off ordering a tumbled or battered Aero FQHH? Thanks in advance!

11. I would think that veg tanned wouldn't be the best choice in rainy weather.
    HD

12. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

Carrie, that leather looks amazing. JC is going to be very pleased! Looking forward to my Seal Brown Plainsman.

13. Sir Jacket

Sir Jacket Practically Family

Very pretty. Thanks, Carrie. Can't wait to see the jackets. Tempted yet again. SJ

14. thor

thor One Too Many

Not to interfere with trade secrets, but I wonder if this ubiquitous "Italian vegetable tanned, full grain leather" is the same tannery source that ELC and BK uses? Does each manufacturer specify different hides even if sourced from the same tannery (ala JC and RM specifying different finish and weights of Shinki HH)?
    Just curious.

15. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Congrats to you guys and Aero. I'm sure these leathers will be big hits once the pictoral reviews start coming in :)

16. Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

I've paraphrased the text below from a good article on Veg.-tanned leathers...in our opinion the rain isn't a problem for someone interested in a veg.-tanned jacket...

As most of you know, vegetable tanned leather is tanned without the use of Chromium salts in the traditional way. Most leather products bought in shops today are chrome-tanned. Veg.-tanned leather will change quite a bit over time, developing a 'patina' of its own. It may stain when wet, and rain can produce a dappled appearance on veg tans that may stay after the jacket dries. Like your skin, the leather will 'tan' over time getting slowly darker. Your jacket will also be vulnerable to marks and oil from your hands. All of this is part of what makes owning a vegetable tanned leather jacket unique though. It will age with you and will last for many years given a little care and attention every now and then. While the rain and sun may change the appearance of your jacket, it will not damage the leather if treated properly. In fact, it is the aging properties of vegetable tanned leather that makes it so special and produces a jacket that will never be repeated.

We performed a brief test this morning, sprinkling water and allowing it to sit on the Russet hide...the water soaked in leaving a dark spot, but when the leather dried (within about 4 minutes), there was no evidence of marking and/or staining to the leather...

Below is a photo of the darkening that occurs with Veg.-tanned leathers.... You can find these patina shots all over the internet.

[​IMG]

17. Sir Jacket

Sir Jacket Practically Family

I recently acquired an ELC A-2 in Warhorse HH and it is does look rather similar. It really is a beautiful hide.

SJ

18. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I believe ELC might use the same tannery. That's not to say that it is the same leather...This stuff looks fantastic Carrie!

19. Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Hi All,

We viewed samples of the veg.-tanned horsehide that ELC uses, but we decided to run with this instead. It's from a different Italian tannery...

20. thor

thor One Too Many

Thanks for the info Carrie; that is some beautiful leather!!!