Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie experts and afficianados,..please help me identify,...

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
.....this MOST unusual piece of neck wear I found at a local thrift shop. I passed this one by last time I was there, as it included another even more bizarre tie, ( for a future thread) both of which appeared to me to be home made when I first saw them. Upon further inspection,I found this is not really the case, so I bought them this time.
The tie pictured here, is made of a quite remarkable fine silk brocade fabric, a red and green floral pattern on black.
That in itself is maybe justification for buying it, but the real deal clincher is the sheer asymetrical weirdness of the piece! I at first thought it was home made because of this feature.

There is also a label which reads:
Auerbach and Guelle ( (?) My best guess here due to the worn silver print on the label.)
The Palace ( In larger script, so I assume it's a model name)
Clothing Co.
Kansas City MO.

It measures 47 inches in length, and 5 inches wide at the wide end.
The longest side of the wide end is 4-1/2 inches, while the other side is 3 and 1/4 inches long. It was intentionally sewn and pressed into this configuration by all indications. Evidenced by the green stripe at the end of the fabric on the one side only, and it's overall construction.
But maybe I am wrong? Maybe it is just a factory second? A mistake?? Or was it a would-be fashion craze that just never took off? Hard to say as I've never encountered anything quite like it.
So I'm wondering if anyone else has seen a tie like this? If so then, ....what the heck is it, and from what decade? I think 20's or 30's just in taking a somewhat educated guess here from what can be seen. Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking, ...I just don't know,...[huh]

weirdvintagetie.jpg
[/IMG]

wideend.jpg
[/IMG]

label.jpg
[/IMG]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Maj.Nick Danger said:

There is also a label which reads:
Auerbach and Guelle ( (?) My best guess here due to the worn silver print on the label.)
The Palace ( In larger script, so I assume it's a model name)
Clothing Co.
Kansas City MO.

In 1887, Messrs. Auerbach & Guettel founded The Palace Clothing Co. which grew to operated eight high end men's stores in Missouri.

The business ceased operation in 1964.

This is their former flagship store in downtown Kansas City, built in 1924:

img_4921-copy.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Awesome info Tomasso, thanks! :)
That narrows the date of it down to between roughly 1924 to 1964. Although the condition of the fabric makes it look as if it were purchased last week, I think it might safely be dated to about the middle of that range. [huh] The ascot doesn't seem to be a common item of apparel after say, ..the 1930's or early 1940's or so?
And yes, ascot did come to mind, but I was under the impression an ascot was more of a straight piece of material, more like a scarf,...but then I've never really seen one except worn by actors in vintage films now and then. I'll have to google it now ,...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran