Tiki Culture

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by Tiki Tom, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

Have landed safely in Hawaii. Travel involved getting tested twice in three days. I think we timed it perfectly, as I fear that things may get more restricted again in a few weeks. Visited the tiki bar across the street already with my wife’s sister and her hubby. Living in Aloha shirts; wear lava lavas around the condo. Listening to the local Hawaiian music radio station (KINE 105). Walked to the beach three times in five days. I’m trying to squint hard to maintain the tiki illusion, even as there are a thousand practicalities to attend to. Aloha!

Fading Fast, Woodtroll and Zombie_61 like this.
  2. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Mo bettah wahinies Kaneohe bro. Grab a board and let's go!

Sounds like you're Waikiki Beach based. Too many Gis, MPs, Shore Patrol bro; lay off Hotel Street.
    Stick to the windward side Oahu. :)

Na ke akua e ho' opomaika'i nohoh palemkana bro:D

Zombie_61 likes this.
  3. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

Married into a windward family. Mother in law lives in Kaneohe. We are one town over, in Kailua. Very green and rainy; a shower or two every day, but it’s warm and intermittently sunny. Feral chickens in every parking lot. Wake up to the sound of roosters. Mostly life is lived in shorts and t-shirts. Went out the other day in my wide-brimmed fawn colored fedora (good sun protection). No one raised an eyebrow. There is an antique shop/second hand store about a block away that sells vintage Aloha shirts, old tiki carvings, etc. Can’t wait to take a look. I wonder when it will sink in that I live here now. How’s the summer going in Chicago?

4. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Hot. 91* dry wind out of the west. Saw a surfer along Lake Shore Drive the other day.
    He was trying to catch a wave across a placid Lake Michigan. Long way from Kanoher Beach.:(

5. julianclar

julianclar New in Town

hello

6. Hats Matter

Hats Matter One of the Regulars

I have done a fair amount of travel in my life and among the places I have visited is French Polynesia. Many people refer to it as Tahiti but this is just one of the Society Islands. Other well known islands include Moorea and Bora Bora. My avatar is a phote I shot from a motu (small island) showing the channel between Raiatea and Taha'a. Anyway.........as I write this post I am looking at a Tiki I purchased in Papeete that was carved in the Marquesas. I also have a wooden carving of a sting ray that was also carved in the Marquesas that I purchased at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. When I get a chance I will post a photo.

Zombie_61 and Tiki Tom like this.
  7. Hats Matter

As promised here is a photo of the Tiki I purchased in Papeete. This shows the front and rear view of the carving.

IMG_E1484 (2).JPG IMG_1487 (2).JPG

Tiki Tom, Fading Fast and Zombie_61 like this.
  8. Hats Matter

Again, as promised, here is a photo of the sting ray carving I purchased at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. Both the Tiki and the sting ray were carved in the Marquesas

IMG_E1490 (2).JPG IMG_1493 (2).JPG

9. clementishutin

clementishutin New in Town

The interest with what would become known as tiki culture in the United States dates back more than a century. While Don the Beachcomber's island-themed design was a fantastic fit for the economically distressed era, the movement may not have taken off if it hadn't been such a perfect fit for the era.

Tiki Tom and Zombie_61 like this.
  10. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

810A61B1-4ABA-4BED-9B68-320738AB3C6B.jpeg Just unpacked! My tiki collection sitting at the end of the bar, awaiting shelves. Mostly from Hawaii, with one each from Tahiti, American Samoa, and New Zealand.

11. clementishutin

clementishutin New in Town

I saw something like that on nickelodeon

12. alanwake82

alanwake82 New in Town

Thanks @TT
    Remind me of last few trips, like the Purple Orchid