Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tilley Hats Question

Swamp_Fox

New in Town
Hi, folks. I've been around for a while, but I read more than I post. I've gathered that there are some Tilley hat enthusiasts around here, and I hoped some of you could help me out.

I want a rugged but nice-looking hat for outdoor use, so I don't tear up my fedora or outback-style western hat. I'm interested in the Tilley LTM6 or the T4MO. They appear to be identical except for material. I think I would prefer the feel of the cotton over the synthetic fabric, (I don't care for the scratchy, plastic feel of synthetic fabrics) but I've noticed that the sides of the brim on the T4MO appear to droop down in some of the pictures I've seen. In the pictures I've seen of the LTM6, the brims appear to keep their shape better, without drooping. If that is the case, I would rather get the LTM6.

Does anybody have experience with both? Am I right in thinking that the brim of the LTM6 holds its shape better than that of the T4MO, or is that just a coincidence with the pictures I've seen?

I appreciate any information or advice! Thanks!

EggHead

Practically Family
I was thinking about buying a Tilley, but after seeing other people wearing them, well, for my taste they look too droopy, both brim and crown. I don't find them (in terms of looks) that much different then the cheap similar ones. So for myself I chose to pay extra $20 and get a fur felt Akubra which looks more presentable.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah, but I don't think Tilley is about the look. The sheer quality and numerous features that make it the perfect sailing/watersports/outdoors hat are the attraction. If it looks good, that's a bonus!

Duper

Practically Family
I have owned an LTM5 airflo for about 8 years. I still get many compliments when wearing the hat. It is definately for more relaxed occassions. A terrific working around the yard, beach, pool, camping, travel hat. Practically indestructable.

Sweat a bit too much, throw it in the wash. Been sitting around the campfire too long, throw it in the wash. It air dries very quickly. Jump in the lake or pool, no concerns. Pack it in your carry-on or heck just roll it up and put it in your hip pocket.

I myself prefer the nylon version. Besides the texture I liked the colour offerings more. The wire in the brim really does help it maintain its shape which is likely more important as the brim size increasess. The mesh on top really does allow the air to circulate on those extra hot summer days.

Perhaps all the fond memories I have while wearing this hat have clouded my judgement,,nah,,it is a darn good hat.

Rider

Familiar Face
I cannot help you with your question. However, I own two T-3s of different colors: olive for the woodlots and white for boating. I love my Tilley's. I'm not sure you can judge a Tilley's brim from marketing photos. In my experience they all seem pretty soft.

Swamp_Fox

New in Town
I appreciate the responses. I'm planning to spend a month on a dig in Israel in 2012 (yeah, I'm thinking ahead) and I need a good packable hat that will stand up to abuse. I wore a felt outback type hat on a dig in 2008 and it really took a beating. I'd hate to subject either of my nice fur felt hats to that kind of abuse. A Tilley sounds like it would fit the bill nicely, but I'm not sure yet. I'd certainly appreciate more info from Tilley owners to help me decide.

As an aside, the hat I wore the first time was a Stetson "La Mesa" from Cabela's. It gave up the ghost after just two years of hard use. I really wish I would have saved a little more and invested in a fur felt hat, which would probably still be going strong. Live and learn.

Rider

Familiar Face
My oldest Tilley is about 15 years old. It still looks new, and has only been through the washing machine twice in 13 years. Tilley, however, recommends occasional washings to keep accumulated oils from deteriorating the hat. It is one tough hat, I am telling you.

EggHead

Practically Family
If you are thinking about price, Tilley is $70, Akubra is $90. Not a big difference, I would choose (and chose) on other criteria.
I can see though that Tilley would be better for fishing and sitting around campfire - easier to clean afterwards.
But if you find something important and journalists will be swarming around to take a picture of a famous archeologist (you!), the hat that you choose will end up on the cover of a magazine!

carldelo

One Too Many
I've noticed in the last few years that much of the nylon used in outerwear no longer has an artificial feel - I have nylon hiking pants that feel like soft cotton canvas, for example. I imagine Tilley uses similar high-quality material in their hats. In your position, I would contact Noggintops, a vendor I've used before who sells Tilley, and ask them their candid opinion of the differences between the hats you have in mind. I've always had good experience dealing with them, and they have a good return policy.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Tilley Endurables are rather expensive for what they are but sometimes they really fit the bill for a packable/crushable hat that you don't mind getting wet, dirty, or sweat-stained since they can be washed rather easily.

I have no direct experience with the two models specified but I do own two others: a TW2 winter hat (with ear and forehead flaps) that really works great when we are immersed in the worst winter weather. This is my "go-to" hat for x-country skiing, snowblowing, and snowshoeing. Still looks presentable for errands around town as well. I also own an LTM3 which is the Nylamtium (nylon) version of the popular T3. I like this AIRFLO model since it offers much better ventilation than the cotton models with equivalent "look" and performance.

http://www.tilley.com/LTM3-AIRFLO-Nylamtium-Hat.aspx

I use this for kayaking, backpacking, and other more active outdoor activities.

Tilley also offers this material in other wider-brimmed hats.

Just remember to to order one size larger than your normal felt hat size in a Tilley.

Swamp_Fox

New in Town
That's a good point about higher quality nylon having a more natural feel. I'll probably end up going with the synthetic version if I decide on a Tilley.

I agree that it's kind of hard to shell out $70 for a Tilley when I could get an Akubra for not much more! I'd probably get a lot more use out of an Akubra, in the long run. The Tilley would be a more practical travel hat, though. Decisions, decisions.

I'm not too worried about photo ops on the dig. I'm no archaeologist, just a volunteer. If anything significant gets discovered, the real archaeologist will be the one getting the credit.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have had Tilley hats for years. A T3 being my go to hat all threw high school and college. I still have one sitting in my car in case of emergencies. What ever you choose you will not be disappointed.
Johnny

Morgoroth

New in Town
Micky Mouse Ears

I need a recommendation for a hat.
I have several hats, but not one that I think will really fit what I need for this trip.
I'm going to Disney World!
And I need a hat.

It needs to be weather proof, block sun, and crush-able would be nice.
But most of all, it has to stay cool.
I have felt and straw Indy style hats that I love, but none of them fit all these requirements.

So, what do you guys think would be best?

jkingrph

Practically Family
Another agreement on the Tilley. I have one, cannot remember the model, but it has a band of mesh at the top where the crown meets the sides and is much cooler than the ones with just a couple of grommets for ventilation. It's one of the lighter tan colors, and with a darker color under the brim cuts down on reflected glare into the eyes.

Waterproof, crushable, has a built in tuckaway chin strap which would be good on a lot of rides, and cool. You really will have a hard time finding anything better from one who has been there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112