Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tilley Travels

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a thread for Tilley lovers. Post pictures, tell storys, talk about/review the products.

http://www.tilley.com/default.aspx

Att: bartenders. If you feel this thread would be better suited in a different area like "the great outdoors" please feel free to move it.

Johnny

juggles

New in Town
Mentioned elsewhere that I just got a TW2 at a very fair price at REI.com. I've had an Airflow for years but it may have disappeared after a recent job in Indiana. Still hoping it turns up. Not what I prefer to wear around town but great hats for dealing with the elements.

Duper

Practically Family
David Morgan already has the new Tilley S7 on his website. I am a Tilley fan and am liking that hat. DM lists it as packable and crushable. I did not know you could do that with Shantung? Also the brim dimensions are listed as slightly different than the Tilley sight.

Last edited:

Razzman

One Too Many
I've had a Tilley for 15+ years. It could be longer, I just can't remember the year. Purchased in Nova Scotia while on a trip. I don't remember the model but it's been everywhere from scouting trips, cruising, hiking, kyaking etc. It's still in good shape. I use it as juggles suggested in dealing with the elemnts.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I have around 15 Tilleys and you can find me over at their Facebook Page most days. I'm also friends with a couple of people at Tilley in Toronto. They are a great bunch of people with a great hat. They are not "dress fedoras" (except for a couple of winter hats) but mostly outdoor hats with great sun protection. I wear one everyday at work and my two favorites are the TH5 (hemp) or the TWC5 Outback. I see that they just came out with several new hats that will be in the New Spring Catalogue coming out as we speak. You have a lifetime warranty on most of their hats (except the Raffia) and the two year loss protection so what else do you need for a great outdoor hat?

Like I said above, I have a bunch of Tilley hats. I also have their Intrepid Shoulder Bag to carry my small netbook computer. Add my collection of newer fedoras and vintage fedoras and you can see why the wife dreads the UPS Truck (LOL)!

johnnycanuck

My older T5. Picking up the mail with my big girl.
2f4dca47.jpg

Johnny

Simon82

One of the Regulars
As much as I love my three beaver-felt fedoras, it gets so hot in Alabama much of the year that my usual go-to hat is a Tilley. I'm not fond of my Hemp Tilley because it's become really wrinkled and shapeless, but my TM10 has what they call their "3D mesh" and is both cooling and mostly holds its shape. Having already had one basal cell carcinoma removed from my face, the Tilley is nearly always atop my head when outside in the spring, summer and fall months.

Kbobrex

New in Town
I just bought my first Tilley the other day at REI, an LTM6 Airflow, which I will bring to Colorado on a 3 day rafting fly fishing expedition. Been wearing it around the yard to get used to it. Really comfortable. I hope it holds up as well as they claim. Expect it will see a lot of use this summer at property we own in the Catskills. I have a hunch that a Tilley and a tractor were made for each other.

Moondancer

New in Town
Tilley is/was my first "hat" as opposed to "cap". I bought it on a trip to BWCWA in '02. We leave for Ely this Friday and the Tilley is already packed. (Along with my PB Cuenca.) I should have bought a 7 3/8 instead of a 7 1/4, but it works. As best as I can tell, it's a T3. Cotton duck, green under the brim, side snaps. It's battered and worn, but perfectly serviceable.

johnnycanuck

Here are my two summer Tilleys
24 year old T3 that was once a dark brown.

and my newer T5 in duck cotton. I think this is close to 11 years old

johnny
Some day I will get around to posting my winter cap.

Reactions: RJR

Fedster

Familiar Face
Let me resurrect this thread and ask: do you Tilley people leave the foam in or do you remove it? I do not deal with water so I do not need the hat to float, so I removed it, thinking it would just keep me too warm. But, as an insulant the foam might actually protect me from the heat... any experience either way?

RJR

Let me resurrect this thread and ask: do you Tilley people leave the foam in or do you remove it? I do not deal with water so I do not need the hat to float, so I removed it, thinking it would just keep me too warm. But, as an insulant the foam might actually protect me from the heat... any experience either way?
Hat-Tilley LTM 5.jpg
I leave it in mine,honestly never thought of removing it.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
I have a Tilley LTB5 nylon hat that I really like, but I don't see it on their website anymore so I'm wondering if it's been discontinued.

It never occurred to me to remove the foam.

johnnycanuck

I have never removed the foam in my hat either. And yes it seems they have discontinued all the 5 hats they had..... Not happy about that but it's not like I was going to buy another one anytime soon.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112