Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Beard or Not to Beard?

FedoraDave

New in Town
That is the question... I have been asking myself lately and now after coming to no resolution I direct the inquiry to the good folks of the Lounge. I understand that looks speak nothing about the character of an individual and as such I should just choose the style I like best. Regardless I would genuinely appreciate input from the perspective of the external observer and since I hold in high regard the sense of style and taste held by the majority of loungers it seems only fitting to ask for their collective opinion. Without further delay

Mr.FedoraDave as he is, mostly unbearded -
me2.jpg

Mr.FedoraDave as he is, mostly bearded -
me3.jpg

Mr.FedoraDave as he is, green with no beard
me.jpg

So should I beard or should I bare?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I love a nice full beard, but on you particularly, I think it looks better without. You have such a nice chin and it seems a shame to hide it. Furthermore, does your beard get fuller and longer than on the second photo? Because that could make a difference, but you look better without beard than with the amount of beard in the second photo. :)

I don't like the goatee, but that's just my personal preference, I don't like goatees on anyone.

FedoraDave

New in Town
Thank you for the replies.

Laura, while my facial hair will grow longer it will not grow more full. The second picture is weeks of growth without the slightest use of a trimmer or scissors to shape or remove stray hair...at least its uniform? [huh]

Fleur & Lolly, I will definitely move on to a mustachio (I really like that word for some reason) as my next facial evolution should I decide to abandon and cut my losses with the beard (pun heavily intended).

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
You really do have a beautiful jawline, so show that off. But I wouldn't mind a moustache either. ;) Like this:

nick%20cave2.bmp

While Nick Cave suits the handlebar 'tache, I'm not sure it would work for Fedora Dave (kinda reminds me of Ivan Milat, Australian F'Loungers will know what I mean).

mikepara

Practically Family
Personally I love beards. A full set as the sailors call them.

The problem with beards is:
1.They age you by about 10 years.
2. You've got to be able to carry off a full cheek growth really or it looks too flymsy like a kid 'trying' to grow a beard.
3. I've been told the vast majority of females hate facial hair.

So unless it looks like Tintins Captain Haddock or Popeye's Bluto I wouldn't recommend it.

I shaved mine because it went grey, I looked old enough as it was!

Good luck with your choice.

Mr Zablosky

New in Town
I don't think full beards were common in the US during this 1920-1945 stretch. Folks with beards in the old movies were bums, convicts on the lam, or some sort of commie. So, it depends what you're trying to say about yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points